TomTom v in built car sat navs — TomTom Community

TomTom v in built car sat navs

Albert RossAlbert Ross Posts: 20 [Apprentice Traveler]
Last August I bought a new Seat Ibiza that has, as standard, a Sat-Nav, so now I do not need a Sat-Nav that I have to stick to the windscreen each time I have to use it.

My question is that with more and more new cars being sold with in-built Sat Navs, are the days of stand alone TomToms numbered?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,862 Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @Albert Ross

I've only been in a few cars with Built-in Satnavs a SEAT Leon a couple of Volvo's and a Ford focus... They were all useless, your lucky if the maps are updated once a year
    You could almost buy a couple of Tomtom devices for the price dealers want for a Map update
    I think if was the Seat Leon... After it had given the instructions to go around a roundabout and take the 'n' exit....
    it said "Now Drive a very long way" :)

Not for Me

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,019 Superuser
    edited December 2019
    Hi @“Albert Ross”

I have a car with its own inbuilt Nav. It also has CarPlay on it and I can assure you from a Nav point of view I use the TT GO Navigation app as it is far better than the cars one. After I asked the inbuilt Nav to give me a route home from somewhere 9 miles away I have never asked the inbuilt Nav to give me a route again.

If it did not have the CarPlay option I would use my TT Sat Nav before the inbuilt.

Doug
  • Albert RossAlbert Ross Posts: 20 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for both your comments. I think you are right YFM, I think that they are updated annually, which for the casual user is probably quite adequate. AFAIK they are free updates. When driving the new car home from the dealer, at one stage the navigation system had me going round in a large circle before I decided to 'break free' and it re-routed me quite satisfactorily, I put it down to the fact I had no experience of the idiosyncrasies of the device. Rather than saying 'keep right' as the TomTom does it says, 'now steer right', and there are other phrases which will take some getting used to.

On my very first TomTom I downloaded a Julian Clary soundalike voice from the internet, with various innuendos built in, an example of which was, "You have reached your destination, you took a long time coming, but I think it was worth it" Quite funny the first time, but eventually it wore a bit thin.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,252 Superusers
    I have an integrated satnav in my new car but i i still use my GO6200. No comparaison.
  • Albert RossAlbert Ross Posts: 20 [Apprentice Traveler]
    miketorcy wrote: »
    I have an integrated satnav in my new car but i i still use my GO6200. No comparaison.

Not all integrated sat-navs are the same though. I guess it is all a question of getting use to them and the way they work. One big difference I have found are the POIs. POIs in the TomTom are for things like Stately homes or places that may be worth visiting. The definition of POIs in my car sat-nav is just for things petrol stations or restaurants, they may be very useful, but hardly a point of interest.

The reason I will persevere with the integrated sat-nav is that I do not have to fiddle around trying to get it to adhere to the windscreen, which I find a bore, especially when it falls down unexpectedly.

• miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,252 Superusers
    Last month, I participated in the shooting of a TV show with my car club. I was able to speak GPS with the journalist who by his trade tries many cars throughout the year. He confirmed that he never found a satisfactory integrated GPS.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,862 Superusers
    Hi
    @Albert Ross
    (Snip) The reason I will persevere with the integrated sat-nav is that I do not have to fiddle around trying to get it to adhere to the windscreen, which I find a bore, especially when it falls down unexpectedly
    I use the Dashboard Mounting Disks... I get zero Night or Day Screen reflections and the device is in easy reach, I've never had a Satnav suction mount fail ....

Tomtom... Dashboard Mount Disks
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/mounts-docks/dashboard-mount-disks/

ATB YFM