Update Via 53 via USB — TomTom Community

Update Via 53 via USB

garty22garty22 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited June 2019 in Map installation
My Via 53 has a 7.83GB map update waiting. WiFi updates do work - I have a decent internet and WiFi connection but a map update always takes all night. If for any reason it fails, I don't have a satnav the next morning.

So I'd like to update it via USB like I did my old TomTom. Download the update first to my PC then push it to the device. Official guides suggest you should be able to do this just by installing MyDrive Connect and plugging it in via USB. However the moment I plug it in I get the following message:

UPDATE THE EASY WAY

Get the latest updates directly on your device. No computer needed!

..and there's no way to go any further. It just insists on doing the WiFi update

I definitely have the latest version of MyDrive connect. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• garty22garty22 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, so it essentially is uses the PC's internet connection instead of its own WiFi.

It's disappointing though that the newer TomToms can't update via MyDrive. I much preferred seeing the map download, then seeing the progress as it was written to the device. When the device handles the whole thing by itself it just seems to take 3-4 times as long and you don't know exactly what it's doing.

So, boo TomTom, thanks YamFazMan for the answer.
  • Ts_1948Ts_1948 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    My VIA 53 is stuck on map update and I’m unable to update a map. I can’t do anything in this position!
  • HudderzHudderz Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Every answer they give tells you to update via reliable Wifi!!!! I don't have a consistent internet connection as I live in a rural area. I was told simply that nothing could be done and to return to vendor for replacement!!! TomTom washing their hands of problem. Full marks to Amazon though - they replaced without problem immediately and sent a new one. Now I have the same problem of maps not downloading and no alternative! I WILL NEVER buy another TomTom. Unreliable and extremely poor customer support.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,550
    Superuser
    Hi @Hudderz

I assume that when you connect your device to the PC, which has My Drive Connect running on it ,you are getting the Flash screen saying do the updates via Wifi. Well when you get that screen then ignore the PC and whilst the TT unit is still attached to the PC, which it is using only as a means of connecting to the internet, use the menu system on the TT device to do the Update as you would do if you were trying to do it whilst connected to Wifi directly.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @Hudderz
    Hudderz wrote: »
    Every answer they give tells you to update via reliable Wifi!!!! I don't have a consistent internet connection as I live in a rural area. I was told simply that nothing could be done and to return to vendor for replacement!!! TomTom washing their hands of problem. Full marks to Amazon though - they replaced without problem immediately and sent a new one. Now I have the same problem of maps not downloading and no alternative! I WILL NEVER buy another TomTom. Unreliable and extremely poor customer support.
    I can't see how it Tomtom's fault that you have a poor/unreliable internet connection...
    Tomtom are also correct in saying return the device though Amazon, your sales/return contract is with Amazon....

Maybe useful....
    See Option (2) Updating over USB with myDrive Connect running in the background

Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1627098/#Comment_1627098

ATB YFM