Lifetime update no longer availible — TomTom Community

Lifetime update no longer availible

DellyDelly Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi i have a tomtom profesional 6250 its about 1 1/2 yr old and i recieved a email from tomtom saying lifetime maps can no longer be supported on my device.
Can i purchase a map and download onto my device or would i be wasting my money? Thanks

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,168
    Superuser
    Hi @Delly

The Professional GO6250 is advertised as having Lifetime maps and as it is a currently offered model then I doubt the email is correct as you describe.. Are you sure the email related to that model, did you have a previous model or are you sure it is a genuine email from Tomtom.

If you are not getting updates offered then contact Tomtom Customer support to query the email. You have not indicated where you are so here is the list of Tomtom Numbers. Do not answer the questions but wait for an agent to answer.

The last update was version 10.35 however they have stopped offering that map and offering the previous version 10.30 because of a problem with the 10.35 version. They are anticipating offering the next update in December.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1115662/phone-numbers-to-contact-customer-support-new

Doug
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi @DougLap

I must have missed that notice as with the current 10.35 version map I have been getting some "crazy illogical routes here in the UK" on both my 6250 and Go Camper such that I have had to resort to using the "car" as my vehicle setting to avoid being sent on erroneous journeys ............. :'(

How can I get the previous version 10.30 map please?
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

If you delete the current 10.35 map from your GO Camper, provided you have another map on the device so that option is available, then if you go to Add a Map and want to reload the current European Map you will be offered the 10.30 version..

Don't know if you can delete the map on the 6250 as I think you only have the one map on it.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Yes the 6250 only has the Europe map, so no go, will try the Go Camper later today. Many thanks :) .
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Lost_Soul

The hope is that the problems that have been noted in the 10,35 maps will be resolved in the next update due in December.

I have tried it on my GO Camper and it did go back to the 10.30 version.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

I do hope so............. ;)

For example plotting a route exiting a local village (Bricket Wood) to get petrol in Chiswell green rather than just going around a "longabout" (extended roundabout) and then straight up the A405 which would take 4 mins / 1.75 miles, the 10.35 offering is to join the M1 at J6 southbound go down to J5 exit go round the roundabout and return back to J6, exiting to then join the A405 at the very same longabout it obviously has an issue with (albeit some 10 yards on the opposite carriageway) = 7 miles or 12 minutes................. :s

Whilst I can ignore these "local" deviations driving in unknown locations I felt I was often going around in complete circles and could not trust the device.
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Lost_Soul

Just tried Centre Bricket Wood to Shell garage. It goes via Lye lane turning left into North Orbital Road to go to the Long Roundabout at M25 then returning to the garage. 2.5 miles 8 minutes on map 10.30.

Doug
    edited November 2019
    Hi @DougLap

I am back on the Europe Map Version 10.30 on the Go Camper :)

And using the Camper Light setting it navigates as expected (4 mins / 1.75) on the above example, but changing to a Camper Heavy (all settings the same apart from Gross weight set at 5t), it then reverts back to the erronouse 7 miles / 12 mins) routing........ :'(

I had not noticed this before as I believe I always used the Camper Light setting.

TT obviously have some work to do on these maps - I had also noticed that TT is avoiding areas covered by the Safer Lorry Scheme (SLS) that came into force in London on 1 September 2015 and treating our Motorhomes as Lorries (I do not believe Motorhomes are covered by this scheme).
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Lost_Soul

Just changed mine to 5 tonne and still showing same route from Bricket Wood Centre as 4.5T and as described in my previous post.

However if I Start the journey in Mount Pleasant Road very near the M1 end it then does what you are saying.

Just to add the speed setting is 60mph.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Lye Lane in places is "a narrow one vehicle width route" and not a road we would usually frequent locally especially in a larger vehicle ! .............

There is obviously something about the "Longabout" area on the A405 that confuses the mapping to generate these daft results.

Whilst nothing is ever perfect these illogical routes are irritating and as I said above if you know the local area you can disregard the instructions from the Tomtom device. A few weeks ago I was driving up to a village called Haynes (Bedford). I had been there once before and expected a journey of ~32 miles / 44 minutes, but from memory the 10.35 map offering was 12 miles longer. (I then changed my Vehicle setting back to a car to get a sensible route.)
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

It is frustrating when you get odd routes locally is it does result in wondering what happens in areas we don't know.

I have a camper unit from another maker. It totally refused to drive 9 miles from a local village to us via an A road and a B road both of which are perfectly useable. The result was a 23 mile route instead including the M25 and A2 with all the inevitable traffic.. If you forced the device to use the Sensible route when it got to the Junction of the A and B roads it ignored the turning and recommended going 20 yards further and turning into a single track road in front of a parade of shops then exited at the end and returned to take the turn it had ignored.

After 2 years plus of this bad routing after a recent update it is now suggesting taking the A road and does not direct you through the Shopping Parade. No it still ignores the turning and directs you on a longer route of about 4 miles instead.

Generally I have found the routing and especially the Traffic better on the TT.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

I too used to have another unit from another maker until my wife got irritated with both devices giving conflicting results, and told me to sell one................ ;) it was a difficult decision as the other make gave more detailed information, was faster in operation and was easily customisable............... but I kept with the Tomtom as generally it did give better Traffic updates and recognised Motorway roadworks and Junction closures quicker.

We travel a lot at night time and last night was returning around midnight from the Milton Keynes area - the Tomtom diverted us from our normal route and took us on a strange nebulous and unknown route back to the M1; we assumed our normal junction had been closed due to roadworks. So good on the TT.

Shortly after joining the M1 without warning (did not touch anything) the TT screen went completely blank and after a minute or so rebooted............... it then recalculated our journey, but I then noticed going past a Speed Camera that the "voice/ alerts" had been lost and that we were also not receiving Traffic data. (car symbol crossed through), so I did a drum roll reset.

The voice/alerts were restored, but the lack of Traffic data continued for some further 5 miles or more, all in all we were without the correct information for some 10 minutes or more and my wife remarked that if the TT had done this whilst on our "unknown to us" diversion route we would not have known where to go, said it was both irritating and unsafe and hinted maybe we should have a backup device or plan . ;)