Voice Control has ceased to work on Go 5000 — TomTom Community

Voice Control has ceased to work on Go 5000

Hi

I have the message 'Voice control cannot be used with your display language', on my GO 5000.

I have purchased 'John Cleese' and have the standard 'Jane' but no others.

It used to work but now doesn't.

What do I need to do to get this fixed? I have just updated and installed a 32 Gig SD card which after shifting the Map there, it now has 28861 NB free (44MB on Device).

Any thoughts, please?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,467 Superuser
    Hi @PortlyNinja

Voice control only works if you have a computer voice such as Serena or Malcom selected. When you go to voices can you scroll up to find those voices.

John Cleese id a recorded voice not a computer voice.

Doug
  • PortlyNinjaPortlyNinja Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    OK, So I include them but I don't need to have them 'active' is that correct? In other words, they're sitting in the background dormant and I'm using John Cleese but voice control will work or is my only option to have Serena or Malcolm active? Does that make sense?
    Hi @PortlyNinja

You have to select Serena or Malcom as your voice if you want Voice Control to work. A recorded voice like John Cleese will not work Voice control.

Doug
    Hey Doug

Sorry to come back to this again but I cannot locate Serena or Malcolm in either the tomtom voices section. https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/navigation-voices/?utm_source=mydriveconnect&utm_medium=internalreferral&utm_campaign=mdc-mydevice_voices&utm_content=MDC_MYDEVICE_CENTER_300_250.Nor in my devices voice selection area in settings.

I have Jane (the UK and currently selected). Tim (UK) both of which are free recorded voices. (RV)

Ken (Australia RV), Lori (USA RV), Mandy (USA RV) Richard (USA RV). I don't ever recall anything over than a Recorded voice when I purchased this device and voice control worked with the standard voices provided originally but no longer do.

Should I be thinking about a factory reset?
    Hi @PortlyNinja

Hopefully tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard will see this and add the 2 voices to your account so you can download them.

Secondly it has just come to light that you do not need to actually select one of the 2 voices for voice control to work. You can select any of the recorded voices for your direction information but there has to be one of the 2 voices on your unit for voice control to work.

The advantage of selecting the computerised voices for directions etc as well is that there is more detailed information available. You can select more options for what the voice will say and set Read Aloud in Sounds and Warnings. This means for example you hear a sound and then the words Fixed Camera rather than just a sound.

Doug
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 10,057 Superuser
    I think its a good idea to add Computer Voices in every language on the Webside for the WIFI devices.
    If I have seen correctly, only recorded voices are offered there. It would also be a relief for the moderators and the support.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,380 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @PortlyNinja

Computer voice Serena added. Please download it using MyDrive Connect.

Malcolm won't work on the GO 5000.

Regards
    Vikram
    Thanks, Guys - up and running again. Well done all!
  • earl_grey11earl_grey11 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Friend has asked for help with his new Via135. Voice control not working, message is 'voice control cannot be used with currently selected language.' Am using Serena (DV) and selected language is English UK. Can anyone help?
    Hi @earl_grey11

Try a soft reset if you have not done so already.

Turn the unit on and when ready to use Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.

Doug
  • earl_grey11earl_grey11 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thankyou. That fixed it :)
    edited November 14
    Hi @earl_grey11

Pleased to hear you are sorted. A soft reset is a useful thing to try first if you have any problems and also to do after installing any updates.

Doug