New TomTom GO Navigation app 2.1 available for iOS — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation app 2.1 available for iOS

Another update today which just allows you to add, update and delete entire country maps, and to search text search via Apple CarPlay.

Yeah OK, but what about things that users keep asking for? Here are a few examples:
  1. Dangerous lag at junctions and roundabouts followed by screen wobble for over correction.
  2. Display not so easy to read (red on black). Also screen display switches between distance and time to go. We need both at all times.
  3. Uses fractions instead of easier to read decimals when set to miles – when set to km miraculously get decimals.
  4. Next instruction isn’t shown until with 2 miles, it needs to be shown all the time and count down, even if initially over 99 miles away.
  5. No advance planning where you can set the day or time.
  6. Right hand info bar is useless and configuration options almost non-existent.
  7. 3D maps are annoying, to large (e.g. Europe is over 8GB as opposed to 2GB).
  8. Cannot report map problems or mark a road as closed for SatNav to take into account.
  9. No POIs show on route. No MyDrive support. More importantly Custom POIs are not supported, we need them to show on map and navigation screens.
  10. No URL Scheme, so another app cannot start SatNav or use a URL in an email to start app with destination.

Comments

• bruceybrucey Posts: 170 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I'm guessing the future of sat nav will be smart phone or car integrated rather than the PND.

I'd hoped with the promise of new features that we'd at least have the route bar shown in CarPlay....TomTom traffic is your single biggest USP and not to have this visible on the main display without having to toggle between 2 and 3d is hard to understand or justify the ongoing subscription.

Disappointed to say the least and would have though that TomTom would have found a way around any 'apple' limitations by now.
  • smudger64smudger64 Posts: 58 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I was hoping that we might get My Routes or even full integration with Apple so I can use shortcuts to go straight to a favorite. After all I can use Google maps like that now.
    Naive aren't i.
  • AinsAins Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Also - you can tell it that a speed camera IS somewhere but can't tell it that a speed camera has been removed. (except for mobile cameras)

Seems the only way to do this is via the web site which, let's be honest, virtually no one is going to bother with.
    Having just downloaded Waze, can anyone tell me why I would use Go instead? Other than the fact Tomtom maps are installed directly on the phone and therefore doesnt need a decent 4g to route plan, i can't see any other real advantages?
    It has camera and traffic info which appear to be just as accurate and it integrates into Apple shortcuts. Sadly both lack the ability to save routes,
    Am i missing something?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,178
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi @smudger64

Do you really want Google to track your every move as it does with all the other Wazzers it tells you are near you that it is following as well?

Whist their search facility may be more comprehensive, not surprising considering how much data they have grabbed, I have not found traffic and cameras to be as good and their routing and spoken instructions poorer.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @smudger64

Do you really want Google to track your every move as it does with all the other Wazzers it tells you are near you that it is following as well?

Whist their search facility may be more comprehensive, not surprising considering how much data they have grabbed, I have not found traffic and cameras to be as good and their routing and spoken instructions poorer.

Doug

Hi
    No, not really plus the interface isn't as nice. Cameras aren't as good, particularly the average cameras. Why though can a free app work with Siri but Tomtom can't?