Go Camper setting up problems — TomTom Community

Go Camper setting up problems

I bought the Go Camper to replace an older TomTom and started to set it up two days ago. It downloaded for about 6hrs, achieving only 56% download, emptying my Broadband user allowance for the month in the process (20GB), but stating it need to download a map, giving me only Europe as a reasonable option, but that will set me back over £15 extra for a 10GB bundle from my broadband supplier.....and take how long? More to the point, it has now locked into download a map as the only option - no back button, nothing. It won't work - period.

I tried re-setting the device, but it came back to the same square one.

Anyone else had these problems?

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,362 Superuser
    edited October 20
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

The unit will have wanted to update to the latest Operating Software if there had been a change since the unit was manufactured. It would also almost inevitably want to update the Map and the European map is circa 9GB. You are offered updated maps every 3 months as well as camera and Mapshare updates

I suspect your download speed may be slow, less than 30mbs, and so you should connect it to a PC with My Drive Connect software and use the menus on the device to manage the updating.

Doug
  • BobSouthSomerset1BobSouthSomerset1 Posts: 17 [Master Explorer]
    You're right about the download speed and I have My Drive Connect from the previous device yet, despite it acknowledging the existance of the new machine, it stubbornly insistes I use Wi-Fi ! The new device offers me nothing but this loop of new maps, 9GB as you say, and nothing else. I can't break the loop. I'm looking tomorrow to re-negotiate my broadband deal to unlimited download, but it's still going to take forever. And quite frankly, I have better things to do. Thanks for your input. Bob
    edited October 21
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

When you are doing your updates using the PC when you connect you get the screen saying use Wifi. Ignore that screen and the PC and then use the menu options on the GO Camper. You are using the PC purely as a connection to the internet.

If you had a health problem that meant you could not have Wifi in the house then connecting to the Internet via the PC is what you would have to do.

If you can get the Download speed near to or above 30 mbs then you will not need a PC. I have circa 60mbs plus and a Europe map will download and install in well less than 1 hour.

I would suggest that you download either the Venezuela or Iraq which are very small. They will load on the internal memory and should you have a problem updating the Europe map and lose it as a result the small map will ensue you can start the unit normally and sort the problem out.

The device will not load a map on the memory card unless there is not enough room on the internal memory.

Try a Soft Reset on the unit after each download. This turn the unit on and when ready hold the On/Off button down until you hear the drumroll sound then let button go.

Edit error. Correct BrianE the two maps I mention are not listed on the Camper which has 4 Camper Maps preloaded on the device.

Doug.
    I don't get that option - it's download the maps or not! When I tried the reset programme we just ended up where we started from.

I'll get to my broadband supplier (Zen) tomorrow and see what options I have available.

Thanks again though.

Just checked the download speed - 5.23Mb/s, upload 0.4. But it's the allowance of 20GBs that seems to be the major issue.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,237 Superusers
    edited October 20
    Hi
    @BobSouthSomerset1

Here's a Download Speed/File Size/Time... Calculator....
    See... https://www.download-time.com/

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Camper normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    I don't get that option - it's download the maps or not! When I tried the reset programme we just ended up where we started from.

I called my broadband supplier today and renegotiated to go Fibre and Unlimited. That'll take 10 days to organise but they've given me 20GB of download capacity so that I can try and complete this download - it's happening now, I think. That is, it downloads to 10% and returns to start again at 0%. So is it 10% chunks or is it starting all over again? Tell you later - bedtime if not before.

Thanks again though.

Just checked my download speed - 5.23Mb/s, upload 0.4. Don't laugh - it's done me OK till now.

• BrianEBrianE Posts: 504 [Exalted Navigator]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

When you are doing your updates using the PC when you connect you get the screen saying use Wifi. Ignore that screen and the PC and then use the menu options on the GO Camper. You are using the PC purely as a connection to the internet.

If you had a health problem that meant you could not have Wifi in the house then connecting to the Internet via the PC is what you would have to do.

If you can get the Download speed near to or above 30 mbs then you will not need a PC. I have circa 60mbs plus and a Europe map will download and install in well less than 1 hour.

I would suggest that you download either the Venezuela or Iraq which are very small. They will load on the internal memory and should you have a problem updating the Europe map and lose it as a result the small map will ensue you can start the unit normally and sort the problem out.

The device will not load a map on the memory card unless there is not enough room on the internal memory.

Try a Soft Reset on the unit after each download. This turn the unit on and when ready hold the On/Off button down until you hear the drumroll sound then let button go.

Doug.

There isn't a Venezuela or Iraq option on the GO Camper. The only smallish map is Oceania (Australasia), which is the one I have downloaded for the emergency map.
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

As I have corrected above there are 4 Camper maps available for downloading on the Go Camper. It is recommended that when you do any updates that you do each Update one at a time and not tick all to be downloaded as a single action.

Doug
    The appropriate download shown was Europe. The device has been "apparently" downloading for over 5 hours, getting to 9% and starting again at 0% - with hindsight, the same 9%, but of course it doesn't say so. I've turned it off and am going to bed.

I can either wait until I have a faster download, when the Fibre arrives with 10 days, or send the thing back and buy some other device.

When I stopped the device downloading it promptly returned to the same tedious one option page. There appears to be no exit other than to download maps. Ocenia, and what do I do with that? And how much download capacity have I wasted this evening? I'll find out tomorrow.
    Hi
    @BobSouthSomerset1
    (Snip)When I stopped the device downloading it promptly returned to the same tedious one option page.(Snip)
    Once you have initiated a Download/Update... You can't return to the the menu offering a choice of Maps to install... Until the requested Download/Update completes or the Tomtom Server/s times out....

Maybe Ring Tomtom Support... See if they can clear the download queue
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB YFM
    The appropriate download shown was Europe. The device has been "apparently" downloading for over 5 hours, getting to 9% and starting again at 0% - with hindsight, the same 9%, but of course it doesn't say so. I've turned it off and am going to bed.

I can either wait until I have a faster download, when the Fibre arrives with 10 days, or send the thing back and buy some other device.

When I stopped the device downloading it promptly returned to the same tedious one option page. There appears to be no exit other than to download maps. Ocenia, and what do I do with that? And how much download capacity have I wasted this evening? I'll find out tomorrow.
    If BianE is still watching this..................? I tried the download of "Oceania" suggested. I gave up after 3 aborted download attempts at or around the 90% mark - took over an hour to do that. Have emailed TomTom Support - 48hrs and a load of links sent back, none addressing the problem - it won't download by wi-fi and it won't allow me to download to the PC like the 1005 I have. I think I shall just have to send it back and buy something else. Customer service? Pull the other one.
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

Maybe an idea to see if @lampard can have a look at your account and see if there is a queue of updates as a result of all your attempts causing an issue.

Doug
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,313 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

It appears that the WiFi Connection is not stable as the backend shows that the device lost its connection to the internet and was unable to continue to process the update.

Due to this, Oceania map was partially downloaded on your device. I've removed this partial map from the device to give you the fresh start.

Before re-starting the update, try to use wired (if possible), unrestricted Internet connection before starting the download. Also, apply changes to any Internet Security Software (Aggressive anti-virus/firewalls) installed and do not use the business networks.

After this, just make a soft reset on the device and Go to Settings >New update and Items, it shall automatically start the updates and remove the partial map from the device. Once this is done, start the update again.

Regards, lampard
    edited October 26
    Hi
    @BobSouthSomerset1

Connecting using USB

Tomtom also recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here... www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Install & Run MyDrive Connect (DO NOT have your device connected to the PC when installing MyDrive Connect)
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    If BianE is still watching this..................? I tried the download of "Oceania" suggested. I gave up after 3 aborted download attempts at or around the 90% mark - took over an hour to do that. Have emailed TomTom Support - 48hrs and a load of links sent back, none addressing the problem - it won't download by wi-fi and it won't allow me to download to the PC like the 1005 I have. I think I shall just have to send it back and buy something else. Customer service? Pull the other one.
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

Have you tried @lampard ’s suggestion now he has cleared the previous incomplete updates and also born in mind @YamFazMan ’s comments.

Doug
    Lampard - you seem to know what you're talking about. Unfortunately I don't. The Oceania thing was an attempt to break the cycle, nothing more. Quite frankly I'd be happy with UK maps but apparently Europe is the closest I can find.

At all times throughout this nonsense the TomTom device has been plugged into the USB of the PC - for battery power initially. However, I never get an option on the device to download by that same hardwire route. The PC is hardwired to the router, although both are wi-fi devices also.

Changes to the antivirus/Firewall have as yet not proved possible - I have an outstanding query with Bitdefender on that score and await advice.

Soft reset? If you mean holding onto the on/off button until something happens - it doesn't, it's just one merry go round! So I can't go to settings or anywhere else bar choosing which maps to download, or not as has proved to be the case so far.

I'm a resonably intelligent person, university degree back in the distant past, that sort of thing, but although I use a computer I do need exact step by step by step moves. We are not all computer geeks, or why would we need so much help?

Sorry to be a pain but I have spent about 10 hours in the evenings this week and most of today trying to sort this. That's a lot of time wasted quite frankly. My patience is limited. I may have to get myself a Garmin yet.

Bob
    YamFazMan - 30Mbps? That's fairy land as far as we're concerned. Where was this recommendation? We live in a rural location. Current download speeds are around 4Mbps, as I have stated before. As of next Monday, November 4th I am upgrading to fibre, expected to be 25Mbps. Do I wait? Additionally I have had a 20Mb monthly allowance, but already have wasted 23MB on this fiasco! I have been given another 20Mb as a goodwill gesture for going over to fibre, but I'm loathe to throw this away. After I go fibre I am unlimited.

Your advice regarding the way to download via MyDriveConnect seems fine, but it doesn't happen - I can only get the "Download maps" option, nothing else.

Reckon I'll just find the packaging and send it back. I can only waste so much time and effort.
    edited October 25
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

I would wait as 25mb should make a difference. The problem with your current speed limit is the time involved trying to do a map download is so long the chances of keeping a connection is difficult. As you said when your daughter started the PlayStation the download fell over. With your new speed the broadband is far better at coping with large downloads and more than one device on it at the same time.

There are 2 advantages to adding Oceania as having 2 maps loade on your device is a big advantage if you were to have a problem updating a map. Having the second map means you can start the unit normally and sort out the problem map.

Unlimited fibre also means you don’t have to think about how much you are using it. I can remember when download speeds were much less than you have now and when Windows wanted to do a major update to their software they would issue the update by CD attached to computer magazines. Today with 25mbs the software on that CD would be downloaded in seconds.

The Soft Reset purely is restarting the Tomtom but it sorts out the files and so helps sort the device out. It’s the same as restarting your PC when you are stuck. So when you do it it takes you to the same screen as when you turn the device on.

When you say you have a download map option only then presumably the operating software is current so there will only be Updates of maps or Cameras offered when they are available in the meantime the only other available option is to download another map.

Another good thing about 2 maps on the unit is that then gives you the option to delete a map which you cannot do with one map. The device needs a map to be able to start so therefore it will not let you delete the only one.

I have the GO Camper and it works well I also have a Garmin and I don’t find that as good at routing or dealing with traffic problems.

Persevere a bit longer and hopefully we will get you sorted once you have the download speed and unlimited data.

@lampard is one of the Mods on here and works for TT. He is on holiday on Monday so will not be back until Tuesday. He can see the logs on their servers showing all the downloads etc and that is why he was able to make some changes at their end to help you.

All the best

Doug
    Got that thanks.

I have never mentioned a daughter and a playstation though. Someone else in trouble?

Cheers. My next wait is on Bitdefender however! Well that's what the guy at TT said - Firewall problem and I'm loather to just turn it off. Laters - it is already laters! ;)
    Hi @BobSouthSomerset1

I thought you were the person that said they were having problems downloading where they have slow download speed and they nearly got there and their daughter turned her Playstation on and his download immediately fell over. =) =)

I am currently in our Motorhome in a campsite and it is raining so much I am not sure I can move in the morning. If I can't I won't need my Go Camper. :# :#

Doug
    I'm supposed to be on a cross channel ferry but that got cancelled. My Go Camper ain't taking me anywhere! I only bought the thing because my second hand 1005 needed about £80 in subscriptions for live traffic and maps. I though this was a better long term option. Now neither work properly. Sleep tight.
    edited October 26
    YamFazMan - 30Mbps? That's fairy land as far as we're concerned. Where was this recommendation?
    The 30 Mbps refers to minimum Wi-Fi download speed + The rest of the sentence....
    Quote...
    Tomtom also recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    End Quote...
    If you connect over USB the connection speed can be slower because the data transfer when hard-wired is more stable/reliable

Anti virus or any port monitoring can affect performance
    I used to run Bitdefender and the firewall is a right royal PITA
    I would set-up MyDrive Connect in the Bitdefender Whitelist... When I logged out MyDrive and logged back in... Bitdefender would arbitrarily decide to remove MyDrive Connect from the whitelist and block access through the firewall
    Bitdefender Support even sent a custom fix to install but nothing worked for me

I now use Avast and have not had a problem with the firewall

ATB YFM
    YFM - White List? Can find no reference.