Trucker 6000 will not turn on — TomTom Community

Trucker 6000 will not turn on

My Trucker 6000 does not turn on at all, despite being charged using a known working supply and cable overnight, absolutely nothing happens when pressing the power button - even if I hold the button down for 60+ seconds.

Background - the device is about 3 years old, used every day. Had been working perfectly and was updated with latest software etc.

I sold the Trucker 6000 via a well-known Internet auction site, as I upgraded to a newer model. After about a week, the buyer contacted me saying the device worked until the battery died but would not charge or turn back on. After troubleshooting failed to resolve it they returned the device as defective.

I have had it on charge since yesterday afternoon but it is totally dead, so currently I am out of pocket and in possession of an expensive paperweight.

Suggestions on possible causes and what to check/do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• GP6250GP6250 Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Oh dear, not a single reply. Am I really the only person ever to experience this issue?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,815 Superuser
    Hi @GP6250

Could be a battery failure but would expect it to turn on if connected to a charge. Have you tried plugging the cable directly in the back of the device to see if that works as that would suggest the holder is faulty..

Doug
    Thanks for your suggestion @DougLap

Plugging the cable directly into the device makes no difference.

I have also opened the device and put a meter across the battery, which is showing just over 4 volts, so I don't think that is at fault.
    edited October 2019
    Is there any way of confirming the serial number of the main board matches the serial number on the case?
  • trevptrevp Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    edited October 2019
    Following this post as mine has done exactly the same today, what does anyone recommend as a replacement if this can't be resolved
    Hi @trevp

What (if anything) were you doing with the device immediately before it packed up? Is it completely dead, or do you hear the drumroll sound etc when you turn it on?

I pressed the button on top to turn it off last night when I went to turn it on this morning nothing no noise no screen
    edited October 2019
    I've just done a reset (pressing the power button done for about 30 seconds until I heard the drum roll) and all is well
    Good to hear you're sorted :) Wish the fix for mine was that simple :'(

Before I fixed it I ordered a new battery your welcome to have

Thanks for the offer @trevp , that's most kind of you although at this stage I don't think the battery is at fault as it is showing a steady 4.15 volts when not charging.
    How long should I expect to wait for an agent to respond to a support question ?
    Hi @GP6250

I assume you have sent a message asking for help rather than phoning them. I regret to say I suspect that the most likely response you will get, which via email has been known to take a couple of days, is that you need to send it in for repair which will incur a charge of as much as £100.

As pressing the On/Off button has no effect and I assume nothing happens if you connect it to your PC with the My Drive Connect software running then it is not looking likely that there is a solution other than a possible repair.

Doug
    Hello @DougLap

Thanks again for replying.

I have requested confirmation of the IMEI of the device. This was requested via email as I need the information in writing.

I realise this is a member-to-member forum, but must say that I find the level of support offered by TomTom to be woefully inadequate.

Kind regards
    Hi @GP6250

I have just twigged what you are thinking has happened as you previously asked how to confirm the serial number other than on the label. Hopefully if @lampard sees this he can help sort out what you want.

Doug
    Thank you =)@DougLap
    Can you help please @lampard ?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,645 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @GP6250

Please check your PM.

lampard
    Hi @DougLap

Thanks for the link.

The post suggests that TomTom can/will provide the IMEI on request, but I'm still waiting to a reply to my support request from two days ago and (obviously) I cannot check the IMEI on the device itself.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,645 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @GP6250

Can you check again? I see that the representative from support already replied to you with the details you requested. Also, I messaged you the same.

Cheers, lampard
    edited October 2019
    Hi @lampard

Messages must have crossed in the ether. I have replied to your message and subsequently received the required information from the support representative.

Thanks to you and @DougLap for the assistance.