tomtom GO 910 GPS signal problem — TomTom Community

tomtom GO 910 GPS signal problem

GordonvGordonv Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
My GO-910 was working fine yesterday and earlier today but has stopped receiving the GPS signal. All I see is a frozen grey map of where the signal dropped. I am on vacation away from my home computer and cannot access Tom Tom Home. What can I do to resolve this please?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,128
    Superuser
    Hi @Gordonv

Try a Soft reset.

Turn the unit on and when it is ready Hold the ON/OFF button down until you hear the Drumroll sound. The unit should then restart.

If that does not work then if you can get into Settings and find the Factory Reset option try that

Doug
  • GordonvGordonv Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug

Thanks for the fast response. I have lots of maps in my 910. Will I loose any of these during this soft reset or factory reset initiation?

Gordonv
    Superuser
    Hi @Gordonv

The operating and map versions are not affected by a factory reset. I think on your model when you click on the Factory Reset option you get a offered 2 options the first of which means your data is not affected either. Go for that option.

Doug
    I charged the Tom Tom GO-910 overnight. I turned it on and the unresponding grey screen once again appeared. I held down the on/off button for 5+ seconds. There was no drumroll, and the green briefcase shutdown icon showed and it turned off. No reboot, no change. I went to settings and pushed “factory reset” . it asked yes and no on saved preferences I pushed “no” . Still no change. The grey screen doesn’t change and the GPS countdown clock doesn’t count up. The unit time does not change, whereas I thought it would reset to 00:00h. What should I do now?
    Superuser
    Hi @Gordonv

I should have said in my original post to hold the On/OFF button down for about 20+ seconds until you hear the drumroll sound.

If you are saying that when you hold the button down and it just shuts down then it is not looking good at this point. Can you charge it using a mobile phone plug checking the output is not too high.. The Apple and Samsung plugs are usually okay and so you can give it a strong charge.or indeed have it plugged in when you try the Reset.

Not sure if your GO910 is the version that is considered obsolete now but we can ask @vikram or @lampard whether they have any suggestions. They are not at work today as they are on a public holiday but hopefully they may have some ideas tomorrow.

Doug
    Hi Doug

My Tom Tom GO910 is being charged via a Tom Tom AC power supply through a TomTom docking cradle. I do not need to charge via an Apple USB power supply port. The green light indicating power on is lit when it is installed into the docking cradle.

The GO910 was working, so I know it was functional yesterday and the day before. I do know that my GO910 still functions under the latest GPS configuration. In just froze on the unresponsive grey screen.

With the unit fresh from an overnight charge, I turned the unit on, holding the on/off button depressed for approximately 90 seconds. I did get a brief message that my phone was not connected, but the grey screen stays on. The “ waiting for a valid GPS signal” count down is not counting the expired seconds, and the clock is still showing the correct time.

When I go into the “change preferences” menu and advance into the last 7/7 page, I depress the “reset factory settings” icon. This asks me a question “ do I really want to delete all the settings, locations, and itineraries that you have added” . It gives two options, NO , or YES. I have pressed “NO” , and still nothing happens.

Should I be pressing the “YES” icon ? I did not try this “YES” button on the “Reset factory settings” mode, as I did not know what this would do to my installed data. I do not want to loose any of my initial or later additionally purchased maps.

I really appreciate your efforts on this issue. This 910 unit has been a solid asset from Canada to USA, to Switzerland and New Zealand. It was working. I just somehow need it to unlock itself.

Gordonv

Superuser
    Hi @Gordonv

No do not select Yes on the reset option.

Could you try the following to see if that resolves it.

When the unit is fully charged or is attached to a power source take the unit outside well away from buildings and trees with a clear view of the sky all around, Turn the unit on and leave it for at least 30 minutes see f it locks on to the Sats. It has been found that if you place it on a vehicle roof, making sure it will not slide off or is out of your sight, it has been found that it can be quicker to lock on to the Sats.

Doug
    Hi Doug.

I am glad I did not press “YES”.

I actually am presently trying a long outside clear sky exposure. I have a clear 180 deg exposure from the mountains in central Portugal.

Gordonv
    Hi Doug;

I pressed and held the on/off button down on both power up and power down for well over a minute. I have now got something slightly different than before.

On a long power down, the Tom Tom GO910 photo came on screen and a yellow bar advanced across the bottom of the screen, taking 3-4 seconds to do so. There has been no drumroll.

The previous frozen Portuguese grey map has now been replaced with a grey map of Great George and Derby Gate intersection ( possibly UK?). The GPS satellite signal was counting up, but has now disappeared.

The GO910 is still frozen on this new grey map, even after being exposed to a clear sky from a table, while fully charged.

Where do we go from here?

Gordonv
    Superuser
    Hi

I can think of no more suggestions so unless someone else has any ideas we will need to see if one of the Mods has an idea.

Appreciate your patience and sorry I can not help any further other than one final desperate thought. If you know your unit has a map on its internal memory then take the Extra memory card out and try and start it without the card.

All the best.

Doug
    Doug, you have been most patient with your assistance.

Good news! After everything we have done to the GO910, it started working again. It took over 3 hours of constant power on and exposure to the sky for Tom Tom to figure out where he was.

I don’t know what the issue was, but he is now working. I really hope he continues to work, as he always has in the past.

Thank you for your support.

Regards, Gordonv
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 249 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Gordonv
    It's related to the GPS Week Number Rollover that happened in April earlier this year. The current firmware of the GPS chip in your GO910 isn't well prepared for this and will have difficulties locking onto satellites when coming back from standby (i.e. no drum roll sound) if you haven't performed QuickGPSFix in the last days.
    There is an unofficial way to update the firmware of the GPS chip inside the device to make your GO910 work again as expected. While TomTom generally allows and supports updating of the GPS chip firmware, they didn't offer it for the GO910.
    Thank you for your help and most recent note, regarding my GO910. I do not know what a quickGPSfix is, so I definitely have not done that process. I am far away from my computer, and cannot dock with it, as I do when I purchase maps.

The GO910 unit worked this morning, then froze for 2 hours , then, once again started working.

I am on vacation in Europe, and reside on the west coast of Canada. I purchased this particular GPS because of it’s hard drive, and that it had both North American and European maps installed. I have purchased additional newer maps of North America, Europe, and New Zealand.

Prior to leaving for this Europe trip, I looked at the GO910 unit on the TomTom site, and the site stated that my unit was one of the few which was still able to function after system upgrades.

You mentioned an unofficial way to upgrade the firmware, which I would be very interested in, but I do not know how I go about doing that, let alone that I am 8500 km from my home PC in Canada.

This GO910 unit has been the best, far better than any systems I have ever had in my own vehicles, or in cars I have rented.

I still have 2-weeks to go in Portugal, and my unit is sporadic. I am feeling really “ quite lost” ! This is the first time I have been without GPS guidance in Europe.

Could you please give me some guidance as to what I can do, and provide me with any assistance regarding the “unofficial “ route to upgrade the GO910 unit to function under this new Satellite protocol.

Regards, Gordonv
  • Smurf_Tom_2005Smurf_Tom_2005 Posts: 47 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    hello Gordonv
    Here is exactly what you are looking for.
    GPS-Chip SIRF-III upgrade from version: GWS3.1.1 or GSW3.2.4TT3 to version: GSW3.2.5TT3 or GSW3.6.0

for TT GO 510, GO 520, GO 630, GO 710, Go 720, GO 730, GO 720, GO 920, GO 930, ONE, ONE 2nd Edition, ONE 3Rd (v7), GO 7000 Truck, Rider 1 + 2
    use the Google translator, or you speak German, that would be best. the unofficial upgrade works very well, I have flashed several devices with it myself. it is just "Made in Germany" there is really something to it.

https://www.digital-eliteboard.com/resources/universal-upgrade-gsw3-2-5tt3-gws3-6-0-gps-chip_sirf-iii.5085/

http://charlie62.free.fr/Download/Flash_FW_3.6.0.zip