Post code not found — TomTom Community

Post code not found

I have a brand new and fully updated start 52. I have had problems with post codes not being found. I work in traffic management so find myself in all sorts of different places.
I put these post codes into my old tomtom 1 which has never been updated from when i bought it in 2008, and it found them straight away. Is there some sort of a problem with my new sat nav, or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• RollingRockRollingRock Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi broadsman,

the postal codes should work the same way as they do on your old navigation device.
    Would you happen to experience the same issue if you use the online MyDrive route planner? https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb (you can use your same TomTom account)

Perhaps you could give an example of the postal code that does not work, or a street and house number for narrowing down the issue?

- RR
  • StewarthopeStewarthope Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm having the exact same issue. Ky2 5xa is an example of a postcode it doesn't find yet on an older and less up to date tomtom xl it finds it?
  • broadsmanbroadsman Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your reply rolling rock. The post code I put in was ip209qn. My old tom tom correctly found this as a property on the B1134 in Harleston. My new sat nav could not find this.
    I tried the online my drive route planner and this found the post code also
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    Not only MyDrive finds this postcode but any TomTom device.... except the actual Start series.

4e0737e1-6a55-4df8-8ee4-4ac6c2c994fa.png
  • broadsmanbroadsman Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Looks like I need to contact tom tom then. A satnav that doesn't recognise a post code is no good to me.
  • TVman22TVman22 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I've had a Start 52 brand new since Xmas - this postcode thing is a pain. It happens all the time where I live as there are loads of areas with no street names... so my Start 52 becomes useless, I had no problems with my old Tomtom one! Is there a fix for this before I get in touch with Tomtom themselves. I use the device for my work and it's getting embarrassing calling customers to locate their address!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,341 Superuser
    Hi @TVman22

There is no fix for this at the moment. the Start models do not have the Quick Search as an alternative Search option like the other models, as this solves this problem.

Can you try and put type DH.FX where you would put an address in search and see if that produces a result. If it does it should be the middle gate of Buck House.

Unless you change the Start 52 , if not too late to return as not fit for purpose, then I could suggest if the above works that you download the Mapcode app to your Phone. If you enter the post code onto that it gives you a mapcode which you can enter into your Start and it will take you to the address. Post codes, especially in rural areas, can be quite far from the actual address you want. Mapcodes are capable of picking a parking slot n a car park. So put the Post code in the Mapcode map and using the Satellite type Map view like Google Earth and you can get a code for the Entrance gate of an address .

Doug
  • TomTomjokeTomTomjoke Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    The Tom Tom start 52 is not fit for purpose,a sat nav device that won't work off post codes, when all previous models I have did, and customer service ( sic) is just condescending in the extreme, " we do not have this feature on this model sir" repeat with apology ad infinite. Truly appalling waste of my money. Last product I will ever buy from these thieves, appalling.
  • OWLIE185OWLIE185 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    My Tom Tom GO520 with Wi-Fi (Essential) despite being fully updated does not recognise the postcode NW9 4EW which is the postcode for the London Borough of Barnet 2 Bristol Avenue Colindale London NW9 4EW United Kingdom. The London Borough of Barnet has been in this building for about one year now. I phoned Tom Tom and spoke to a very pleasant lady who informed me that it would take some time to get this issue sorted out as they have to go through all sorts of procedures to rectify it. I asked her for the telephone number of Tom Tom in the Netherlands so that I could express my disatisfaction to them directly but she had no contact details for them (neither did her supervisor) Clearly Tom Tom make it as difficult as possible for users of their products to make a complaint directly to them. Does anyon have the name of their chief executive and also his/her contact address and telephone number? Many thanks.
    Hi @OWLIE185

Just checked on my GO5200 and same result.

There is a Customer Support number for Holland which is

020 850 1022
    Maandag t/m vrijdag : 09:00 tot 17:30

You could also report via Tomtom Mapshare and maybe one of the TT Mods such as @VikramK or @lampard will pick it up and report as well. I also checked the Post Office website and it is a clearly recognised Post Code.

Doug
  • OWLIE185OWLIE185 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for that Doug. I have reported it on the TomTom Mapshare. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to rectify this issue. I would still like to have a name for their chief executive and his/her contact address and telephone number.
    Hi @OWLIE185

If you go to Tomtom’s My Drive website and use the mapping there to create routes and send to their devices then the Postcode is recognised. This mapping can be more up to date than their PNDs.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,216 Superusers
    edited November 9
    Hi
    PostCodes... On the NAV3, 4 & 5 devices the PostCodes are embed into the Map (Postcode data is not a separate file like the NAV2 devices)
    The Latest Maps v1035 were released on 07/2019 but obviously compiled earlier than the release date
    It looks like the update of the Maps just missed the Summer opening of the new Borough of Barnet Council Offices (The final Council services should be fully moved and operational by September 2019)

Hopefully the NW9 4EW PostCode will be picked up in the next Map update....

ATB YFM