TomTom home install puts in version 2..8, but then forces install of 2.20.1.1239 which will not run - Page 3 — TomTom Community

TomTom home install puts in version 2..8, but then forces install of 2.20.1.1239 which will not run

Comments

• SideWinderSideWinder Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hello Everyone..

I am sorry for responding so late.

I have been gathering the different scenarios and reporting them to our team. We also want to get it resolved asap.

@jandf, Are you also using a Windows 10 OS(64bit)? I just wanted to re-confirm the present version of TomTom is 2.20.1.1239?

@SideWinder which is the current version of TomTom HOME installed on your computer?

Thanks
    Vikram

Sidewinder here, The version of Home2 is 2.11.8.600 (right now). When I open Home2, sign in online, then connect device it goes right into the update. Loops out and nothing can be done
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,376 Superusers
    edited October 18
    Hi
    @Bluethroat

Maybe worth a try.... This works for me
    Modify Tomtom Home to use older version of tomtom Home... (Mabe usefull for End of Life TomtomDevices with No further map or other updates)

(1)… Uninstall TomTom Home
    (2)… Download last "good" version 2_9_91_411 from.... http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe

(3)… Install it without running....
    ie, un-check the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes

(4)... Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    (5)… Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.99.99.999"
    (6)… Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.99.99.999 and therefore not pull the update

If your device requires later version of Tomtom Home than version 2_9_91_41
    but NOT the latest version....

Edit... Words in italics added for clarity....
    Then Maybe if you Install the later version but don't run it then follow the instructions from bulletpoint (4) Above, it might work ???

ATB YFM
  • BluethroatBluethroat Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    edited October 12
    Hi YamFazMan

Thanks very much for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the trouble. I followed your suggestions. I downloaded TomTom Home (again). I didn't launch it, but went straight to the ini file and edited it (at least I think so - it's a notepad text file in the xul folder, yes?) I changed the version number as you suggested and saved it, but I'm afraid it's not made any difference. I still have the same problem. When I run TomTom Home it opens OK, but the moment I connect my TomTom One to the computer a pop-up appears saying:

"A major upgrade to TomTom Home Client is available. The currently installed version of the application will no longer be usable. Please click the below link to download and install the latest version of the TomTom Home Client."

This is where it all goes wrong. The new version appears to install, but in fact doesn't. I I did note that the version number of the ini file wasn't 2.9.91.411, but I don't know what it was because I've now over-written it.
    edited October 12
    Hi
    @Bluethroat

Mmmmm Strange... Re check if you actually changed/saved the ini file
    It's OK here... I have just updated the GPX QuickFix File....

Click on Image to enlarge....
    fc9kvccwz7l3.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • BluethroatBluethroat Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Yep. I did check that the revision had saved. I see that your screenshot has an extra '9' in it, so I tried that too, but no luck. In any case the comment in the ini file against the version number says that it is optional, so I'm not at all sure that it's crucial to the running of the script.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,363 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Bluethroat

I have merged your topic to an existing one where we are already discussing this particular problem.

Could you tell me the following-

1. The current version of TomTom HOME
    2. OS installed on the computer.
    3. OS version and what bit(32/64)

Thanks
    Vikram :)
  • notborisnotboris Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Same problem here device was working perfectly ( updating mapshare, safety cameras, and Sat fixes) on TomTom Home 2.11.8.600. Running on Windows 10 (64bit) But then TomTom said it needed a "critical update" version 2.20.1257 which it forces you to download. but when you attempt to install it as soon as the "green" download band starts it immediatly aborts the install.

Result is I'm now locked out of the TomTom Home program.
  • VSDVSD Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    @YamFazMan:
    I followed your recommendation with success.
    After change it is not possible to store the file application.ini, because it is protected. You have to create full access for this file with properties - security..., then you can store it.
  • jandfjandf Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi. I believe I have found a work around. I have Windows 10 (64 bit) and have been having the same problem when you connect your Tom Tom it says"critical update" version 2.20.1257 which it forces you to download but when you attempt to install it immediately aborts the install.
    My work around was to change the compatibility of Tom Tom Home 2 in properties to run in Windows 7 (although I am using Windows 10). This seems to stop the forced update and you can continue to get the other required software updates for the satellite GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO).

My Tom Tom can see the satellites now and I will have a trial run later today.
    VSD wrote: »
    @YamFazMan:
    I followed your recommendation with success.
    After change it is not possible to store the file application.ini, because it is protected. You have to create full access for this file with properties - security..., then you can store it.

Well I followed YamfazMan's advice along with VSD's and I was able to change and save the application.ini file from Version 2.9.91.411to first 2.9.999.999 as in YamFazMan's screen shot. On starting up TomTom home it immediatley forced the version 2.11.8.600 to install followed by the Version 2.20.1257 and the usual adort. So I uninstalled TomTom Home and again installed the version 2.9.91.411 and altered application .ini file to version 2.9.99.999 as YazFazMaz posted in his original instructions. Either of those altered versions lead to the same forced 2.11.8.600 followed by the aborted 2.20.1257 install.

I dont know if any of the below has any baring on the issue but here is my OS info

The installed system type. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

TomTom Home is a 32bit program and resides in the Folder : Program Files (86)

My Windows specifications
    Edition. Windows 10 Home
    Version. 1903
    Installed on. 10/10/2019
    OS build. 18362.418
    edited October 17
    Hi
    @notboris

The image in my Post... Is from the 1st part of my Post
    Converting the last "good" version 2_9_91_411 of Tomtom Home so that it runs OK....

This converted version DOES work and updates my old NAV 2 Tomtom OK

The 2nd part of my Post... was a 'Suggestion' to see if the conversion would work on the latest issue of Tomtom Home... Apparently it doesn't work....

1st part of my Post...
    Maybe worth a try.... This works for me
    Modify Tomtom Home to use older version of tomtom Home... (Mabe usefull for End of Life TomtomDevices with No further map or other updates)

(1)… Uninstall TomTom Home
    (2)… Download last "good" version 2_9_91_411 from.... http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe

(3)… Install it without running....
    ie, un-check the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes

(4)... Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    (5)… Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.99.99.999"
    (6)… Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.99.99.999 and therefore not pull the update

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @notboris

If your device requires later version of Tomtom Home than version 2_9_91_411 but NOT the latest version....
    Install the later version but don't run it then follow the instructions from bulletpoint (4) Above

ATB YFM

Ah I missed the above (I think it must had been past my bedtime when reading that post ) I'll give the above a go and report back. The lastest version for my EOL GO 520 Traffic is 2.11.8.600 and it did work for me up untill TomTom forced version 20.20.2.1257 on me.

I do appreciate your attempts to help peeps to sort this out.

edited October 18
    Hi
    @notboris

+1... Good Workaround... Works a treat

ATB YFM
  • moleratmolerat Posts: 40 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Following the above I have got the program installed. Unfortunately it does not fully work. Downloads any updates OK - QuickGPSfix, but incorrectly reports used & free space on device - doesn't actually report it at all - and does not show items installed on computer which used to show several old operating systems and all the old maps, saved icons and voices.
    The Differances I see is this latest version of TomTom Home is 64-bit, and is now in the "Program Files" folder instead of the "Program Files (x86) 32-bit folder like the one it has replaced.

That said it allows me to connect to TomTom Home and being an EOL device it give me limited options ie:

all avaliable mapshare, SatGPfix , Post Code, and Premium Safety Cameras updates (I bought the later from TomTom Poland many years ago for 60p)

In the "Manage My Go" option it shows me what is on the device, and it also shows me
    Device Memory: 486.0MB
    Free Space: 61.3MB

And it allows me to Back up and Restore my device.

Not alot more I could ask for from an EOL device sporting a 2019 Map.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,439 Superuser
    edited October 18
    Hi all

I do not use my TomTom One 3RD Edition anymore.
    But if it can help, the direct link TomTom servers for version 2.20.2.1257
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2upgrade/bin/TomTomHOME2win.exe

As said specified by @notboris , it is a 64bit software version that will also install the "Microsoft Visual C 2015 x64" package for a proper operation.

Regards.
  • ericathroll_un34ericathroll_un34 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I uninstalled Version 2.2 and installed Version 2.1 and this time, as suggested above, when the update window appeared I clicked alt/f4 and hey presto it worked.
    Surely it cannot be difficult for TomTom to stop this update window from occurring.
    Must be a registry or programme item that could be changed/removed to do this.
  • SideWinderSideWinder Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @notboris

+1... Good Workaround... Works a treat

ATB YFM

YamFazMan, sidewinder here, have not heard from you regarding the fix. I did try the direct download link (posted by Laure123 two posts above) BUT it did the same thing. I had downloaded per previous post, the standalone, but I thought the post from Lauer123 above was different. No, same thing, loops to failed install. What is the status with TOMTOM fixing this? I don't do 'workarounds', they should not be necessary. Please fix whatever is wrong.
    edited October 19
    Hi
    @SideWinder

I'm just a user like yourself....
    I'm no wiser than you on Tomtoms program for fixing problems....

ATB YFM

• 70dodgert426h70dodgert426h Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hello

I just followed notboris steps and it works. I started with version 2.11.8.600 that I did not alter at all. Followed noboris directions step by step. I now have version 2.20.2.1257 up and running. I did lose my speed and red light cameras with this new version. notboris thank you very much
  • osborne123osborne123 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I think that tom tom now have sufficient information to come up with a fix that retains speed and red light camera functions. Can tomtom provide a date when this fix will be issued.
    edited October 21
    Hi
    @osborne123

The NAV2 GO 530 Models are Eol
    n89j4t00jq3o.jpg
    Both the J1 & J2 issue of the GO 530 are Eol
    l53o817pngfu.jpg
    Does your GO 530 have 'Lifetime' Maps

Re... Eol End of life Devices
    Devices with lifetime maps are not affected

See... Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    UK... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
    USA... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_US
    Australia... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_AU

Devices with lifetime maps are not affected
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1032484/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps/p1

Quote from the above Link....
    However, you will not be able to order Services(LIVE and Speed cameras) purchase new maps for other regions on the TomTom webshop
    End Quote....

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions
    Call Tomtom Support....
    Here...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1115662/phone-numbers-to-contact-customer-support-new/p1

When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

ATB YFM
    To all with an interest in this thread. I noticed on the 2.8.11.600 software that I was experiencing gpsSat fix problems. Trust me when your stuck with no sats you have no maps, or sent on wild goose chase's even with sats......happend to me over the past month since I lost the ability to update via the flawed TomTom Home.

And have been reliably informed that even with this latest software you will have to connect to TomTom Home every 5 to 7 days to get QuickSat fixes .

The trouble apparently is the Gps firmware TomTom are using . There is an unofficial firmware fix that removes this need to update via TomTom Home
    every 5 to 7 days. I'm now on it and would suggest you look at this thread if your interested in knowing more.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1117605/go520-traffic-0riginal-connection-problem#latest

But remember if you choose to fllash your sat nav you do so at your own risk.
    edited October 21
    Hi
    @notboris

Today using the Workaround that I suggested....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1675070/#Comment_1675070
    I have just updated the GPX QuickFix File and MapShare updates on my NAV2 Start EoL Device

ATB YFM