7/10 times, traffic doesn’t work! — TomTom Community

7/10 times, traffic doesn’t work!

Hi, For probably the last year, I have had real problems with the traffic/speed camera mode working on my device. I would say 7/10 times it does NOT work, although my device could say it’s connected, my phone will say ‘device not in range’ OR my phone could say connected and then my device doesn’t. I have tried unpairing the Bluetooth, and then re-pairing it, resetting both my phone and the device, but it doesn’t generally work. It is massively frustrating, I have always updated both devices to the latest versions, but still no luck! Why?!?

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 319 [Supreme Pioneer]
    With my phone sometimes the Bluetooth connection to my TomTom Rider is not working. When this happens I can easily solve this by restarting my phone.

Can you give us more information like;
    TomTom PND type
    Phone used
    Do you have a proper 4G internet connection when this happens?
    Do you use BT tethering or the MyDrive app on your phone%?

I found out that in most cases where there are issues with the BT connection between a TomTom and a phone you need to search for the solution at the phone side.
    For example which my old Rider I used BT tethering but my Phone tried to close the BT tethering all the time. The app Blue Car Tethering on Demand solved this problem for me.

• kpxkpx Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    iPhone x , Go 620 blue tooth connection issue - connecting and disconnecting frequently. Tried hard reset a couple of times, re-established Bluetooth connection, called support 3 times, traffic not working with Bluetooth. The latest update is not fixing after IOS 13 update. Really frustrated with this unit.
  • jsaffarTT123jsaffarTT123 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same exact problem with iPhone X, Go 620. Latest OS 13 update broke the connection to TT. New MyDrive App update from 1 week ago but it does not make proper connection with BlueTooth so the phone does not communicate my locations with an update. When I am using my iMac and Wi Fi unit connects perfectly(but no traffic). TT receives the location update just fine but when I am away from Wi Fi connections does not receive location data and does not even indicate my route on TT..Only explanation at the moment is the OS13 update and makeover.I doubt that support is going to help without some update to the MyDrive App.
  • ChrisThomasChrisThomas Posts: 7 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have a similar issue with iphone 6s and Go 620 but it's not the bluetooth. That seems to work fine with hands free phone. My problem is lack of traffic info. I believe that info comes from the personal hot spot (also known as tethering). The TT says 'phone not in range'.
    Where do I find 'Blue Car Tethering on Demand' please?
    I've posted my problem under 'Traffic'.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,328 Superuser
    Hi @ChrisThomas

Try a Soft Reset on the GO620 and if that does not work try a Reset Device in Settings/System.

The latter will delete all your data and you will have to set the unit up again as you did out of the box.

Go to the My Drive webpage and log in to your account to check that your unit has synced all your data there, If it has then it should restore the data back to your device after the reset.

Doug
    Thanks Doug,
    What is a 'soft reset'? The traffic is working today!!!!
    I have tried reset in the past and it did the trick for one journey. Then went back to unreliable. As a coach driver I don't really need the navigation after all these years - it's the traffic info that I bought the 620 for. Expensive mistake it seems. Looking at some other posts, the common denominators are the 620 and the iphone. Is it possible to talk directly to technical at TomTom?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,328 Superuser
    Hi @ChrisThomas

The Soft Reset is When the unit is on Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound, then let the button go. The unit restarts and it can resolve some issues. If it is working today I would not do it.

One other thing you could try when the problem arises is to go into Bluetooth in Settings on your iPhone and slide the button to turn the Bluetooth off then wait a few seconds to ensure both units have severed the connection then slide it back on to see if it connects okay and traffic works then.

Doug
    Thanks again Doug,
    I'll try that. I'm still unsure if the traffic info comes from bluetooth or the wifi hot spot.
    Whatever - surely the thing should work without any problem.
    iPhone X using new OS13 update(13.1.2) from a few days ago and 2 week old update MyDrive. Bluetooth does Tried everything to connect Bluetooth and 'Personal Hotspot" while on a long trip this afternoon for Route Plan and Traffic. Only able to connect to TT 620 when I arrived home and connected to home/office WiFi. Have tried every possible step to connect BlueTooth which may have worked when a disconnect has occured in the past several years. I am convinced that IOS 13 iPhone Update has broken the smooth Bluetooth connecting function. Soft and Hard Resets, logging out and into my account, etc.shutting off and restarting iPhone, Bluetooth off and on, etc. NOTHING but Works perfectly on WiFi
    You can try the super save mode.
    • Factory reset your iPhone (most important step)
    • Factory reset your TomTom
    • Setup TomTom with WiFi and MyDrive account
    • Basic setup your iPhone (no restore)
    • Install MyDrive App on iPhone.
    • Turn off WiFi on iPhone.
    • Pair TomTom with iPhone.

Or setup a WiFi hotspot on your iPhone and use this to load traffic information on your TomTom.
    I have done every one of these things all to no avail. Just downloaded the newest software update for the TomTom but this did not solve the problem.

I know that I can use the Personal Hotspot and get some results but for the past several years both phone and TT worked just perfectly with BlueTooth with a few disconnects periodically and just had to go through a few annoying steps to restore function back to normal with Bluetooth.

I prefer not using the Personal Hotspot, even though it seems to work, I have to go through many steps when I restart my vehicle and connect the TT to my phone whereas the Bluetooth just automatically connects with not special steps.

Now absolutely nothing I have tried will permit the iPhone to function properly via Bluetooth. The iOS 13 system informs me that Bluetooth connects with the pairing code appears on both devices. Connection is made but will not receive a new destination or display route properly on the TT Screen.
  • YorkiechrisYorkiechris Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have similar issues connecting My Drive traffic data to my Go 520 on an iPhone 6s running iOS13. Connection is intermittent and often drops out , leaving me with no traffic data. The Bluetooth connection is good and I can receive phone calls and text notifications. However, I don’t have any problems connecting from an iPhone 6s Plus still running iOS12. Me thinks the app has an issue with iOS13.I have tried all the usual ideas of resetting phone and Go520. We need an update to the app so it works properly on iOS13 please!
    Or FIX the Bug Apple created and go back to iOS 12 until there is a fix.
    https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/downgrade-ios-13-back-ios-12-4-1-your-iphone-using-itunes-finder-0198642/
  • NB1945NB1945 Posts: 3 [New Traveler]
    Using iPhone 6s with go 620. Latest problem after reset of both phone and Tom Tom advised by Tom Tom is.... using phone hotspot and Bluetooth and MyDrive installed - I have no traffic or MyDrive ( unit says not available- app says device not in range! ) I deleted app and reinstalled but did not sign in, I now have TRAFFIC/MYDRIVE & BLUETOOTH showing connected but wi-fi not!!? All works and phone shows a device connected to hotspot but the 620 still says not. If I then sign into MYDRIVE, I then lose traffic and MyDrive says not connected!! Confused , I am , and going round in circles with support who don’t seem to understand my problem and just keep suggesting resetting everything constantly. So for now it works but not how it should if I follow the rules of connecting.
    When you use WiFi hotspot you have to remove the BT connection between the PND and iPhone. And also remove the MyDrive connection with the PND. (Or the MyDrive App)

So use WiFi Hotspot or BT. Not both. (For BT do not use iOS 13.* until there is a fix)