Installing new version of maps on memory card — TomTom Community

Installing new version of maps on memory card

tomtom17tomtom17 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
edited September 2019 in Map installation
I have recently bought a memory card as there were no more room for fresh updates on the satnav's memory,, i have placed the mc on the slot..but I am not sure how to install updates on it? everytime I update I cannot see any spaces being used on the card?

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,619 Superusers
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @tomtom17
    tomtom17 wrote: »
    Does that mean 64gig is too big for it?
    Yes... 32GB is the Max Micro SDHC Memory Card size for a Tomtom device... Its the maximum size that can be formatted as FAT32 which is the base for TomTom's proprietary format....

ATB YFM

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,688 Superuser
    Hi @tomtom17

The Tomtom units will add updates and maps etc by default to the internal memory unless there is not enough room. If a map update means the map will be too big to fit on the internal memory then it will download the whole map to the extra memory and delete the map on the internal memory.

You do not say what device you have but when you installed the Extra memory dd you format it in the device for maps.

Doug
    Hi
    @tomtom17

And your Tomtom device is ???

ATB YFM
  • tomtom17tomtom17 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    hey all thanks for your replies..its a tomtom via 52..
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @tomtom17

The Tomtom units will add updates and maps etc by default to the internal memory unless there is not enough room. If a map update means the map will be too big to fit on the internal memory then it will download the whole map to the extra memory and delete the map on the internal memory.

You do not say what device you have but when you installed the Extra memory dd you format it in the device for maps.

Doug

I have tried downloading updates with the mc connected to it and from what it seems it just overwrites it back to the tomtom memory whitout ever using the space in the card also what do you mean when you said, 'format it in the device for maps' maybe that's the process I missed..
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @tomtom17

Its always best to keep a small Map installed on the On-board Memory to avoid the Catch22 'No Maps Found'

See Catch22...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1670583/#Comment_1670583

Your Via 52 doesn't have world Maps available so maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your NAV4 GO 600 the account

Read & Adapt the excellent post post from user LAURE123
    It's not easy moving Maps around but reading the post you will see the method.... Obviously the Venezuela Map (From World Maps) is not available for you... Use the one allocated by VikramK or lampard....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1241492/#Comment_1241492

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,589 TomTom Moderator
    @tomtom17

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your TomTom.

Regards
    Vikram
    LAURE123 wrote: »
    Hi all

@tomtom17
    ..."also what do you mean when you said, 'format it in the device for maps' maybe that's the process I missed"...

For the card:
    - Use a microSD card class 10 of at least 16GB max 32GB, if possible a recognized brand (Samsung, SanDisk, etc...)
    - Format your microSD with your PC in FAT32. if your card is new "Quick Format" it's enough, if the card has already been used in another device "Full Format", then then in both cases "Allocation unit size" by "default" and without "Volume label" (blank).

TomTom uses a proprietary formatting mode performed by your device.
    - Put the micro SD card in the TomTom device Not connected to the PC.
    - Do a Soft Reset of your device: Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds until you hear a drum sound.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Map".
    - Or you can do it manually by yourself.
    ==> go to the main menu of your device (4Dots ....) / Settings / System / Format the memory card / choose the option "Map".

Now in the MyDrive Connect (MDC) software you have to see the microSD card like this:
    o4za7fe9xiby.png

Regards.

Salute to you @LAURE123 !!! this is the explanation(answer) I was looking for... Respect!! keep up the good work.. i tried formatting the mc on the device, it says cannot format on the device and asks me to do it on the computer! does that mean 64gig is too big for it?
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @tomtom17
    Does that mean 64gig is too big for it?
    Yes... 32GB is the Max Micro SDHC Memory Card size for a Tomtom device... Its the maximum size that can be formatted as FAT32 which is the base for TomTom's proprietary format....

ATB YFM
    hi all.. I just went out and bought a 16gig mem and every bits just fell in the right places.. thanks all for your help..

Hi
    @tomtom17

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,439 Superuser
    Hi @tomtom17

Glad to read that you finally install your EU map on a 16GB microSD and that everything went well. :)

Thinks to install the small UK & ROI map offered by the moderator on the internal memory of your device even if you don't use or need it, no obligation to update it. You will have a device that is still functional even if your microSD have a problem.

Regards.