My computer gives a message that no device is present. Instructions say to use only TomTom USB cable — TomTom Community

My computer gives a message that no device is present. Instructions say to use only TomTom USB cable

I probably no longer have the original cable, after about 10 years. Could it really be the cable? or is there possibly another problem?

Best Answers

• kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    warning
    a lot of these cables are charge only, no data lines connected and cannot be used for usb data transfers.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,591
    Superuser
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Ephy

Are you sure you have not got a Micro Sd slot on your unit as the TT lists it as able to accept extra memory up to 32gb.

Have a look at this

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25336/~/using-a-memory-card-with-a-tomtom-device

Doug
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,770
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    @Ephy

Check the first two characters of the serial number of your Start 25 as:-
    "BK">Start 25, 2GB + SDHC, MDC NAV3 EoL
    "BL">Start 25, 4GB + SDHC, MDC NAV3
    "BQ">Start 25, 8GB + SDHC, MDC NAV3

If "BK" then there will be no map update possible
    To install a SDHC 16GB class 10 card see my guide https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-800-1000-2000-series-via-series-start-20-and-60-series-mydrive-19/formatting-a-micro-sdhc-card-990256/p1

This video explains where to find the slot [video]

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Ephy

Welcome to the community!

It would be recommended to connect the device using the supplied USB cable.

But as this relates to the connectivity issue, I would suggest that you look at the video below and see if the steps advised help-

Regards
    Vikram
  • EphyEphy Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your prompt reply Vikram. However it shares no light on my problem! The video merely re-iterates what I found on the internet, which I carried out. I have almost a dozen suitable USB cables with which to connect my TomTom to my laptop. How can I identify which one might have been the correct TomTom one? Bear in mind that my TomTom is now about 8 years old and I might have lost the original cable! How can I find one that might work?
    Thanks,
    Ephy
    Superuser
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Ephy

Any chance you can find someone with a Tomtom so you can try their cable. That will sort out if there is a cable issue.

Meanwhile sorry to say that your device may now be considered obsolete. Please see the following webpage and look at the bottom.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car

Doug
    Thanks for your collective help! After connecting via several of my USB cable, it appears that I might have found one that has worked! How can I tell whether the Europe maps that I paid for have been successfully updated/downloaded?
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    warning
    a lot of these cables are charge only, no data lines connected and cannot be used for usb data transfers.
    Thanks Doug and Kingjohn!
    Map: 'Europe" v925.5451, Release date: 2/2014
    which seems a bit out of date! I think I updated in the UK around September in that year, if so then it would be apparent that the maps have not been successfully updated during the past week.
    Regarding the USB cable, when I bought my Start 25 in the UK it came with a mini USB cable and an adaptor from mini to micro (which packed up, so I used whatever micro cable I had, with which I would have updated in the UK then).
    Unfortunately TomTom was never sold in Israel, where I now live. No Israel maps available at that stage. So I only used it in Europe, regularly and happily! It's a great device. Intuitive and accurate. The best! I've used Garmin, Mio and various ones built into assorted cars that I've hired, begged and borrowed!
    I also have a USA/Canadian XL which also seems reluctant to update the free maps!
    Where and how can I buy the correct cable? I'm going to Italy/Sicily next month and will probably need it there.
    I might add that it now seems to be working again, thanks to advice from you guys, though with which maps, I don't know!!!
    Thanks for your collective assistance! I now have a USB cable that connects to my laptop. New problem! Despite originally having maps for all of Europe, from Albania to Vatican City, lots of which I don't need, upon attempting to update, I get a message that there is insufficient memory on my device! I need Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, UK. None of the options seem to cater for this collection. A choice of either UK, Italy or Germany seems to be what's available. I really all need these countries. The site recommends a chip, but my Smart 25 cannot accommodate such! Is it possible to select countries I require individually and to ignore those I don't want? If I can't get what I need, it would probably be better to forgo the update and stick with what I have! Roads might be "out of date", but it's better than losing what I have! Any suggestions, apart form buying a newer TomTom?
    Superuser
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Ephy

Are you sure you have not got a Micro Sd slot on your unit as the TT lists it as able to accept extra memory up to 32gb.

Have a look at this

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25336/~/using-a-memory-card-with-a-tomtom-device

Doug
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,770
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    @Ephy

Check the first two characters of the serial number of your Start 25 as:-
    "BK">Start 25, 2GB + SDHC, MDC NAV3 EoL
    "BL">Start 25, 4GB + SDHC, MDC NAV3
    "BQ">Start 25, 8GB + SDHC, MDC NAV3

If "BK" then there will be no map update possible
    To install a SDHC 16GB class 10 card see my guide https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-800-1000-2000-series-via-series-start-20-and-60-series-mydrive-19/formatting-a-micro-sdhc-card-990256/p1

This video explains where to find the slot [video]