Waypoints and Stops with GO 6100 — TomTom Community

Waypoints and Stops with GO 6100

Andrew42Andrew42 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
edited September 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I use a GO 6100 and am planning a two week trip in Sicily setting up one route per day. I am confused about the difference between waypoints and Stops and would appreciate some guidance. I plan my routes using TomTom Mydrive connect on a windows PC and then download to my GPS. I can see no difference between a waypoint and a stop on my PC, both have the same little flag along side them and both are described as waypoints in the route directions. So far I design a route by having a starting point and then creating an end point. I then save this and go back and edit it. I do this because I found that if I enter a starting point and then more than one additional point my ability to save it a a route disappears! So I go back and add the additional towns/places we intend to visit that day and reorder them. Because I have no idea if these intermediate towns are considered stops, I also add a stop in each particular town which means that I have two numbers on the map superimposed on each intermediate town itemised on the route. I have no idea either if I have added the stop in right place. It all seems somewhat complicated and imprecise to me but I can find nowhere that TomTom actually explains the process and their video doesn't seem to cover this at all.
Any and all assistance to get me pointeed in the right direction is very much appreciated.

Answers

• LucifyLucify Posts: 124 [Exalted Navigator]
    All waypoints that you add on mydrive web when transferred to the tomtom are treaded as a stop.
  • Andrew42Andrew42 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you. That is very helpful. I created a short test route on Mydrive, downloaded with to my device and drove it. It worked perfectly, showed the stops etc. Howvever, when i tried it a second time I found that TT without my doing anything seems to have converted it to a track and therefore no stops show and there is no inidication any more when I arrive at a stop. Can you think why that might have happened and how I get it back to being a route again? It still shows in MyRoutes on my device.
    Thank you @YamFazMan. That is a lot of information to assimilate. At the moment I have two questions:
    1. Can you suggest why my TT device suddenly changed a perfectly good route to a Track and waht I should do about it.
    2. You seem to be suggesting that it is better to plan and save routes on the device rather than on Mydrive on a PC. Am i understanding you correctly?
    Now that I've spent an hour or two creating some routes for Sicily on my device so they have solid not dotted lines I find they are not syncing back to Mydrive. Am I missing something or is TT just not very easy to manipulate?
    Thank you so much for explaining that to me. I was worried I was doing something wrong. TT clearly can't think this aspect is worth their while. I can't create a route on my PC and copy it to my device without it chaningin from a route to a track and I can't create a route on my device and back it up to my account on TT. I can't do what you suggest because although I have a large SD on my device I don't have an external reader to attach to my PC. I only have an SD because TT sold me a world wide machine with lifetime world maps but with so little excess capacity that almost immediately I had to drop most of the world as their maps got so large. Later I had to buy an SD just to keep all of Europe.
    The good thing that is coming out of this is that I have learned how to create a route on the device so that whilst I'm in Sicily without my PC i can reprogramme my routes on a daily basis if our plans change. Thank you again for your help. Excuse my rant!