Loss of sound — TomTom Community

Loss of sound

I was getting this problem regular on the 6200, but now its doing the same on the premium X

Driving along, and can see a turn coming up on the screen, but no sound prompt to tell me to turn. The only way ive found to fix the problem is turn the unit off and back on again, sound is restored and mostly dont give the problem again for that journey, but problem is back again next time, not all journeys, just some random

Im also getting asked questions by the unit, im not saying "Go Tomtom" but its hearing something and poping up and asking questions, i have to say cancel each time.

Answers

• Ovalball03Ovalball03 Posts: 296 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I would try a hard reset.That is the only way I have cured similar problems with my camper.It is a bit of a pain but does only take 5 minutes to do.Have you tried changing the wake up command for voice control?Again I had to do this as mine was waking up randomly.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    I changed my wake-up phrase as I was having similar problems too. Instead of the default "Hello TomTom", I changed mine to "Hello TomTom Navigator" and I haven't had any random voice-control prompts since then (I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying this).
  • KingJohnPremiumKingJohnPremium Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ok well 2 diffrent problems here but I'll rename the wake up command, I have the Amazon Alexa in the car perhaps I can ask it to adk the tomtom ha ha ha

Dam annoying when your just talking and the tomtom suddenly says something stupid, and I'm listning.. good job it's not as clever as Alexa as the words I use might get a responce not expected.

So will rename the wake up, when I can find it.

Hate doing a reset and loose a lot of settings etc, shame tomtom cant put the settings and things in a plain text file

It is doing it on the 6200 and premium x so there is a bug somewhere

Thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,000
    Superusers
    Hi
    @KingJohnPremium
    So will rename the wake up, when I can find it
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voice Control... 'Change the wake-up phrase'

ATB YFM
    Well here I am in south wales, the trip is about 150 miles, I've lost the voice prompts twice so far. I did a reset and programmed a root to continue my journey and it seams when I stop for a break and turn power off, unit goes to sleep and when it wakes up there is no voice, only a power off and on will bring it back.

Another way to kill the voice is to hit record to record the root, this will always kill the voice.

I was able to go into voice settings, select another voice then put it back to the default and that use to make it come back on, as you could test the voice, but that no longer works

Power off and on is only way

Come on tomtom I bought the premium x thinking it would be an improved 6200, but other that ifttt it's nothing changed, and now tull of bugs
    Superusers
    Hi
    @KingJohnPremium

Check....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu)
    Its really easy to have fat finger syndrome and tap one of the sound Icons when swiping through the menus
    k7oo7wrpfvzs.jpg

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,597
    Superuser
    Hi @KingJohnPremium

Regarding the Voice not working if you select to record the route I think you will find this is normal. The record option is based on the concept that you drive a route of your choice but want a recording so you, or someone else, can then follow the route at which point directions would be given as the recording is played.

If you were mid journey with directions being given and then you selected Record it is now not directing you but recording where you went for future use.

Doug
    Thanks, it might be possable that the sound was switched off, if the wife was doing things I adked, hard to say what was done at the time. Usually after the root has been set at home there is no reason to go into the menu, but perhaps something was wrong and it might have been switched off by accident.

So next time it goes off I'll get the wife to check whether it's still on or off, I had forgot there was a setting, so thanks I'll watch out from now on.

I had done the settings reset, first time ever, and didnt think it was going to come back on, but it did eventually, it did warn I would loose things, but previous roots was still in the unit.

Ok on the record switch voice off, well that's bad, I sometimes try the root record as I drive slightly diffrent to where it wants me to go, so again I'll keep an eye on that. Think the record stops if I pull over for a break and turn engine off, so no use if it does that.

Wonder if there is a setting to switch unit off on loss of power, and not put to sleep, a fresh restart would do it good, too much trouble manually switching.

So thanks guys, very much appreciate your help, I had contacted customer service and as usual a waste of time.

Thanks
    Superusers
    edited October 2019
    Hi
    @KingJohnPremium
    I sometimes try the Route Record as I drive slightly different to where it wants me to go, so again I'll keep an eye on that
    Are you aware the Premium Range can be set to Auto Record your last 10 Routes....
    This feature is turned off by default

8ndqgyzewfvy.jpg
    Recorded Routes
    Note: To use this feature, you need an internet connection and a valid TomTom MyDrive account.
    Have you ever regretted not planning or recording a route after driving for a day through beautiful scenic areas and landscapes? Recorded Routes records your 10 most recent trips in the background, allowing you to revisit and then save them to My Routes on your device. Once saved, your route is automatically synced via Wi-Fi to your TomTom MyDrive account from where you can share it with the rest of the world. To save a recorded route, do the following: 1. In the Main Menu, select My Routes. 2. Select Routes. 3. Select Route history.

Important: Route recording is NOT switched on by default so the first time you use this feature, select Enable to switch route recording on and then Yes to give consent to store information about locations and routes on your device.

4. Select your chosen route. The route appears with the pop-up menu open.

osyajk6o7soa.jpg
    5. Select Save in the pop-up menu. 6. Enter a name for the route, then select Done. 7. If you already logged in to TomTom MyDrive, your route is synced to your account and you are also prompted to add a photo and description of the trip before publishing it to the TomTom MyDrive community.
    Switching off route recording To switch off route recording, do the following....
    1. In the Main Menu, select Settings.
    2. Select System.
    3. Switch Automatic route recording to OFF

ATB YFM
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited October 2019
    Thanks, no not read the manual, never sure if everything works well if I'm recording roots and if the sound is going to go off I'll pass on using it.

As it's a new unit and I want to get to these places without problems I didnt mess with settings, perhaps I'll use the unit local on short 5 mile trips testing these things.

Mostly when I visit south wales it always wants my to go via the prince of wales (severn) bridge, it's faster as its via a motorway, but its 30 miles longer, I dont drive at 70 only 60 and so a shorter root via Monmouth is better, so I've been programming stop points to make it go that way, so recording that root would be good.

Right now im having a bad time with cs as they tell me there is no useful data in that my drive data file, despite the many photos they really are ignorent of its use, so I dont bother them much now

Update, oh I must already have that switched on as it always shows the last roots, I can pick recent jurneys?

So if i didnt follow the root exactly, then that recent journey will have saved my alteration to the root?

Didnt know it was recording, so if set to record the last 10 anyway, what happens when i click record?

Think i must have seen that setting and turned it on, think i had to restart after?

Thanks

Ps
    And if last 10 roots are being recorded, is it too much for the unit and the reason I'm loosing sound, or dont automatically get offered quicker root during an accident etc?

For a long time now I've not been offered faster roots, oh and you say premium x, I'm sure the 6200 also saves last roots
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Update, just been to switch/check on my drive, but when I select my roots, the next part (roots) is not there, shows my roots I've savedcalzrknvb9ht.jpg