Brightness fading iPhone 8 IOS 13 — TomTom Community

Brightness fading iPhone 8 IOS 13

When I’m using the Go app on my iPhone, the screen goes dim after a variable time - could be an hour, could be 5 minutes. It goes dark to the point of invisibility. The only cure is to force the app to close and then the screen slowly brightens up and I can restart it. This is not new to IOS 13; it’s been going no matter what version of IOS I’ve been using. This is the only app where I experience this. I spend a lot of time on the road and often I give up and switch to Waze (which I hate) but at least it stays bright.
Anyone have any ideas please?

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,142 Moderator
    Hi @Andymel2

Welcome to the Community! We just have one similar report about this. Did you experience this while driving with Carplay or without it? The iPhone battery did not remain charged when connected to the cars USB socket as they don't provide sufficient charge typically (I think it may be 0.5 amps only) so using the cigarette lighter adapter helps.

Also, there is a option under Settings>General>Accessibility>Display accommodation to turn off the 'Auto-Brightness' which adjust the brightness according to the light conditions. See if this makes any difference!

Regards, lampard
  • Andymel2Andymel2 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for the reply. i do not have a problem with battery.

Auto-Brightness is off. In IOS 13 it's in a different place (Settings>Accessibility>Display&Text Size).

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that the option you mention was removed from TomTom several updates ago.
    I forgot to answer your query re Carplay - i don't use it at all (car's too old)
  • SinnySinny Posts: 144
    Staff
    This sounds like the ios is dimming the screen because the phone is getting too hot. Can you confirm if your phone was pretty hot at these moments?
    No it doesn't get hot. That was actually the reason i stopped using Waze.
    This fading can start within 5 minutes of starting a journey. it only happens when I'm using TomTom app,l and no matter how hot the phone gets when using Waze, that always stays bright.