UK Postcode accuracy - Page 2 — TomTom Community

UK Postcode accuracy

2»

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,346 Superuser
    edited September 20
    Hi @Ains

Glad you have come back on this. I believe it is being looked at as they asked for some examples and they have been forwarded to the Tomtom personnel.

Could you check something for me that I spotted this morning relative to this problem.

I input a Postcode and when I accepted the result of the search and went to view it on the map the marker was within yards of the Shop I was visiting. In line with the problem when I then selected go and it calculated the route the destination was 13/4 miles away along the same A road the shop is on..

My question is this When I got to the actual shop I parked some 50 yards before reaching the shop although it had stopped directing me some 13/4 miles ago. When I came out of the shop and got back in the car and plugged my phone back in and I asked it to take me to my previous destination which was the shop. It calculated the route not to where it had sent me when going to the shop but from where I was to the shop ie 50 yards.

Does the above happen to you.

ATB

Doug
  • AinsAins Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Thanks, Doug, will check this out this morning and come back
    I tried this and I think it replicated your experience. I used the postcode initially and, as usual, the arrival point was the start of the road, not the actual postcode.

I then parked at the venue and when I got into the car to leave I used recent destination and it told me I was already there!

Thanks

Ainsley
    Ains wrote: »
    I tried this and I think it replicated your experience. I used the postcode initially and, as usual, the arrival point was the start of the road, not the actual postcode.

I then parked at the venue and when I got into the car to leave I used recent destination and it told me I was already there!

Thanks

Ainsley

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that does replicate what happened to you exactly?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,221 Superusers
    Hi
    @Ains @DougLap

Didn't we bottom this out here...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1663840/#Comment_1663840
    The results of search for the initial Postcode were OK
    It was when you Tapped ( Drive ) the Cock-up Happens
    The device goes off and calculates a route to an entirely different location
    It's the Calculation after Tapping ( Drive ) That causes the Cock-up

if you used the Workaround (Long Tap on the initial Postcode location) The quick Menu Updates/Flashes... Now if you Tap ( Drive )... Route plans to the correct location...
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1663851/#Comment_1663851

ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 504 [Exalted Navigator]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your detailed feedback's and @Ains for reporting this! I'll forward this to the product team for further investigation. In a meanwhile, can you all please share the postcodes which has the same behaviors as described above with GO Navigation App? This will help us to narrow down and quantify the issue.

Regards, lampard

Two more just this morning:

BL3 4XB - google maps take you exactly to this site which is a small parade of shops and a pub. TT appears to show the correct location on its map but when you then press "Drive" it stops at the beginning of Armadale Road which is a LONG way from the actual Postcode

SK10 3LG - again, TT shows the correct location if you click "show on Map" when choosing the destination, but it actually took me to the village of Prestbury this morning - some 10 minutes form the actual destination

Thanks

I often use the Royal Mail website to find locations (when I'm at work, I'm fortunate to have access to a GIS system as well). I then use the found location to add it to MyDrive so that when I come to make the journey, I know my GO6200 is going to take me to exactly the right spot.
    5rvuf18itwr9.png
    xyxzhrmr6ah1.png

YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Ains @DougLap

Didn't we bottom this out here...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1663840/#Comment_1663840
    The results of search for the initial Postcode were OK
    It was when you Tapped ( Drive ) the Error Happens
    The device goes off and calculates a route to an entirely different location
    It's the Calculation after Tapping ( Drive ) That causes the Error

if you used the Workaround (Long Tap on the initial Postcode location) The quick Menu Updates/Flashes... Now if you Tap ( Drive )... Route plans to the correct location...
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1663851/#Comment_1663851

ATB YFM

Yes, that does work, but it's a workaround that introduces more steps. I'll use it while its required but surely TT has to accept that this is a fault and needs to be fixed, especially in light of the fact that this problem has been introduced in the new version.

A satnav that doesn't take you to your destination is useless.
    BrianE wrote: »
    lampard wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your detailed feedback's and @Ains for reporting this! I'll forward this to the product team for further investigation. In a meanwhile, can you all please share the postcodes which has the same behaviors as described above with GO Navigation App? This will help us to narrow down and quantify the issue.

Regards, lampard

Two more just this morning:

BL3 4XB - google maps take you exactly to this site which is a small parade of shops and a pub. TT appears to show the correct location on its map but when you then press "Drive" it stops at the beginning of Armadale Road which is a LONG way from the actual Postcode

SK10 3LG - again, TT shows the correct location if you click "show on Map" when choosing the destination, but it actually took me to the village of Prestbury this morning - some 10 minutes form the actual destination

Thanks

I often use the Royal Mail website to find locations (when I'm at work, I'm fortunate to have access to a GIS system as well). I then use the found location to add it to MyDrive so that when I come to make the journey, I know my GO6200 is going to take me to exactly the right spot.
    5rvuf18itwr9.png
    xyxzhrmr6ah1.png

Thanks, BrianE, but as far as I'm aware this problem is only on the TT app - not sure if it is a problem on any standalone devices.
    Hi
    @Ains
    Yes, that does work, but it's a workaround that introduces more steps. I'll use it while its required but surely TT has to accept that this is a fault and needs to be fixed, especially in light of the fact that this problem has been introduced in the new version.
    A Satnav that doesn't take you to your destination is useless.
    Yes of course the problem need fixing (I never said it didn't)
    The errors you are finding on the Phone App are totally unacceptable....
    Lampard (Moderator) has forwarded the bug/error to the product team I guess we will know more when they have checked out the report....

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Ains
    A Satnav that doesn't take you to your destination is useless.
    Yes of course the problem need fixing (I never said it didn't)
    The errors you are finding on the Phone App are totally unacceptable....
    Lampard (Moderator) has forwarded the bug/error to the product team I guess we will know more when they have checked out the report....

ATB YFM

Thanks YFM, it was a general comment, not addressed to you in particular😊
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,053 Community Manager
    Please continue to give us examples so that we can add them to the ticket that we've created for this. Thanks!
    edited September 10
    Hi
    @Jürgen

Re... Doug's Post from above... 'Example Postcode error'
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Ainsley001

Glad you have come back on this. I believe it is being looked at as they asked for some examples and they have been forwarded to the Tomtom personnel.

Could you check something for me that I spotted this morning relative to this problem.

I input a Postcode and when I accepted the result of the search and went to view it on the map the marker was within yards of the Shop I was visiting. In line with the problem when I then selected go and it calculated the route the destination was 13/4 miles away along the same A road the shop is on..

My question is this When I got to the actual shop I parked some 50 yards before reaching the shop although it had stopped directing me some 13/4 miles ago. When I came out of the shop and got back in the car and plugged my phone back in and I asked it to take me to my previous destination which was the shop. It calculated the route not to where it had sent me when going to the shop but from where I was to the shop ie 50 yards.

Does the above happen to you.
    ATB
    Doug

RE...Postcode error
    Just a thought... On Doug's last observation

'The rules for Automatic Route Clearance end of journey'
    As far as I recall... Automatic Route Clearance Rules
    (1)… When you arrive to destination the route will be cleared (Inside a 50m radius)
    (2)… When the last known location is less than 400 meters from your destination AND it has been more than 120 minutes since the user suspend/turn off device, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.
    (3)… When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

We are talking about Postcode as a destination... I wonder if the same tolerance applies, and if being close to the the true Postcode location i.e...Inside a 50m radius is equivalent to 'Long Tapping' on the true location when using the Workaround and this is why you get an accurate Postcode location
    But if your outside of the true location tolerance the device uses a different set of rules to calculate the the route to the dodgy POI Location

Postcode Workaround....

ATB YFM
    edited September 10
    Jürgen wrote: »
    Please continue to give us examples so that we can add them to the ticket that we've created for this. Thanks!

Jurgen, I'll add some more next week when I'm back at work but in reality, this appears to be ANY postcode entry that you don't / can't add a house number to. Always defaults to the start of the road and if that's any distance away you're left having to drive around hoping you get there or use something else, like Google maps, for the last bit, which is nonsense.

Plenty of destinations, especially public places, don't have road numbers.
    edited September 10
    Great news - any indication as to how long that will be? (You knew that question was coming :) )Thanks
  • SinnySinny Posts: 143 TomTom Employee
    ASAP! (You knew that was reply was coming ;) )
    But seriously, it's coming soon with additional bug fixes and iOS 13 support
    Sinny wrote: »
    ASAP! (You knew that was reply was coming ;) )
    But seriously, it's coming soon with additional bug fixes and iOS 13 support

Touche :) (but thanks)
    The iOS update arrive this morning - at the same time as the iOS 13 update - pretty sure that's a first for TT :)

Will give the postcode issue a test today. Not specifically referred to in the change notes but that's to be expected
    edited September 20
    Hi @Ains

Look forward to seeing how you get on today but my first look suggests that the problem with Postcodes we found is largely resolved.

Doug
    edited September 23
    Hi
    @Ains

All the duff Postcode locations in this Topic now check out as Correct (Or are now in the same location as the PND's)
    The excepton is ... Essington Farm WV112AZ neither Tomtom or Google get that one correct

ATB YFM
    The real test will be tomorrow when I go back to work but I was able to test a couple of postcodes over the weekend and yes, the problem seems to be solved. Will update if I come across anything else strange or wrong!
    Hi @Ains

As you see above I agree the problem looks as though it is solved however I have sent a note to TT pointing out that the same Postcode position in View in Map on the PND's and the App are not identically positioned.

As an example you will see that postcode NR31 0LN on a PND is shown as On Suffolk Road whilst in the App is shown as East of Suffolk Road. Now the difference between the two positions is a few yards but it results in a different ending to the routing offered. In this case instead of being directed to Suffolk Road the App sends you to Waveney Road which is a deadend and very narrow with no access to Suffolk Road.

My reason for mentioning it is to ask if they realised the Positioning of the Postcodes differs but acknowledging that generally it is unlikely to be a problem.

I found this instance during a recent holiday in the area.

Doug
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 665 [Revered Pioneer]
    edited September 22
    Hi, @DougLap ,

Just as a matter of curiosity, I thought I would try your example in TomTom's Online Planner (https://mydrive.tomtom.com)!

This gives you TWO choices:- "Gt Yarmouth" or "Gt Yarmouth (Gorleston)".

Selecting the Gorleston version gives you Suffolk Rd, but at the junction of Boundary Road, whilst the "other" version gives Suffolk Road approx 100yds further North.

Both away from the actual device Location!

Whilst I can fully understand how a Rural Post Code can cover a reasonable size of Area (& hence determining the focal point can be "hit or miss"), I really don't understand why TomTom is so inconsistent!

Regards
    John-Jay

ps:-
    Again, out of curiosity, I used Google Street View & looked at the nearest house on Waverney Road (to Suffolk Road) & it is No 19. Using that I used the Post-Office Post Code Finder & it advises that the Post Code is NR31 0LB - NOT the desired Post Code! In other Words the APP is virtually trying to direct you to a different Post Code!!

j-j
    edited September 23
    Hi
    @John-Jay

The Post Office Postcode finder (Using Map View Mode)
    m85qcndjcfql.jpg
    The Tomtom iPhone App
    38zbuo1i60l8.png
    Both the Post Office Postcode finder and The Tomtom iPhone App place the postcode NR31 0LB on the roof of Unit 5 on Suffolk Road and adjacent to the end of the cull-de-sac Waveney Road
    Tomtom iPhone App Navigates to Suffolk Road adjacent to the end of the cull-de-sac Waveney Road

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan

Good spot. It was travelling to Simpsons Motorhome which is next to Simpsons garage that alerted me to this problem.

It is interesting that the PND's get it right with the position moving onto Suffolk Road which is correct for the Postcode and not onto Waveney Road which is a different postcode.

Doug