GO 620 does not see micro-SD card even after a full device reset — TomTom Community

GO 620 does not see micro-SD card even after a full device reset

I have a SanDisk 16G micro-SD card which I want to use to transfer .itn file to my GO 620. My PC, running Windows 10, sees it and allows me to put the file on it. But, when I insert the card in the GO 620, nothing happens, i.e. also no possibility to re-format the card with the GO 620.

I didn't find a way to force the device to check if the SD is present or not.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,063 Superusers
    edited September 15
    Hi
    @J256

The Memory card needs to be formatted FAT32

ATB YFM
  • J256J256 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Since my PC sees the SD card correctly, I assumed that it is properly formatted. Anyway, I did reformat it again, with the long process, and the result is still the same.

My conclusion, at this time, is that the GO 620 is a fragile device (as it requires the SD card to be removed and inserted ***every time*** a new file needs to be added or the software is buggy.

The GO 620 has many other design flaws and that is the end of this adventure: I returned it to the store.
    edited September 16
    Hi
    @J256
    J256 wrote: »
    (Snip) My conclusion, at this time, is that the GO 620 is a fragile device (as it requires the SD card to be removed and inserted ***every time*** a new file needs to be added or the software is buggy (Snip)
    Sorry but your above statement is incorrect....
    I maintain eight assorted NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device and never have a problem with Micro SDHC Memory cards not being recognized, never had a problem formatting a memory card to the Tomtom propriety format for Maps, never had a problem with reading or writing to a Micro SDHC Memory card, never had a problem swapping around Memory cards when transferring .ITN Routes or .GPX Tracks to any of the devices... I do it all the time here, many times a week ???

ATB YFM
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,400 Superuser
    Hi all

@J256

When you insert your microSD at its location, you hear the little "click" with the feeling of the spring effect?

Your 16GB microSD may have been used in another device before your GO620.
    On your PC the visible usable space should be around 14GB. In your previous use, partitions may have been created for a specific use, style for a Raspberry Pi. Use "Windows disk manager" to delete them.

Format your microSD with your PC in FAT32.
    ==> "Full Format", Allocation unit size "by default" and without "Volume label" (blank).
    You can also try with this software, it is approved by Sandisk and all major brands.
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Put the microSD card in the TomTom device and:
    ==> go to the main menu of your device (4Dots ....)/Settings/System/Format the memory card/choose the option "Tracks/Routes"
    Or do a Soft Reset:
    - Device switch on, press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds. This can take 30 seconds or more. The device restarts. If you see a black screen with white text, hold down the button until you hear the drum sounds.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Tracks/Routes".
    - The display of this screen (Tracks or Maps) will tell you if your card is detected or not.

Then remove the card, put your .itn files with your PC and retry the transfer in your GO620. How to do:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#Importingroutesandtracksfromamemorycard-GO,START,TRUCKERandWings.htm

Regards.
  • J256J256 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks a lot! I wish that level of details would have been included in the GO 620 user manual.
    I believe that manipulating a SD card between the GPS and a PC is a wrong engineering choice. I owned a GO 930 for more than 10 years and it was possible to access the SD card by connecting the device to the PC with a USB cable. Much simpler and more reliable!
    edited September 17
    Hi
    @J256

Mmmm I find if far more convenient using the simple menu system on the NAV4 & NAV5 devices especially when out on the road....

To transfer a route to your NAV4/5 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    Format your memory card on your PC to FAT32 format
    Copy your .GPX or .ITN route file to your Memory Card

My GO 5000 showing no routes installed.....

ca63324a-1f9d-4ae6-b84e-f924cfccf9f8.jpg
    Insert the SD Memory card into the Card Slot the device will recognise the Memory Card.....

ee41c992-7c40-4ad4-bd6f-e6a4c258fe3f.jpg
    fcbd0e45-8cba-4575-996a-6715a6c67744.jpg
    2f5dc2eb-de59-4977-a3ef-4de9a15b21f0.jpg
    6b9f6fba-2499-4670-97b5-854c143f3382.jpg
    14213df2-c56b-46ad-a0b6-0d0f7abe13eb.jpg
    Routes Transferred.....

Job done Easy-peasy

ATB YFM