How do I add a new lifetime map to my GO 5100? — TomTom Community

How do I add a new lifetime map to my GO 5100?

grahamlostgrahamlost Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited September 16 in Map installation
When I go to SETTINGS - MAPS on the device it just shows the 2 maps I already have. When I press the arrow that says Choose another map, it just takes me back to settings. There is no add a map option.

Best Answer

• grahamlostgrahamlost Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug,
    It all worked. I now have all maps on the 32GB card.
    Thanks so much for your help.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,184 Superuser
    Hi @grahamlost

What 2 letters does the serial number of the unit start with?

Doug
    Hi @grahamlost

What 2 maps have you got on the unit.

Have you got an Extra Memory Card fitted and if so what size.

How much available memory do you have on the internal memory. Tap Settings, Tap the Blue Circle with the ? in it. Scroll down and you should see how much free space on your internal memory and the extra memory card if you have one.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

I have two maps:
    Europe with UK
    USA Canada
    The USA Canada map is on an 8GB micro SDHC and I have ordered another 8GB card for the Mexico map. This should arrive next week.

My question is more related to where I need to go on the TOMTOM web to find the lifetime maps.
    Having said that when I downloaded the USA Canada map it took an eternity with multiple failures when the TOMTOM server stopped responding.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    edited September 16
    Hi @grahamlost

You cannot search for lifetime maps on the website.

I reviewed your account and just wanted to confirm that World Lifetime maps are already active for your GO 5100.

Further, you already have the latest version of USA_Canada and Europe with UK maps(v10.35)

Helpful FAQ link- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12214

Map release announcement- v10.35-
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1116939/new-maps-v10-35-available-for-download

Regards
    Vikram
    edited September 16
    Hi @grahamlost

Why do you not add a 16gb or maximum 32gb extra memory card then you can have all the maps on your unit without the need to store memory cards separately.

Also some of the maps are now becoming too big for the internal memory and will not fit on an 8gb memory card. Therefore the bigger card in the unit will accept theses bigger maps.

Thanks for letting me know your unit serial number starts QR.

From your initial post you appear to be saying that in Settings/Maps you do not have an option to Add a Map.showing. Is that correct?

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    I didn't realise that the TOMTOM could address a 32GB memory. I have now ordered one which as you say will be much more convenient.

You are correct - when I go Settings/Maps I do not have the option to Add a Map. The screen allows me to switch between the maps I have and at the top left of the screen there is an arrow that says Choose another map. This arrow just takes me back to Settings.
    Hi @grahamlost

Sent you a PM.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug,
    It all worked. I now have all maps on the 32GB card.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Hi @grahamlost

Pleased to hear it. Make sure you have at least 1 small map lying on the internal memory.

ATB

Doug