How to Turn Off Wi-Fi Transmission? — TomTom Community

How to Turn Off Wi-Fi Transmission?

I notice that whenever my Go Basic 6 is powered on, it is aware of any available Wi-Fi networks, so is presumably constantly transmitting on the Wi-Fi band.

I don't want this. Firstly, because I don't want to be exposed to this close-range transmission for long periods when I don't need it; and secondly, when I use my SatNav on battery power (such as when walking), I want to save all available energy for powering the screen and navigation duties.

I find Wi-Fi useful for software and map updates, but have no other need for it, so want it turned off nearly all the time. I've explored the menus and haven't found a way. I've searched the manual for all "Wi-Fi" references and still haven't found a way.

When my SatNav is disconnected from a Wi-Fi network, is it still transmitting on the Wi-Fi band? If so, how do I turn this off?

Best Answer

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,579 Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    @Totally_Lost_Again

You could try phoning customer services:-

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,207 Superusers
    edited September 5
    Hi
    @Totally_Lost_Again
    I notice that whenever my Go Basic 6 is powered on, it is aware of any available Wi-Fi networks, so is presumably constantly transmitting on the Wi-Fi band.
    Mmmm... Is it listening/receiving or transmitting ???

Forget the Wi-fi on the device....
    You can't actually turn-off the Wi-Fi but you can forget it, the device will still be monitoring for a Wi-Fi service but not Connecting & Syncing....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Wi-Fi... Tap on your Wi-Fi's Name (Screen top left)
    Tap Modify --> Forget
    Follow on-screen instructions to finish

ATB YFM
  • Totally_Lost_AgainTotally_Lost_Again Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    Hi YamFazMan,

Yes, it boils down to what is this device doing with Wi-Fi when it's powered on? Is it just listening (it is certainly listening), or is it listening and transmitting all the time, even when not Wi-Fi-connected? I would like to know.

And if it's transmitting all the time, I would like to be able to turn that off -- for more reasons than I have stated.

With all respect, I think only the TomTom technical guys can answer this.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 663 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi YamFazMan,

With all respect, I think only the TomTom technical guys can answer this.

Possibly, but this is a "Peer-to-Peer" Forum - hence, the responses are going to usually be from "Other-Users" (particularly from those with a lot a Practical Experience, such as @YamFazMan )!

edited September 5
    @John-Jay,

I appreciate that, although the moderators do read here, and I've seen instances of topics being fed back to the developers.

Is there another way of contacting TomTom more directly? I have looked, but didn't find one. If there is a better way, please let me know.

Thanks.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,579 Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    @Totally_Lost_Again

You could try phoning customer services:-

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 629 Superuser
    edited September 5
    Compared to the power consumption of the backlight whilst operating your TomTom, the wifi uses next to nothing. Yes it is constantly on (assuming the device isn't sleeping), but it only sips tiny amounts of power to look for recognised wifi networks in range.

As for any health risks, if you want to reduce exposure to wifi for carcinogenic reasons, then you'll also need to add this list to it too (including coffee and pickled vegetables).
    edited September 5
    Hi
    @Totally_Lost_Again

As a silly none scientific test....
    On my Laptop I ran a excellent program called Wi-Fi Analyser, it monitors and reports information on viable local Wi-Fi broadcasts

(1)... GO 6200 Wi-Fi Device Turned OFF (Not Sleep) Wi-Fi Analyser reports 10 Wi-Fi broadcasts

(2)... GO 6200 Wi-Fi Device ON with Wi-Fi Forgotten.... Wi-Fi Analyser reports the same 10 Wi-Fi broadcasts

(3)... GO 6200 Wi-Fi Device ON with Wi-Fi turned ON... Wi-Fi Analyser reports the same 10 Wi-Fi broadcasts

All 10 of the SSIDs found have established recognised names....

ATB YFM
    edited September 5
    Hi @YamFazMan,

Good thinking.

Funnily enough, I was thinking the same thing. I have Wi-Fi Analyzer on my phone. I'll give that a try. I might just take my SatNav out into the wilds first though, to be clear of any stray Wi-Fi signals.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    @YamFazMan - when you say '10 Wi-Fi broadcasts', do you mean 10 SSIDs being advertised? As I understand it, the TomTom won't be advertising itself as an SSID, as it only connects to wifi as a client.

I think the only way to determine if the wifi of the TomTom is active is by grabbing its MAC address and stumbling/sniffing for activity from it on another wifi adapter.
    Hi
    @dmulv

Hold the power button until you hear the Drum-Roll sound keep holding the power button until the status screen is displayed....
    The Wi-Fi MAC address can be found on the status screen

ATB YFM
    Yes... although it was more a question of are you identifying wifi activity by looking at how many SSIDs are being advertised with the TomTom on/off/sleeping?

If so, then I don't believe that's really telling you if the TomTom's wifi is active or not.
    edited September 6
    Hi
    @dmulv

The Fing Network Scanner App on my iPad finds the GO Premier

(1)... The GO Premier...Wi-Fi Active... Shows as On-line
    Fing reports....
    The PI Address... MAC Address... MAC Vendor as Tomtom Software... Operating System Android
    You can Ping it... There are NO ports open... Trace route reports Unreachable....
    (2)... The GO Premier...Wi-Fi Off (Forget)... Shows as Off-line
    You can't Ping it....

(3)... The GO Premier Sleep Mode... Shows as Off-line
    (4)... The GO Premier Turned Off Mode... Shows as Off-line

ATB YFM
    Interesting... although I think the network scanner is only looking at either SSIDs of available networks, or other devices active within its own network.

It's not going to be able to - for example - see devices in other wireless networks, or devices not connected to any network.

So the fact that the Go is showing as offline with the wifi forgotten doesn't necessarily mean that its wifi is turned off - just that it's inaccessible to the scanner. I believe it will still have its wifi turned on in order to periodically scan for recognised networks.

The only time I'd imagine the wifi is completly turned off is when the Go is either sleeping or turned off.
    Hi
    @dmulv

I use 2 Different & Independent Wi-Fi sources here....

I logged the GO Premier out of the Wif-Fi source I used in the first Test and logged the GO Premier into the 2nd Wi-fi source....

With my iPad still logged into the 1st Wi-Fi source
    The Fing Network Scanner App found the GO Premier connected to the 2nd Wi-fi source....

Using the Fing Network Scanner App... I ran the 4 tests as in the previous post
    The results were identical....

ATB YFM
    I had a play with Wi-Fi Analyser on my phone after a drive out into the sticks. The result suggests I'm more subject to exposure from sleeping in my bed at night. I'm not sure if Wi-Fi Analyser is the right tool for this though.

Anyway, that changes nothing. I would like to be able to turn off Wi-Fi if I'm not using it. Same with Bluetooth.
    edited September 10
    Hi
    @Totally_Lost_Again

The Fing Network Scanner App shows a lot more Info

ATB YFM
    @Totally_Lost_Again - honestly, I really wouldn't worry about the wifi and Bluetooth radios being on.

If your primary concern is battery, they both take negligible amounts of battery power whilst on. Both technologies were developed with portable battery-powered devices in mind, and as a result they're insanely efficient in terms of power consumption.

If you're more worried about the health implications of being in the proximity of a functioning wifi/Bluetooth radio, this article is well worth a read. It fully explains the nature of radiation emitted with wifi and Bluetooth transmissions, including a briefing by WHO, which hopefully will allay your concerns.