GO 520 and World maps — TomTom Community

GO 520 and World maps

hubahubahubahuba Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
edited May 2019 in Map installation
i installed "my drive connect" to download the free lifetime world map of Spain and the my drive connect first screen doesn't do anything. it just shows a screen that says "update the easy way. I've already done the down loads the device recommended but i have no idea what to do next.

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,397 Moderator
    Hi @hubahuba

Welcome to the Community! The world maps on your device were not active and hence there were no maps offered to you. I've added the correct subscriptions on your device, please follow the steps in the comment here. Please make a factory reset on your device and then activate the services to apply the changes.

Thanks, lampard
  • 1deutsch1deutsch Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited May 2019
    I'm having the same problem. I purchased a tom-tom go 520 and need a map of UK and Germany. When I try to download the free lifetime world map it says "update the easy way" which I have already done. My tomtom account is [email protected] I purchased this from Amazon.com

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
    Hi 1deutsch,

I've fixed the subscriptions on your device, please follow the steps above to apply these changes.

Regards, lampard
  • mistersanimistersani Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi Lampard,
    I just bought new device Go520 tried to download Europe map and I am not able to download new map on WI FI it does not shows any available map, on the other side TOMTOM My drive App when connected to PC it pop up message that my device is able to update trough WI FI and nothing else option to do in that windows app just to disconnect device to mennage other device! HONESTLY IS STARTED DRIVE MA BIT CRAZY :).
    What is going on how to download new map if there is no option ANYWEHERE to offer me a map for download????
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,680
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @mistersani

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Go 520 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,273
    Superuser
    Hi @mistersani

This will be an account issue and a call to Customer Support will sort it out straight away or maybe @lampard or @VikramK will sort it out tomorrow morning.

Regarding the downloading you don't need a PC to download maps or updates etc you just need the Wifi connection to your GO 520 and use the menu options to do what you want.

The only reason to attach your GO520 to a PC is if you have poor or no Wifi and if you have some major problem which needs a connection.

When you turn on your PC and open the MyDrive Connect software and you connect your GO520 to the PC you get the screen you mention. At this point you ignore the PC and use the Menus on the GO520 to download maps and updates etc. In fact someone could be using your PC to browse the internet while it is going on. An example is if you have no Wifi in your House for health reasons your PC would be connected to the Internet directly not by Wifi and so in there's circumstances you use the PC's internet connection to do what you want on the GO520.

Customer support

Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

Doug
    Hi @mistersani

I've added the correct subscriptions on your device, please follow the steps in the comment here. Please make a factory reset on your device and then activate the services to apply the changes.

Regards, lampard
  • AmateurGOAmateurGO Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Add me to the list of people with a GO 520 who cannot load the worldwide maps. Pleas update whatever account information necessary to allow me to load these maps. I leave on a trip Tuesday! By the way, most of the support site is essentially unusable, especially that little chat robot!
    Hi @AmateurGO

Welcome to the Community! I've added the correct subscriptions on your GO 520 device with world maps, please make a factory reset on your device and then activate the services to apply the changes.

When you get a chance, please click on the 'yes' to mark this as an answer, this will help others who have the same problem.

Regards, lampard
  • AmateurGOAmateurGO Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Thank you lampard. That did indeed fix my map problem. I do still have some WiFi problems and have found that USB via my laptop is more reliable and faster, but that seems to be a known issue also.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,680
    Superusers
    edited September 2019
    Hi
    @AmateurGO

When you are connected over USB & Laptop is your Laptop hard-wired direct to your router or Connected via Wi-Fi.... Is your Laptop powered by it's internal battery or Mains powered through a Mains adapter ???

See bellow... What does your device report on the Wi-Fi Status Screen

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...