Updates stuck on "checking" and "getting ready" — TomTom Community

Updates stuck on "checking" and "getting ready"

RussfenderRussfender Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited August 5 in MyDrive Connect
Go 5100
How difficult is it to update TomTom sat navs!
Took 6 hours to finally update it but next time I managed to get a computer to recognize the Sat Nav it says it needs updating again.

Kept getting stuck on "checking" and "getting ready" took that long I gave up.

Tried 4 different computers.
Two different operation systems win 10, win 7.
The latest version of My Drive and an older version of My drive.
3 different USB leads, and every USB socket on all 4 computers.
Keep getting the same faults, stuck on checking and getting ready.

I've come to the conclusion that TomToms software is very flawed and virtually unworkable.

Anyone else having the same problems?
Thanks
Russ

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,207 Superusers
    Try support on Monday:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • michelv_michelv_ Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same here, reinstalled completely, now hoping that the 6% will change into 100%. How can we get myDrive to show more info than just 'waiting'???
  • RextterRextter Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Downloaded three updates the screen says 'checking' with three green dots. The screen has been like this for days and I have not been able to install an update for my device in months.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,207 Superusers
    Get the FREEWARE version of Revo Uninstaller from here:
    https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Completely uninstall MyDriveConnect from your computer.

Get a fresh copy at tomtom.com/getstarted and install. Do NOT have your device connected to the computer during the installation.

Connect your device to the computer. Open MyDriveConnect and log in (if necessary).

Try again with updates.

If no luck, call support:

02079 490 132
  • stevie28stevie28 Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have a Start 25 which updates no problem every time. I also have a GO5000 which is dreadful. Last time I updated, it corrupted my maps. I have currently been looking at "Getting ready ....." for 90 minutes. I've no idea what it's doing. Is it downloading? Is it stuck? How long will it take to complete, if it ever does?
    Come on TomTom! Why can't we have a progress bar like every other piece of software?
  • stevie28stevie28 Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    I unplugged my device and plugged it back again and that seemed to get it moving. 2 minutes left, it says. Let's hope it's true.
  • Lynnesears123_Lynnesears123_ Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My map download stalled after 60%. I tried everything,. Support said it was my computers anti virus and firewall. Then they said it was my providers limitations. I stopped anti virus, firewall my provider did something but it still stalled at 60%. Reading the above I uninstalled Mydriveconnect, reinstalled and this time it offered updates. After doing the updates, it then worked. God knows why!!! But thanks for the help given here.
  • WhooterWhooter Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    After struggling for 4 days (and most of 3 nights!), each time waiting hours for my new updates to download - then fall over - I discovered this forum! I tried deleting files, voices etc as suggested by Tom Tom but to no avail. In the end I used the uninstaller suggested above, deleted MyDrive and reinstalled the latest version. It then took about 3 hours to download the new smaller European maps but it worked fine. No idea why there are so many instances of this same problem occurring but I think Tom Tom ought to seriously check it out as it just leads to a lot of customer dissatisfaction.
  • gordpopegordpope Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dhn wrote: »
    Get the FREEWARE version of Revo Uninstaller from here:
    https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Completely uninstall MyDriveConnect from your computer.

Get a fresh copy at tomtom.com/getstarted and install. Do NOT have your device connected to the computer during the installation.

Connect your device to the computer. Open MyDriveConnect and log in (if necessary).

Try again with updates.

If no luck, call support:

02079 490 132

Thank you dhn, this actually worked. No idea why.
  • Kenneth562019_Kenneth562019_ Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just killed the app in Windows task manager and then restarted it, and then it started the update process...
  • PeterbearPeterbear Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    As Kenneth562019 said this (I just killed the app in Windows task manager and then restarted it, and then it started the update process).
    I did this and it worked for me too, after waiting 90mins for it do its checking.
    TomTom get your act together or I will use the Garmin that came with the car.
  • mikethebike3mikethebike3 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Culprit in my case was my VPN: downloads would go through OK, but then it got stuck on "checking" for ages until I realised. Disconnected my VPN and everything started working correctly.
    I thought I'd have learned this by now!