Open water swimming — TomTom Community

Open water swimming

LadysmithBOBLadysmithBOB Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I want to use GPS sport watch when swimming in the ocean

Comments

  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,108 Superusers
    I want to use GPS sport watch when swimming in the ocean

    It can't be done easily as the watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Calculating GPS while swimming is much more complicated than counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length. It cannot detect GPS underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT. What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

    I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • DALawsonDALawson Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Excellent suggestion to use Run mode in other forum
  • andy2015andy2015 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Has anyone had any luck with open water swimming?

    I understand the issue with GPS, but even jagged lines would be ok, as I usually (try to) swim in a straight line.

    I understand that HRM isn't designed to work in the water - just wondering if anyone has tried (maybe with the watch a little tighter?)

    My lake swimming season is about to start, I will update you with my findings.
  • Chas1203Chas1203 Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    forgetting about GPS, couldn't it still calculate the metrics? Garmin offer this.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I want to use GPS sport watch when swimming in the ocean

    It can't be done easily as the watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Calculating GPS while swimming is much more complicated than counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length. It cannot detect GPS underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT. What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

    I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,108 Superusers
    Chas1203 wrote:
    forgetting about GPS, couldn't it still calculate the metrics? Garmin offer this.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I want to use GPS sport watch when swimming in the ocean

    It can't be done easily as the watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Calculating GPS while swimming is much more complicated than counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length. It cannot detect GPS underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT. What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

    I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

    If you put it in swim mode you can get stroke count but that is about it. You won't get laps as you are not turning and you won't get distance as you can't set a pool size (distance is laps x pool size).
  • DALawsonDALawson Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    As mentioned in a comment I made recently, in a different forum I read that Run mode works very well - although I haven't been near open water yet to validate.

    But I've pretty much given up on using the watch in swim mode as it doesn't count laps properly unless you touch the wall with you hand and wait for it to register! Maybe a nice gimmick if you could 'resort breaststroke' laps to get to the in-pool bar and back to your lounge chair.
  • SleenSleen Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    If you put it in swim mode you can get stroke count but that is about it. You won't get laps as you are not turning and you won't get distance as you can't set a pool size (distance is laps x pool size).

    I'd imagine if you set the pool distance to say 1000m and you swim in open water for that distance, you'd get stroke and distance count?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,108 Superusers
    Sleen wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    If you put it in swim mode you can get stroke count but that is about it. You won't get laps as you are not turning and you won't get distance as you can't set a pool size (distance is laps x pool size).
    I'd imagine if you set the pool distance to say 1000m and you swim in open water for that distance, you'd get stroke and distance count?
    No you would not as you are not performing turns so it is not going to count laps and therefore not count distance, It does not base distance on stroke count as it has no way of knowing the distance you cover in a single stroke.
  • engantengant Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i tried with a pool size of 300m but i would that this is not very safe. I thing swim mode is for pool(i haven't try it yet). I havent try the run mode, i m curious of using it. Another trick i made is uploading a trail by google maps, in the sea and approximately near the swimming area and a get a result of distance, heart rate, calories(through the GPS counter) in the watch and in the Tom Tom software
  • elinormoonelinormoon Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 2019
    I used Freestyle mode for swimming and then changed it in Strava to a swim - worked really well! GPS does drop out if you keep your arm under water but quickly comes back when your hand is out. Also, HR seemed to work OK, not sure how accurate it is but was about what I expected.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online in this Category0