my TomTom XL IQ routes keeps disconnecting from PC while trying to backup — TomTom Community

my TomTom XL IQ routes keeps disconnecting from PC while trying to backup

as above
am trying to backup and then install latest software on my device as its been a while and i have teh time always reads 12:00 thing going on.
installed latest TomTom Home 2 as listed for my device
connect device
switch on device via power button
tell device to connect = OK
device connects + tomtom home recognises it
click backup device - backup starts oK
backup progress arrow gets around halfway complete and then error message
device has disconnected - reconnect device ( screen on device is still on - battery is fine )
or
scanning files for backup/restore error

via PC with windows 10 latest 64bit, Chrome browser latest

Comments

• ButrasButras Posts: 17 [Apprentice Traveler]
    any support here?
  • moleratmolerat Posts: 40 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Don't bother "backing up" through Home. Just connect to your PC and copy and paste the whole thing from This PC to somewhere safe.
    molerat wrote: »
    Don't bother "backing up" through Home. Just connect to your PC and copy and paste the whole thing from This PC to somewhere safe.

OK cheers, will try that
    then try updating using Home 2 i guess ?
    is that any more reliable?
    Copying the whole thing means you could, if necessary, just wipe the device and paste the copy back on. Done it a couple of times without problem.

Once copied just do updates then do a back up copy again. I have my original out of the box 2008 copy on my computer.
    perfect - thanks - will try that. :)
    didn't expect this buggy random crap from a big name - but I guess that just teh way of things these days. ho-hum! :/
    got this error message while trying to manually copy the entire contents of the internal drive.
    any ideas ?

8n0uf4v1xj2r.jpg
    further info - device seems to disconnect during the copying process regardless of method ( via Home 2 - or direct copy /paste in windows )

the little flashing symbol in the bottom left of the TomTom screen stops around 60% of the way through in both cases ....
    All I can suggest is a different cable and then a different computer. Maybe someone else will be along with an idea.
    All I can suggest is a different cable and then a different computer. Maybe someone else will be along with an idea.

thanks
    tried cable = no difference
    PC not so easy - must be some kind of windows 10 security thing maybe or i dunno what ?

Disconnect from the internet and turn off your firewall and security and give it a go. Another possibility is that your USB is going to sleep, you can switch off USB power saving in Device Manager.
    Disconnect from the internet and turn off your firewall and security and give it a go. Another possibility is that your USB is going to sleep, you can switch off USB power saving in Device Manager.

thanks again - will try that - it does seem to disconnect at the same point each time so would fit with a power-saving timer - will try that first
    update - tried disabling the USB power saving - no change