START 52 Saving a specific route to the devic — TomTom Community

START 52 Saving a specific route to the devic

topoltopol Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
edited August 2019 in MyDrive Connect
how do you save a specific route on tomtom's start 52, every time i try to do it, it reverts back to the (non) quickest route.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,832 TomTom Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Hi @topol

When saving the route in MyDrive web you need to sync it as a track. See image below:

n57vlpcsckxa.png

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • topoltopol Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks, I'll try that, but does it retain the set route for later?
    edited August 2019
    I've planned a route on mydrive, how do I transfer it to my start 52? its no good on the website, I need it to be on my device
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,862 Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @topol

To Sync & Save a .GPX Track.... From the MyDive Web Route planner
    The NAV4 None Live Start 52 the device need to be connected over USB with MyDrive Connect running in the Background

ATB YFM
    I'm not stupid, I already know that the device has to be connected up. I finally figured out where the page was then find I need to log in on the device as well!, (I don't know why), so downloaded the route to my device and yes, there it is on the device in "my tracks". Trouble is now the device is showing my location about 8 miles sw of where I actually am, and the whole thing has slowed from a crawl to a creep. I waited a while and took it for a walk and eventually gave up on it and reset the whole system to factory settings. Seems ok now but I had to re-set my preferences and of course all 'my places' have been wiped. Why do you have to set up a route on the website mydrive then download it to the device, why not just do it on the device, done! What if I'm away anywhere there's no internet access? You guys just like to make everything so complicated. Anyway I won't bother to do it again, just get map updates from time to time.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,023 Superuser
    Hi @topol

Create the route on the device then save it to My Routes on the device.

If you create a route on MyDrive you logged into your account in My Drive in order to do it. When you saved the route you saved it in your account. The simple reason for you to have to log into your account on the device is how would it know where your data , including any routes you have created there , is if you haven't told it where to look.
    Here's the problem, one last time: the device calculated a route which I was not happy with, it is not the best route because it diverted me off the 'A'. road onto a single track road, The road twists and turns and you come up against traffic coming in the opposite direction so have to slow down, stop, or reverse to a "passing point", so it might look faster in theory, but not in practice. It's a journey I take regularly so I do know which is quickest. I only gave it the task to test it's logic. When I adjusted the route, which by the way is a trial in itself. (you have to "avoid part of route" one junction at a time, and the display reverts to the map every time, so to do several junctions you get pretty fed up with it) then saved it, but when I switched on a day later and picked the route from "my routes it" reverted to the original calculation, my alterations had not been saved. I know what you're going to say - do it on mydrive then download it. It does save it like that but as I said the whole thing crashed and had to be re-set, as I explained before. If I can't access the internet what do I do?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,023 Superuser
    Hi @topol

Try the following

Create a simple route with a Start and Finish then Press Drive or Lets go . Now zoom in on the map and Press the map at a point you would like as a waypoint for your route to include, maybe to miss a particular section of road. Now make sure by Zooming right in that the point is on the correct side of the road. If you Tap the marker you should get a menu with an Option to Add to the Current Route.. You can repeat this to have waypoints that take you around the section of road to be avoided.

The route on your device should now take you from A to B with a number of waypoints to avoid a section of the normal route. Now Tap Menu. Tap Current Route and Tap Add to my Routes and give the route a name.

If you go to My Routes on the Start unit you should find the route will have an Arrow on left end which has a Solid Shaft. This Arrow shows it is not a Track but a Route and when selected should follow the waypoints and will take note of Traffic data..

Any Route created in My Drive and saved is Saved as. a Track when Synced to My Routes on the Start unit will have an Arrow with Dashes as a Shaft. When you select a Track it will follow exactly the defined route, take no notice of any Traffic information and will constantly try to take you back to any placed where you missed a turning. If the road is blocked it will still try to take you along it.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,862 Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @topol
    topol wrote: »
    I've planned a route on mydrive, how do I transfer it to my start 52? its no good on the website, I need it to be on my device
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @topol
    To Sync & Save a .GPX Track.... From the MyDive Web Route planner
    The NAV4 None Live Start 52 the device need to be connected over USB with MyDrive Connect running in the Background
    ATB YFM
    topol wrote: »
    I'm not stupid
    Nobody said you were stupid... I was Just answering your question....

ATB YFM
    edited August 2019
    Douglap: I tried this, and it worked, but when I tried to reverse the route it was ok for the first two way points, when I put in a third it did something stupid at both ends of the journey. I don't think this is worth the cost, I'm taking it back tomorrow and getting a GARMIN