Internal search error — TomTom Community

Internal search error

I'm getting this message constantly with my Go 5000. At first a soft reset seemed to cure it, and/or working around by searching for the town first, then the street address. Then a drum roll reset was needed. Now even a complete reset of the device, as suggested in some other posts, hasn't cured it.

I think this started happening after I added a memory card, but I'm not sure I can get it to work without that now the Europe map is so large ...

Best Answers

• PeterThomsonPeterThomson Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    OK, thanks to @YamFazMan and @VikramK . I wanted to end up with coverage of both UK and Iceland, as I had previously (Europe + UK and Ireland buildings) and don't have time to do multiple reformats and map reloads. So here's what I did:
    • Installed a random small map (I picked Algeria) on the device, not the memory card
    • Changed the device settings to use that map, and checked that a couple of simple searches worked OK
    • Disconnected and powered off the device, then removed the SD card (yes, it was class 10 SDHC)
    • Reformatted the card on my laptop to FAT32 - full format, not quick one
    • Ejected the card from the laptop and put it back in the device
    • Restarted the device and re-formatted the card to Tomtom
    • Re-connected to MyDrive Connect
    • At this point I was not offered any of the variant Europe maps, only the complete Europe map (including Russia I think) which I didn't really want - so I asked to install this to the device rather than the card, which of course wouldn't work, and at that point I was offered the other Europe options
    • Installed Europe + UK and Ireland buildings to the card
    • Changed the device settings to use that map

That's all completed, and several test searches have worked OK, both local and international.

So - I don't know whether having the Algeria map that I haven't (afaik) paid for will come back to haunt me later, but as of now that appears to have solved the problem. I just hope it won't need doing regularly ...

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,980 Superusers
    edited August 12
    Hi
    @PeterThomson

If you haven't got a small Map on your Built-in Memory @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators can allocate a Map to your account to act as a Keeper... If you decide install a small Map don't remove it... The Small Map it will enable the device to keep running and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

First, are you confirming that "internal search error" is likely to be something to do with the memory card, and suggesting that I try removing it?

Second, how can I tell whether I have a small map on the built in memory?
    edited August 12
    Hi
    @PeterThomson

I suppose it was a word of caution, in case you decided to remove the Memory Card
    And you finished up with the NAV4 Catch22 situation

You could try a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

ATB YFM

Well, OK, thanks for the word of caution, I might have tried that. I might still, since I don't have any other ideas and don't know whether I have a small map or not. I guess if I hit the catch-22, putting the memory card back in and trying again should get me back to where I am now?

As I more or less said in my first post, I have tried a drum-roll restart, it has worked sometimes in the past but not any more.
    edited August 12
    Hi
    @PeterThomson

What do you get offered when you connect the GO 5000 to MyDrive Connect ???

ATB YFM

Offered in terms of map options? I can now see some smaller options covering parts of Europe. The western zone would usually be enough coverage for me, and that should fit in the internal memory. Unfortunately though I'm going to Iceland next week, and to get both Iceland and UK coverage I need one of the all-Europe options, none of which will fit into internal memory.

There are also lots of options for maps of other parts of the world, which I don't think will be available to me, although it does look as though I could download them to device or card.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,015 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @PeterThomson

I would go with the suggestion from 'YamFazMan' of installing a smaller map or zone on the internal memory.

The only thing I wanted to add was to test the search on the device once you have a smaller map zone installed. Try searching for few places or postcode and check if you still get that error.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • PeterThomsonPeterThomson Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    OK, thanks to @YamFazMan and @VikramK . I wanted to end up with coverage of both UK and Iceland, as I had previously (Europe + UK and Ireland buildings) and don't have time to do multiple reformats and map reloads. So here's what I did:
    • Installed a random small map (I picked Algeria) on the device, not the memory card
    • Changed the device settings to use that map, and checked that a couple of simple searches worked OK
    • Disconnected and powered off the device, then removed the SD card (yes, it was class 10 SDHC)
    • Reformatted the card on my laptop to FAT32 - full format, not quick one
    • Ejected the card from the laptop and put it back in the device
    • Restarted the device and re-formatted the card to Tomtom
    • Re-connected to MyDrive Connect
    • At this point I was not offered any of the variant Europe maps, only the complete Europe map (including Russia I think) which I didn't really want - so I asked to install this to the device rather than the card, which of course wouldn't work, and at that point I was offered the other Europe options
    • Installed Europe + UK and Ireland buildings to the card
    • Changed the device settings to use that map

That's all completed, and several test searches have worked OK, both local and international.

So - I don't know whether having the Algeria map that I haven't (afaik) paid for will come back to haunt me later, but as of now that appears to have solved the problem. I just hope it won't need doing regularly ...
    edited August 13
    Hi
    @PeterThomson

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    Leave the small Map installed to act as a keeper & Stop any further NAV4 Catch22
    ATB YFM