Transfer/Load my routes to new device — TomTom Community

Transfer/Load my routes to new device

kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
Hi, well its still a problem changing email address and having to reset device to use new, so is this what i need to do?

Old 6200, old email address
Change this to new email address

New device arrives (go premium x)
login with new email address that matches the change above

Sync all my places etc

Switch off new device, it should now have all my places

Back to my old account and change email address back to the old email address
can now login with tomtom 6200 once more

Now switch back on premium x, and i need a new account, set that up with new email address
new premium x will now send backup to new my drive account

All ok?

Anyway to save anything else?

Thanks

Best Answer

• kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    P.s, those gps readings, I thought they were just examples ha ha. Not as nice as older units

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,017
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ingjohn6200

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    Find/Load the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    a3bdf3f4-a5bd-46bf-9447-683ddf169f40.png
    2nd Click on Copy
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

ATB YFM
    Ive been using the poi editor for years, since the tomtom 300, however the instructions to download the settings are not working, ive tried in both firefox and chrome now. I click the link and nothing happens?

7cwuohuo85at.jpg

Not doing anything, i also checked downloads
    edited August 2019
    restarted Firefox in safe mode, still no use. Tried chrome with most security settings off, think this is not working.

1, change email address to match new premium x
    2, switch premium x on
    3, login to my drive it will now sinc to device

4, switch device off
    5, change email address back to match 6200
    6, load my drive with new email address
    7, switch new unit on and it will upload to mydrive

so whats wrong with the above?
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @kingjohn6200

Both Chrome & Firefox + MyDrive Web Route planner... Saving the Json.gz file to the Desktop 'OK'

Click on the Image to enlarge...
    y5ml6gb6pz74.jpg
    ATB YFM
    edited August 2019
    Well unless its saving it without any popups I'm not seeing it?

Where would it save, using a laptop that dont have anything installed for tomtom.

When I click it, something is shown on the bottom left of the browser, but no popup to save.

Anyway, its probable quicker using the change of email address. Item arrives tomorrow so I'll soon know.

Did this when upgrading from 6100 to 6200, hope there was a better way

Thanks anyway, but just not working here, I'll try again a few times though

Wouldnt be a VPN problem? These companies want to know too much when you visit
    update
    logged into new account, and that popup gives me a zip file to save, so something wrong with its settings in my old account
    Must be an easier way of doing this :angry: phone call, they are checking out the problem now, i said just send me a copy of the file ha ha

waiting
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @kingjohn6200

You can of course use the same Email & Password on both devices
    You can have up to 10 devices on the same Email & Password

BUT if both devices are in use at the same time there can be a problem

Quote from a previous post...
    firefox wrote: »
    as logistics manager i have all the tomtom's set up on my laptop under one account, recently i have noticed that if i get in my car my tomtom will set a destination that another driver is going to automatically even though he is using a different tomtom.
    can anyone advise why this is please?
    The problem is easily overcome
    By Logging out of MyDrive on your devices
    When you need to sync a route file, log back into MyDrive on the device/s you wish to sync the data
    I use this method with eight devices... After all, you only need to enter the password, the device remembers the email address

If you're not happy logging in/out of MyDrive on the devices, you will need to set up a MyDrive account with different Email and password for each device... the downside is you will need to set up and maintain multiple MyDrive (Web) Route planner accounts for any MyPlaces, POI's and Routes you wish to sync to each individual device

Note... If you are restricted to only having one email address
    You can use a false email address like
    [email protected] But when using a false email and choosing what goes into 'Anything_Goes_Here' be careful
    Make sure its not someone's real email address, or they will receive all of your contact emails from Tomtom

I maintain three NAV4 devices Start 60, GO 5000, Rider 400 and five NAV5 (Wifi) GO 520, 620, 6200, Premium & Rider 550 by simply logging in/out of MyDrive
    I use a single password across all the devices... You only need to enter the password, the device remembers the email address
    Most of the time on the individual devices I am out logged of MyDrive and only log in to sync data as required, then log out again

NAV4.................. Tap (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing
    NAV(5)+Wifi)... Tap (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing

Note.....
    Logging out of MyDrive on the device does not stop the device receiving Tomtom Traffic and live services info

The above does not work in the USA the Live Traffic system is different to UK/Europe

ATB YFM

edited August 2019
    as i said, i dont want to link these, i want separate accounts, and im not going to reset old unit and loose a lot.

changing my 6200 password to a new one, then adding that in the new unit, it should login and sync, i hope it wont force me to add the device.

once unit has downloaded my data, can then switch to new account online and mydrive will read contents from device.

ive sent cs a video :) so they can see the problem, long phone call, and guy clueless

If all fails, ill buy a garmin

A lot of the problem is that my places were recorded on devices that you could save the GPS location, not like these new devices. So a car park in the middle of Wales in the corner, next to the shop :) has been saved. I tried to view the location and attempt to add it to the new account, its just not possible without knowing its GPS. Why they removed the save current location i don't know. My places are mostly saved GPS locations, not street names etc, ive a lot i need on the new unit.

Not sure what happens to my 6200, so need it separate now, just in case i give it to my son, he had my 6100

see what happens
    Typical, wrote my own script, took forever, got all my places saved as poi, then they fixed it :) still nice of them to give me an extra 5% as a long term struggling customer

Thank you tomtom, i take it all back
    edited August 2019
    @YamFazMan Im always interested in other ways, and I thought Id give your instructions a try THANKS for posting them

Worked good, I originally thought it would extract one location at a time, but see its a group of all my places. So easy to add those back.

Thanks again, all down to a faulty tomtom server im afraid

Oh and PIO edit can load them and show the GPS locations, can tweak those if necessary
    Superusers
    Hi
    @kingjohn6200

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @kingjohn6200
    A lot of the problem is that my places were recorded on devices that you could save the GPS location, not like these new devices. So a car park in the middle of Wales in the corner, next to the shop :) has been saved. I tried to view the location and attempt to add it to the new account, its just not possible without knowing its GPS. Why they removed the save current location i don't know. My places are mostly saved GPS locations, not street names etc, i've a lot i need on the new unit (Snip)
    Coordinates.....
    Tap on the four dot Icon (....) (Bottom left screen)
    Tap Search Icon
    Tap (Top right on screen) Tap Whole map Note…… On some units (I think) it says Installed Maps
    Scroll down
    Tap Latitude Longitude Icon
    When the device has a "GPS Satellite lock"
    The Latitude and Longitude shown on the screen examples are....
    Live for your location

Maybe useful.... Saving your Current position as a MyPlace

Note the images are from a Tomtom NAV4/5 Car Satnav

Tapping the Direction of travel pointer (Above the + & - signs)

0lk1r8wc2qzv.png
    Toggles the map view between the Driving & Planning views
    If you are using the North-up overview planning Map
    The direction of travel pointer... is flatter more squat

e3rpb60l5sv0.jpg

If you want to save your present location to 'MyPlaces'....

(1)... Switch to the North-up overview planning Map
    Long Tap on the Chevron Location cursor (Tap and hold for + 1 second) a Quick menu opens... Tap the 3Dot Icon Tap 'Add to MyPlaces'

(2)... Switch to the North-up overview planning Map
    Long Tap anywhere on the screen (Tap and hold for + 1 second) a Quick menu opens... Tap the 3Dot Icon Tap 'Add to MyPlaces'

Note... Long and short taps give different menu option

For example... Short Tap of the screen
    (1)... With the screen displaying Driving View Map... Tap in the Arrowhead Location cursor --> Tap Mark Location
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Myplaces... Scroll down to Mark Locations --> Tap on the required Marked location --> Tap Add to MyPlaces --> Rename the location as required

(2)...With the screen displaying the North-up Overview Planning Map
    Pinch Zoom the Planning Map to Max --> Tap in the Arrowhead Location cursor --> Tap Mark Location
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Myplaces... Scroll down to Mark Locations --> Tap on the required Marked location --> Tap Add to MyPlaces --> Rename the location as required

ATB YFM
    Thank you, so many of these functions still there but hidden, well not like the use to be. Add gps location was a button.

I did find how to save the current location just a few days ago, after 3 years use ha ha, well it's not something I would try and do often.

I'm pleased IFTTT is also available, but not many scripts available, hope that improves.

Si as a test, when I'm 300 yards away the Philip's hue bulbs in my Livingroom all light up... cool

I was using the android to do that, and hue app.

Didnt you suppose to be able to send your location to a friend, or is that just via an email, nothing via the sim card?

Thanks again for a lot of information, I sent the page to my Epsom printer, so should see it printed when I get home.

Cheers
    Accepted Answer
    P.s, those gps readings, I thought they were just examples ha ha. Not as nice as older units