fake tomtom forum — TomTom Community

fake tomtom forum

kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
is there nothing being done about this fake forum, i signed up thinking it was here

https://www.tomtomforums xxxxx

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,200 Superusers
    If you are referring to www.tomtomforums.com, there is nothing fake about it. It is an UNOFFICIAL support forum and says so in its header. What is your concern about that???

I am a moderator there and have been for many years. All of us there are users such as yourself.

I see you did join the forum on Sunday. And have made three posts so far.

• kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited August 6
    then use another name not tomtom, when i search for tomtom forum i expect to find the real company not someone faking them

yes and i thought i was posting in here, so you can delete those posts and my account, i don't join fake forum

my post does say i tried to login, but it was locked. Thinking it was here
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,200 Superusers
    You throw the term 'fake' around frequently. Despite all your certificates, etc. you show in your sig, interesting that reading comprehension isn't there.

And, not that you care, tomtomforums has been around LONGER than this user forum set up by Tomtom the company.

• tgoldtgold Posts: 2,075 [Revered Pioneer]
    dhn wrote: »
    tomtomforums has been around LONGER than this user forum set up by Tomtom the company.
    That is quite true, but the caption "we're the largest TomTom Forum on the net," is perhaps less so nowadays.
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    If it was me I'd issue a take down notice without any problems, fake
  • candersoncanderson Posts: 42 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited August 14
    I think you'll find that the earlier USER forum moderators (dhn and myself included) have a long and a good relationship with the corporate group. I doubt you'll ever see a 'take down' notice. We were trying to help users resolve TomTom issues back when the company was still trying to sort it all out over the phone. Now it's good that there are at least two sources for information. Often, we are able to sort out problems with older equipment that isn't recalled well by newer owners and moderators.

Next time you visit a forum dealing with an automobile, consider that 99% of them aren't related the the manufacturer, either. Thousands of such examples in many industries. Unclear why you have such a problem with this one.

Just a note from another retired EE, one of the 1971-1973 operators of W0EEE (UMR), and former network manager for a large, well-known company.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 670 [Revered Pioneer]
    then use another name not tomtom, when i search for tomtom forum i expect to find the real company not someone faking them
    For a Forum set up to help/support TomTom Users, what alternative name would you suggest?

I would add that it CLEARLY states that it is a "Friendly Unofficial Support Forum" - which clearly means that it has NO intention of pretending that it is an Official TomTom Site!!

• BrianEBrianE Posts: 506 [Exalted Navigator]
    Also, if it didn't contain tomtom in its address then that would surely make it harder to find, which I would say would be a very negative thing.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 506 [Exalted Navigator]
    Even reputable organisations like the BBC sometimes report things that are presented as fact (not deliberately, I'm sure) but when you listen carefully to what is being said, it's clear that it's only supposition (the clue being in words like could, might be, probably, etc). Then there's politicians, who rarely answer a question and when they do, it's quite often loaded with incorrect or fake information. We live in a world where some of what we see and hear is not what it appears to be, so I think the lesson is to try to always be aware, keep your senses focussed and if unsure about something, then take appropriate action to protect yourself. Unfortunately, it's often the vulnerable in our societies who suffer most because they perhaps have lost or never had the ability to evaluate what is good and proper and what is not. That's how the criminals get away with what they do.