Alarm sounds on TomTom VIA — TomTom Community

Alarm sounds on TomTom VIA

Is there any way to update alarms on via to have a better range. i.e. my old tomtom had cow sounds and car honks and all sorts of sounds so it was really easy to tell if you were speeding or if there was a red light camera ahead by selecting varied sounds. On the Via they all sound so similar.

Comments

• CatNipCatNip Posts: 480 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Ditto the Start 25.
  • KakdeKakde Posts: 118
    Hi Hayes,

This setting is indeed there in Via and Start series devices.

Please follow the instructions mentioned below to change alarm settings:

- Go to settings on your device.
    - Select safety settings.
    - Please chose the option you want warning sound for.
    - Please select your preferred warning sound.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Shardul
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 480 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Thanks, Shardul, but I think the point is the limited range of sounds available by default on some devices. My Start 25 has a large number of inbuilt warning sounds, but they all sound very similar. Someone I know had an older TomTom (model unknown) with an 'interesting' speeding warning - known by me as 'Tally Ho!'. The Start 25 has various warning beeps and a police siren, but you can't always remember what they signify.

Still, I think you should still be able to install your own suitable warning sound clip via the My Drive Connect program.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,582 Superuser
    @CatNip

You can import .wav or .ogg files via Add community content to my device in the 'Community warning sounds on device' section 'Add Warning Sound'

These will then appear along with the other 'warning sounds' in alphabetical order
  • HayesHayes Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    CATNIP is right, there is no sounds other than all similar in my device. All the warning signs are pretty much the same. You don't know if your going through a red light camera or slightly over the speed limit or coming into a school zone or whatever other warnings you have selected. It's dangerous really as you have to take your eyes off the road to try and see what pops up on the screen.
    I can't find add community content to my device. Is that on the PC or on the actual device.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,195 Superusers
    If you use MyDriveConnect, then click on the small tomtom icon in the notification area of your computer (next to the clock) with MyDriveConnect running and your device connected.

A link will appear. 'Add community content'. Click it and a new screen opens up where you can add custom pois and other stuff to your device.

However, the newest models such as the Go 50, 60, 500,600, 510, 610, 5000 and 6000 require MyDrive (not MyDriveConnect) to add the ov2 files to the device but not the bmp associated files or custom sounds.
  • smwilson243smwilson243 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Is this the same idea for the Start 52 or is there another way to do it now
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,248 Superusers
    Hi
    @smwilson243

For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Average Speed Camera Zone'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera
    Even more info if in the 'Setting menus' you setup a Wide Traffic/Route Bar
    93197384-69ec-4f9d-b7ae-f68a6f82ffae.jpg
    ATB YFM