Should I upgrade my Rider 400 to the 550? — TomTom Community

Should I upgrade my Rider 400 to the 550?

I currently own a Rider 400. For those that used to own a Rider 400 and have also also purchased the 550 -- can you let me know if it was worth? What improvements were most valuable? And did anything work differently (in a bad way) than what you were used to with the 400? Overall -- would you recommend an upgrade?
Tagged:

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Cjpeltz

Check out the information on the image attached below:

hiq187wz46l1.png

With regards to reviews or feedback, I would leave that with our RIDER community users to post their views.

Thanks
    Vikram

• cjpeltzcjpeltz Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    RoadRider wrote: »
    The MyDrive app is now needed on your phone to use all features. This app uses depending on your phone a lot of battery capacity and TomTom thinks it should always be active.

Thanks for the detailed feedback on the differences. The dependency on MyDrive is not an issue for me -- as I already have to have it on my phone in order to sync routes via Bluetooth (I don't use the cable). It's not clear to me how Wifi will improve things over Bluetooth though -- if the phone is still needed in both cases. And, if the MyDrive app wasn't such a battery hog, this wouldn't be a big deal.

• JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 287 [Exalted Navigator]
    You can’t use Bluetooth anymore to share routes.

can i get a bit more information on this ??
    does it still allow importing when selecting my routes on the gps ?? (the list of your routes)
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 298 [Supreme Pioneer]
    JoelS. wrote: »
    You can’t use Bluetooth anymore to share routes.

can i get a bit more information on this ??
    does it still allow importing when selecting my routes on the gps ?? (the list of your routes)

You can still share at the my routes list but only to SD card the Bluetooth option is not available on the Rider 5x0.

The best option to share a track now is with MyDrive and share a route link. But you need internet access to use MyDrive.
    The best option to share a track now is with MyDrive and share a route link. But you need internet access to use MyDrive.

You indicated above - "The MyDrive app is now needed on your phone to use all features.". Could you setup your routes on a laptop using MyDrive and then have the 550 pull the routes via WiFI automatically, without use of a mobile phone? Or is the phone required for any kind of route transfer you want to do from MyDrive?
    cjpeltz wrote: »

You indicated above - "The MyDrive app is now needed on your phone to use all features.". Could you setup your routes on a laptop using MyDrive and then have the 550 pull the routes via WiFI automatically, without use of a mobile phone? Or is the phone required for any kind of route transfer you want to do from MyDrive?

Yes you can use WiFi for loading routes poi’s and traffic information. It also works while driving when you use the phone as hotspot but this is not supported by TomTom.

Also you only need the MyDrive app for the new features like Siri and Google Now integration.
    The old way of connecting your Phone with BT Tethering is also still available.

You can load tracks, routes, places and poi’s with every version of MyDive and MyRoute-App (Tyre I did not test version 8 jet)

But also USB cable and SD-card still works.
    Only the Bluetooth option to share routes is not available anymore. All other changes are extra new features and they kept the old way of working.

BT audio also supports AD2P now for better sound quality.

The main improvement over the 400 series is speed.
    Also WiFi makes live much easier.
    On my parters Rider we do not use the phone at all. Everything is loaded with WiFi.
    You can load tracks, routes, places and poi’s with every version of MyDive and MyRoute-App (Tyre I did not test version 8 jet)

Thank you! On a separate topic, I have been receiving emails that TyreToTravel was discontinued as of July 17th. Is there any benefit in purchasing MyRoute-app vs. just using the MyDrive software from TomTom?

edited August 2
    TyreToTravel Had stopt and Tyre users can get 40% discount now on MyRoute-App.
    Link for discount [url="http://"]https://myrouteapp.com/en/tyre[/url]

But on Jan Boersma his website you can download the new Tyre version 8 (freeware) This version uses Google Maps again but you need your own Google API key to get it working.

Jan’s Website https://janboersma.nl/gett/nl_history.php

Also you do not need to buy MRA it is also possible to use the free version.
    Main benefits MRA Gold
    - You can use the TomTom, Here, Google an OSM maps. (Basic only OSM)
    - You can use Google StreetView
    - It is possible to compare routes with different maps.
    - Import tracks and convert them to routes.
    - Reverse routes
    - Overlay maps
    - And many more

MRA Gold is my main route planning tool.
    But also also use Kurviger and MyDrive
    if i have a route on myrouteapp, download it to my phone.
    if i hit the routes on the 400, it shows discoverable or something for bluetooth, then i shoot it from my phone to gps,

does this not work anymore ??
    or is the removed bluetooth in the share where is shows the sd card and bluetooth ??
    edited August 3
    You can only load routes/tracks with SD-Card true the MyDrive cloud.

In your case open the route in MRA -> Save as -> TomTom MyDrive. your done
    edited August 4
    correct, but then mydrive is in the middle and has a chance to alter,
    i have done it in the past.

9/10 times on fun routes, my phone is not connected with mydrive, for traffic, i force stop it on my phone, and only use it around town.

the way i do it more is by bluetooth it also gives both route and track, doing it this way.
    lifetime gold mra member,
    Without internet you can buy a USB/Lightning micro Sd-Card adapter for your phone.

Put the route on SD-Card with this adapter.
    Put the SD-Card in your Rider and Import.

But I prefer loading Tracks with the MyDrive Cloud.

I also used BT on my Rider 410 but now I share Tracks to other TomTom users with the Share option in MyDrive.
    (And I prefer the freedom of driving tracks. I only use routes when I have multiple important stops or when I create one on the Rider)
    edited August 5
    not pulling the card,. but yes, it is one way to do it.
    seems my question is confusing for some reason

i don't share with others, so not asking about exporting.
    i can easily bluetooth the route to my 400, just hit routes on the rider, then it is discoverable, just that easy.
    And that is exactly the feature that is removed in the Rider 550.

But there ar other ways to import routes an tracks. Some are even easier (but need an internet connection)