Tomtom Rider 400, memory full and won’t update. Double grrrrrr. — TomTom Community

Tomtom Rider 400, memory full and won’t update. Double grrrrrr.

JimbobsJimbobs Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Ok after my first post and numerous email to tomtom customer support I have fully diagnosed the problem.

My Tomtom Rider 400 was connected to My Drive Connect to run some updates, the updates have completely filled the tomtom device memory and the update halted. Now the device boots and works normally but has zero free memory which prevents it going into update mode.

it does still operate and connect to my PC, but won’t run updates or complete the update.

so My Drive Connect has filled the memory up and I’m now in limbo.

Surely there is a way to delete some files so the device can run the update program.? Reset doesn’t do this.

Tomtom say say I have to return the device, but all they will do is connect a utility software and delete the partially downloaded updates. Or re-flash the memory. A 3 minute job. So why can’t I do that myself? I just need the utility or process to do this. If I return the device there is a £105 fee, to delete a file.

can anyone help?

Comments

• ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    £105 to fix a problem caused by Tomtom's update process is absolutely outrageous!!!!!
  • JimbobsJimbobs Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes £105 is a lot. It’s the standard price for a repair on a Tomtom Rider 400, so if your screen is broken it’s a fair price. But all I need is to delete a file that the Tomtom update put there without checking there was sufficient space free.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,624
    Superuser
    Hi all

@Jimbobs

I read your previous topic dating back more than a month.
    Really sorry for you from the situation in which you are stuck. :slight_frown:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/tt-rider-400-memory-full-can-t-complete-updates-grrrr-1037417

When you connect your device to the PC with MyDrive Connect (MDC) open, you are still stuck on a download screen or you finally have access to a normal display like this one?

c56a18f4-54ae-49f8-8469-43fc2edb5c3b.png
    c29254d5-05c0-4bc7-ac20-1d4d330ea6a7.png
    Regards.
    Hi Laure123,

when I Connect the rider 400 to mydrive connect, the device connects ok. MyDrive Connect then tries to resume the failed update so quickly goes into updating device again, all the downloads have completed ok to MyDrive Connect, but the rider400 does not go into update mode, it stays as a usable satnav. I think because there is no memory free so it can’t run the update program. After a few minutes MyDrive Connect shows your device is not responding and gives up.

i know the rider400 memory is full. I suspect the device update program is transferred from MyDrive Connect to the rider400 which of course cannot happen because the memory is full, so the device cannot go into update mode and MyDrive Connect cannot continue.

The rider400 is full with an incomplete second copy of either the rider400 system or map share or European maps, all of which MyDrive Connect is trying to update. Why it tried to do an update when it knew the file size and the free memory size I haven no idea, but it did. MyDrive Connect filled up all the available memory an£ then got stuck, leaving me in limbo.

all I need is to delete those extra copies of the files or European map and I’m convinced it would work again. I hope newer releases of MyDrive Connect correctly checks the device has sufficient memory before attempting multiple large updates simultaneously.

if I could connect the device in usb drive mode to read all the files I could delete the problem ones...
  • ztech6ztech6 Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    When the 400 is still connected to the PC and usable, have you disconnected the USB and immediately reconnected? You should get the option to 'Import Routes', using this you can get access to the internal and SD memory on the 400?
    @ztech6 thanks, yes I have done that and it works, except Tomtom connect you to a user folder for routes, which is empty. You don’t get access to the root of the memory drive and other folders which I would need to delete the problem files.
    Superuser
    Hi @ztech6

Good idea, unfortunately it will not work. This feature specific to RIDER devices only gives access to .GPX and .ITN files.

If the micro SD has been formatted for "Routes" it will be visible and usable only for these types of files. If the micro SD has been formatted for "Maps", it will be visible in Windows Explorer with a capacity of 0GB and it will be unusable.

RIDER devices that use MDC are locked for memory access and files like all other TomTom devices.

Regards.
    Superuser
    Hi @Jimbobs

My message is long but please read it completely before trying anything.

It's impossible to connect our devices in USB mode, these are considered as network cards, the only access tool is the MDC software. So forget this idea.
    If TomTom support has another possibility I don't know it.

I understand that your MDC automatically re-attempts to download and fails systematically. You are exactly at the same point as a month ago. Your internal memory must contain the old valid and active map and a partial corrupted file of the new version. It's anomalous but it's the facts.
    For now don't think about updating your device but only to unlock it if it's possible.

The only way I know is by the access to the screen that I showed you in my previous message. You must delete the corrupted map.
    So, try to be faster than MDC before it goes into download phase to access this screen and do these manipulations below… or after the failure if the device is still connected with the green tick.
    I am convinced that it will not be easy, you will have to react in a few seconds and I don't even know if it's feasible.

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

520dda76-449d-46da-90c1-9b30ea8f15d9.png

ff34dd6f-c08e-4c53-8061-a3b0194abc21.png

What is abnormal in your situation in addition to the presence of two map files is that a month after the download hasn't disappeared and is represented. Normally this is done after 4 to 5 days if the device is not connected to the PC.

There may be a natural solution at the end of August, it's an assumption on my part. The 10.15 version of the maps will be available for download. Its new presence on the TomTom servers and in the list of pending downloads in MDC could automatically erase the download that is currently blocking you… that's what I hope.

Did you try to stop this infernal circle by yourself, TomTom support had to ask you to do it?

1/ By erasing the TomTom download folder but I think it will not be enough:
    - Like this, right click on the MDC icon in the task bar and then "Settings". (see picture)
    - or by manually deleting this folder:
    C:/Users/your PC username/AppData/Local/TomTom/HOME3/cache

c576a8ad-cb83-4118-92ac-280d516dc833.png
    35b99135-8160-4154-b04a-19b1c2153834.png
    2/ By completely uninstalling the MDC software:
    - with Windows function (accept erasing downloads)
    - manually delete these folders:
    C:\Users\your PC username\AppData\Local\TomTom\HOME3
    C:\Users\your PC username\AppData\Local\TomTom\MyDrive Connect
    - then Restart the PC (Not Shut down or Sleep)
    - Download and install the latest version MDC 4.2.2.3561
    On this page, at the bottom, the green button "Download for Windows®":
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    Or here directly from TomTom official servers:
    http://cdn.sa.services.tomtom.com/static/sa/Windows/InstallTomTomMyDriveConnect.exe

3/ After that try the procedure of erasing the corrupted file given above.

Sorry but I see nothing else to help you.

Regards.
    Thanks @LAURE123 I’ll go through this on the weekend. I have tried something similar and was able to take the ticks off the update items in MDC, but MDC simply put them back again and continued attempting updates anyway. The map showing as installed does not show corrupted on it.

thanks, James.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,764
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Jimbobs

On the rare occasions that I have problems with MyDrive connect, I delete the "HOME3" (Edit) and MyDrive Connect folders in MyDrive Connect...

On the NAV4 Devices like your Rider 400, with the latest MyDive Connect you CAN stop the DOWNLOAD of the update to your PC, but you CAN'T Stop/Clear the update process to the device once its started

But you can Delete the Home3 (Edit) and MyDrive Connect folders and force a reload of the Cache Data

I'm thinking If you delete Home3 (Edit) and MyDrive Connect folders and their contents (Cache Folder & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml)

As MyDrive Connect is re-downloading the update files to the cache (it might NOW give you the option to cancel the downloads) or give you enough time to access/delete the files using using the MyDrive Connect menus, by using the method suggested by LAURE123 in the post above

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom\

See Note(1) If you delete the Home3 and the Mydrive Connect Folder it removes the Cache Folders & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml

New Home3 and MyDrive Connect and there contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect
    You will have to login again, as if you had just installed MyDrive Connect

Note...(1)
    Re LAURE123 Post... From a couple of updates ago, I've also been deleting the 2 folders

Method…..
    (1)... Disconnecting the SatNav from the PC and resetting it by holding down the off button for 20 secs until you hear the ‘drumbeat’ release the button
    (2)... Opening ‘Run’ on the PC (click on the windows symbol bottom left – type ‘run’ in the search box – open ‘run’.
    (3)... Type into the ‘run’ box %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter
    (5)... Delete the Home3 file that is most likely corrupted and close all windows
    (6)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC and open ‘My Drive Connect’

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @YamFazMan

If I advise the total uninstall of MDC is because since the last versions the software has become more complex.
    In AppData in addition to "HOME3" there is another folder "MyDrive Connect" which also contains a folder "cache" memorizing all connections to MDC.

+

This can be done by directly deleting these folders but if the user has not closed MDC before there may be problems with the software. The "Resart" of the PC empties the RAM of the PC and it's necessary with W10 and W8.1. In addition some users have problems with the installation of MDC, a clean installation can't be negative.

Due to the problem of looping download I think that it is necessary to use the big means.

Regards.
    Superuser
    Hi @Jimbobs

For the status of the map open the sub-menu to check: In "My Maps" left click on the photo of the EU map, unroll the entire submenu.
    I already saw on a forum a user who had 2 EU maps of different version, which normally should not exist. I put the image, the screenshot is in French but it remains understandable.

280cd1ab-040b-4358-9058-2a23cceaea04.png
    Try the total uninstallation of MDC with removal of files in AppData. These are hidden files. You can access it easily by doing:
    - Using keyboard shortcut Windows logo + R, you paste the following text without spaces then the "Enter" key:
    %localappdata%
    - Then erase:
    +

Before reconnecting your device to the PC, do a Soft Reset:
    - Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds and the device restarts. This can take 30 seconds or more. If you see a black screen with white text, hold down the button until you hear the drum sounds.

Regards.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,764
    Superusers
    Hi
    @LAURE123

Sorry with the delay in replying, been busy helping Son & his Wife renovate their new old house :rolling_eyes:

Yes + 1 from a couple of updates ago I've also been deleting the 2 folders in "C:\Users\Your Computers name goes here\AppData\Local\TomTom" (I'll must edit my saved replies)

I tend not to uninstall MyDrive Connect unless I having Driver or Login issues

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi

@YamFazMan

No problem, I returned from travel but I'm still on vacation. So I spend a lot less time on internet and forums. :sun_with_face:

You're right for the pilot problems our two approaches are valid.
    Jimbobs can try yours first then mine if it still doesn't work.

After, waiting for the new map version 10.15 next week or in 15 days is also a risk free possibility even if I'm not sure of the result.

Regards.
    @YamFazMan @LAURE123 I have tried numerous uninstall and re-install options as above, including using a different PC, uninstall re-install of MDC and clearing cache files (which results in MDC re-downloading them taking all night). In all cases you can't stop MDC trying to the continue the update and you can't get the Rider400 to go into update mode (still presumably because there is zero free space in the device to run a program).

I will wait until the next version of European maps comes out because that might make MDC act differently, but I suspect the Rider400 is dead as far as updates are concerned because there is no memory to transfer the update program to in order to run it.

I think the device will have to be sent in for 'repair', even though MDC caused this problem... and could presumably cause it again.

James.

I have to decide if it is worth £105 to repair. or simply use it with no updates from now on.
    Superuser
    @Jimbobs

Arghhh!!! Sorry for you. :slight_frown:

As things stand, waiting is a good option. your Rider is still functional. These downloads will eventually fail one day, I hope ...

Sorry again for not having efficient help.
    Regards.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,484 Moderator
    Hi @Jimbobs

To stop the auto update in MyDrive Connect you will have to delete the HOME3 folder(hidden) on your computer, as YamFazMan suggested above. This will enable you to start a fresh download.

Location of the folder:- C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\TomTom(USERNAME is the user name for your computer)

Remember when you start a fresh download, its important that you install one item at a time instead of clicking on update all.

I asked the 2nd Line about this and they advised that there are more than 130 pending updates.

Normally when the updates are in a pending state it can mean one of these things:

-- The device is disconnected during an update, thus it taking a long time.
    -- There is a connection issue and the internet keeps on dropping or customer is using an unstable internet connection.
    -- There could be an Antivirus or firewall that might be blocking the download.

Advise would be to keep the device connected till the updates fail or complete.

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • toni50toni50 Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    I also have a lot of problems with my Rider 400 and TomTom doesn't help at all.
    They like to sell devices but not helping you with it.
    They download server must be running in windows XP with 2gb of ram as my device always take HOURS to do an update, Tom Tom answers IT IS YOUR BROADBAND FAULT.

My Rider 400 is slow, maps are not always right as it send me to wrong locations a few times.

Even with a 8gb SD Card if you choose to have the card for Routes only, the device still uploads the routes in the card to memory.

This is my last Tom Tom device I buy and won't recommend it to no one.