Upload gpx in MyDrive app — TomTom Community

Upload gpx in MyDrive app

Bart0Bart0 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited July 29 in RIDER
Dear helpers & users,

I'm trying to upload gpx files from my phone into the mydrive app on my phone. I can't find an import-button in the app (Android). (my routes / add route ---> there I need a browse button to browse my phone, I guess).

On my laptop, while using mydrive, there's no problem at all: First I download a gpx file from a website. Then I save it on my laptop's HDD. Then I start mydrive on my laptop, click the import button and browse to the map where I downloaded the gpx from the website. Easy.

But I don't use my laptop that much anymore. I have downloaded several gpx files on my phone, but it seems that I cannot import them to the mydrive app.

Any suggestions using the mydrive app on my Samsung phone.

thx!

The rest works "fine". No troubels sharing data between laptop/ tomtom550/ phone via wifi or bt.

Using:
Samsung A5, Samsung SM-A520F/ Android 8.0.0
Mydrive v2.6.0, NC v17.1.4.10302

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Bart0

Welcome to the community!

You said it already. This feature at the moment is not available on the smartphone MyDrive app.

But thank you for the feedback. I will forward this to the concerned team.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Bart0Bart0 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi VikramK,

Thanks for your answer. Please do so: tell the team. It would be a great asset to the app. Then it would be possible to spend a view days on the bike and download gpx for local tourrides without taking a laptop on the trip.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    if you have the 40/400/450 you can bluetooth the gpx from your phone to the tomtom, i do it often, samsung s9 with a rider 400.

i have tons of folders on myrouteapp.com for different regions of the country, its my workaround for the rider not having folder support for routes/tracks/gpx ect...
    @JoelS. Thats a very good idea!
    Yes I do have BT on my TomTom500. So yes, when I'm on a trip I can send to .GPX from my Phone to my TomTom500. Thumbs up for you!

Once I'm back home I can send the best .gpx routes I've Googled on my trip to my laptop. From there I can upload them to Mydrive. So I can use them another time of share them with friends.

Offcourse I want to clean my TomTom's HDD. Therefor I want to use Mydrive (app) instead of the TomTom's HDD.

Great tip!
    does it work, rumor had it that it was removed from the 500/550
    if you go to routes on the gps, i think it becomes discoverable. (my 400 does)

Definitely try it, but it might not work.
    @ JoelS.
    From all the troubles TomTom 500/550 gave me (...), the Bluetooth connection between my Phone and my TomTom was not one of them. It's easy once you know how to work it. I will definitely try the solution you gave me. Tonight. I will let you know. I will sent the .gpx from my phone to my TomTom, via BT.

The great thing I have found out is that I don't use regular BT between my phone en my TomTom while driving. Then I use the Bluetooth-tethering. It works great. My phone gives internetconnection to my TomTom. So then I can see new trafficjams, policecamera's and other up-to-date happenings. App's from my phone can sent information to my TomTom aswell. I do not use Whatsapp and don't read textmessages, because it's annoying on the small TomTom screen and it's not safe (for me) while driving.

But I do use Flitsmeister a lot. It's a Dutch app on my phone. It gives me very exact information about police cameras/ speeding camera's. Flitsmeister sends the information via BT-tethering to my TomTom. Then I see and hear important information. It's a recommandation to everyone in the Netherlands and Belgium, the places where Flitsmeister gives good coveridge.

Keep you posted!

Bart0
    Too bad. No.
    Moving .gpx from my Android phone to my TomTom 500/550 did not work via Bluetooth. Strange.

The BT set-up between my phone (Android) and the TomTom seems to be ok. In both mainmenu's they are connected.

But, on my phone, I browse to my .gpx file. Tap it, and select "share via BT" . That's the moment the TomTom does NOT pop up between the availible BT devices. And yes, as I described above, in both mainmenu's the devices are connected.

And I try My Drive-app on my Phone. BT still connected. I use My Drive / My Routes / Add Route/ bug in the menu because there's no browse button.

I don't know other way to share .gpx via BT from my phone to my TomTom.

There's only one option left for getting .gpx on the TomTom 500/550: using a laptop and a cable.

I want to move .gpx from my phone to my TomTom 500/550

Any other options?
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 296 [Supreme Pioneer]
    The best wat to upload GPX tracks to your Rider is using the MyDrive website in your PC.
    (The app does’t support uploading GPX files the website in desktop mode does)

The best wat to share tracks with order TomTom Users is using the share option in MyDrive. This creates a route link that also works on your phone.

Of course you can also use the USB cable with you PC or a micro SD Card. (This also works without internet)

With the MyRoute-App app it is possible to open a GPX file on your Phone and save it to MyDrive so it will be synced to your Rider.
    Thanks Road Rider!

Great to hear that its not possible to share .gpx from my phone to a TomTom via BT. It's a bad thing TomTom developpers can't fix this. A laptop is big, vulnerable and expensive. Nobody wants to take it on a trip when there are other options. Anyway, thanks to your answer. I don't have to seek for the solution. It's not there.

But..

Maybe I have found another solution. I downloaded an app called My Route. Its really easy to upload my .gpx files from my phone, to the My Route App/ Cloud (on my phone). The My Route devellopping team has found a way to share their Cloud system (the gpx I've uploaded) to TomTom My Drive. How that works and if it's possible to use it from My Route App to My Drive App (on my phone), I have to find out.

Keep you posted.
    In the last part I also told you about the MRA app.
    Just open the GPX in the MRA app.
    Open the loaded Route (you will see the route on the map in MRA)
    In the menu select Save-as TomTom MyDrive
    Login and send

If all is setup well the track is send to your Rider using WiFi or BT and the phone’s internet connection.
    (You need the same MyDrive account as configured in your Rider)

All options using MyDrive will alway’s need an internet connection.
    The only way to import tracks/routes without internet is the USB cable or SD-card.
  • marco.reuselmarco.reusel Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hello Bart.
    What you can do, is to open my drive in the browser from your phone. Log in, and import the gpx file. That should work.
    In dutch:
    Hallo Bart.
    Ik heb even gekeken op mijn telefoon, en denk een oplossing te hebben. Als je je webbrowser opent, en ff googled op my drive, dan kun je die openen in je browser. Net als op je pc. Even inloggen, en dan mijn routes, importeer een gpx bestand, ff zoeken op je telefoon, en importeren maar. Dan synchroniseer deze route als een track op mijn systemen. Dan moet die als het goed is.te zien zijn bij mijn routes op de tomtom.
    Gr, Marco.
    Thank you guys. You are the very best! Finally it all works fine.

@Road Rider. Thanks for your tip about My Route App. You are right: You wrote it, I missed it, completely. I'm sorry.

@marco.reusel. You are right too. Your advice is the same as Mr.GPS said: Use the mydrive.tomtom.com website. Use the browser version. No laptop needed. Great!

That worked for me with my Android phone. I used the Opera browser. That gave me some troubles with giving my username and password. But it worked. I tried Firefox too, but that browser didn't work with that TomTom website. Same problem like Opera, but I could not make it work. Opera and Firefox are allmost the same, so both gave me the same problem with giving a username and password. Opera worked for me, Firefox didn't. As a back up browser I tried Chrome. Also a problem with giving username and password. But also, finally, Chrome worked too.

So now I have a phone. And I can use Opera or the Chrome browser to use mydrive.tomtom.com. There I can do whatever I want: Share gpx, upload gpx, browse my phone for gpx. My TomTom500/550 is connected without any hick-up.It's all easy. Finally. Thanks guys.

That means that TomTom has work to do. Get the MyDrive-app to work. The app must browse, and has to get access to my phone, like the spyware and all other apps do on my phone. TomTom, you must do better than this. We, end-users, know you can. Please fix the app. :-)
    on my 40/400, if i hit menu then my routes on the tomtom, at the top, it says discoverable and i bluetooth from the phone to the gps at that point. super easy, works every time.

sounds like that is gone on the newer one.
    edited August 6
    JoelS. wrote: »
    on my 40/400, if i hit menu then my routes on the tomtom, at the top, it says discoverable and i bluetooth from the phone to the gps at that point. super easy, works every time.

sounds like that is gone on the newer one.

Yes that is the only feature that is gone on the new 550.

The best way to share tracks now is with the Share option in TomTom MyDrive. You can use Mail, WatsApp and many more options to share a route link. This works great with PC, Mac, Android and iPhone.

So if you share with other TomTom Users do not send them a GPX but share a route link with them. (Even Garmin users can use a route link shared with TomTom MyDrive because this also has an option to download the GPX file.)

Example of a shared route https://mydrive.tomtom.com/gor-webapp/share/itinerary/be27b998-ae8c-4c29-af4c-cea794f66f3b#mode=itinerary+viewport=49.95653,5.93636,11.91,0,-0+itinerary=%7B%22id%22:%22be27b998-ae8c-4c29-af4c-cea794f66f3b%22%7D+ver=3
    edited August 7
    not a fan of mydrive and blindly hoping it's the same path that i worked on and perfected in myrouteapp gold,

i never once made mention about sharing with others, Not something i do.
    i have seen tomtom modify the journey , but you know this because you run a phone also to see when the gps takes you off your intended path. for me, my phone is always in my pocket, for when my bike and i decide to head in different directions. :)
    With MRA you also do not have to download the GPX file.

Just open the route in MRA -> Save As TomTom MyDrive

And the Track will be synced to your Rider Over WiFi or Rider < BT < Phone < internet
    This also works in the MRA app on your Phone.

I Also use MRA Gold but if you give it some time you will see MyDrive is also very useful.
  • ItsPvDItsPvD Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I totally agree. Works easy and reliable. Other feature of MRA that MyDrive does not have: you can organise your routes/tracks in folders.