GO 5200 wont let me download voices ive paid for or connect to My Home — TomTom Community

GO 5200 wont let me download voices ive paid for or connect to My Home

I Have a brand new TomTom Go 5200

Just wasted whole evening, lots of hours.

As it won't connect to Home 2 even though I can find the driver in Device Manager

It has been reset, all USB ports tried, more than one cable tried, the device has been reset, I also downloaded My Drive Connect which seems to do naff all.

I ca connect blue tooth to phone and just found out I have to disconnect the tom tom from the computer to use Wifi. Heads up on that would help.

I managed to download maps yesterday but cannot download the Mr T voice file I paid for as my Home 2.11 which has been installed and uninstalled twice won't connect t the sat nav. updates don't show voices.,

I've tried the remove and add drivers in device managers.

What's happening? I want the voice I've paid for and to make sure maps are up to date

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,932 Superuser
    Hi @Spikeysonic

The Go 5200 does not work with Tomtom Home. If you list here the voices you are trying to load on it then on Monday @VikramK or @lampard will add to your account those which work with your Go5200. You will then be able to download them to your unit.

Doug
  • SpikeysonicSpikeysonic Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
    Ta

Mr T. and Direction Dude (Meters) which I paid for

Plus Jane the free one

If this works most likely in a weeks I will purchase the Brian Blessed One

Once on my account how do I download them and whats the problem with my home and the go 5200?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,968 Superusers
    edited July 26
    Hi
    @Spikeysonic

TomtomHome is for the early NAV2 devices....

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Go 5200 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

What happens when I want to download further voices given none of this is automatic?
    edited July 27
    Hi
    @Spikeysonic

Your GO 6200 will announce when any updates/voice are available to install from your account (Probably Monday)

To find the recorded voice 'Jane'... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Voices

Tap Choose a voice... Scroll UP as well as DOWN... Find the required voice

Tap 'All Voice's (Screen bottom right) For a list of more Voices to select

The Computer voices Serena or Malcolm (UK) are the best option....
    When you compare to the TTS (Text to Speak) Computer Voices and the Recorded and Silly voices... The TTS (Text to Speak) Computer Voices have a much more comprehensive set of spoken instructions
    Example...
    Reads aloud Street Names and Road Numbers
    After the normal Warning double 'Ding'
    The device will now 'Say' the name of the Warning ....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Average Speed Zone'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spot'
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’... With Delay duration, Road Names and Road Numbers
    Traffic Islands... the Road Name and or Number of your exit is spoken
    And many more....

ATB YFM

Just to add to the above advice if you have selected the Voice Control facility and the ability to read messages from your phone then these will work even if you have selected a Voice that is listed on your unit and described as a Recorded Voice, which will include the voices you are asking to be added.

A major benefit of selecting the Computerised Voices, such as Serena or Malcolm,. you get more options when you select the voice and if you set them in Languages and Warnings to Read Aloud, an option not available with recorded voices, rather than just Sounds you can set them to verbally advise you of Cameras, including the type. Also they are more detailed in their spoken instructions at Junctions than the recorded voices. It is far easier to recognise something saying Fixed Camera than a Sound.

If you have not already done so down the right hand side of this page is the Manuals option which if you select and input GO5200 will give your manual which you can download.

Doug
    I was trying to get the voices to hear so it sounds liek say 'Mr T' I et what you are saying with computer voices but in another post was referign to voice control as in I speak and tell the sat nav what to do, ie go home open this or that. How does different sounding voices affect what I ask it to control it hands free?
    edited July 27
    Hi

GO 5200 User Guide... Voice Control Page 86 --> 91
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

Here are some examples of the commands you can say when voice control is active:
    Global commands
    "Help", "Back", and "Cancel"

Navigation and route
    "Activate phone"
    "Go home" and "Travel via home"
    "Go to a car park" and "Go to a petrol station"
    "Go via a car park" and "Go via a petrol station"
    "Display My Places" and "Recent destinations"
    "Travel via a recent destination", and "Travel via a saved place"
    "Report speed camera"
    "When will I get there?"
    "Mark the current location"
    "Add current location to My Places"
    "Clear route"
    "What's the next instruction?"

Device settings
    "Volume 70%", "Volume up", and "Volume down"
    "Mute", and "Sound on"
    "Instructions on", and "Instructions off"
    "Day colours", and "Night colours"
    "2D view", and "3D view"
    "Zoom in", and "Zoom out"

ATB YFM

If you select say Jane, a recorded voice, you will get Voice control to work but if you go to Sounds and Warnings you will find that you cannot select Read Aloud but only have Sounds as a warning for cameras etc. Recorded voices cannot be set to read Road numbers, Road Signs, Street names etc.

If you want to have the unit Read Aloud warnings then a Computerised voice is necessary.

If you have Bluetooth connected and the MyDrive app open on your phone then if your have selected to hear messages on your unit you will be offered the chance to have the message read out when a Text is received. This will work if you have a Recorded voice like Jane Selected.

I have corrected my earlier post to reflect what I have just said.

Hope this answers your question.

Doug
    Running two threads here. One for voice control and one for cool sounding voides which dont say everything

In relation to the voice control Yam. None of those voice commands wrk if I cannot get it to eve wake the voice control up with the start phrase thats the problem... Ie hello tomom or hey tomotom etc

Its totally nore responsive like switched off or not there or deaf. A different issue to the recorded voices one
    Hi
    @Spikeysonic

You need to select a Computer voice to use Voice Control

ATB YFM

Have you gone into Settings and selected Voice Control then selected Start voice control when I say Hello Tomtom.

Also can you tell us if when you go into Voices are you able to select the voice Serena if you wanted to use it.

Also if you Tap the 4 dots bottom Left has the Speaker icon bottom left got a line through it. If so tap it to turn speaker on. Has the Voice Icon bottom Right got a line through it if so Tap it to turn it on.

Doug
    Hi
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -->
    a0nuo8qoytvf.jpg

ATB YFM

A number of us who try to help fellow customers have always believed that for Voice control to work you had to Select a computerised voice. As a result of your questions it has come to light that is not true. You can select any Recorded voice to give you your directions and it would appear that provided you have the Voice Control settings correctly done and you have a Computerised voice included in the list of voices you can select from then Voice Control works.

It seems that whilst you get all your directions from the voice you want it changes to a Computerised voice when you say Hello Tomtom.

Hence my earlier question . Do you have a computerised voice available to be used if you want on your GO5200 if not then we can get one of the Mods to add one to your account so you can add it to the device. otherwise the only other thing is that you have all the settings sorted as we have advised .

Doug