No maps at all now ??? — TomTom Community

No maps at all now ???

corsurcorsur Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
edited July 24 in Map purchasing
Dam tomtom I just bought a new map for going to the USA It won't go on to my memory card. I have now tried 4 memory cards, All been formatted. NOW I can't even get my UK map Everything is gone. Got device now that has no maps at all And it won't let me install anything. NOT only have I just paid for a map but now I'm going to have to buy a new device for my holidays AND it won't be a TOMTOM that’s for sure. I just got ROBED by tomtom.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @corsur

Follow these steps:

1. Remove the memory card from the device and format it on a computer(FAT file format)

2. Soft reset the device( press and hold the on/off button till you hear the drum sounds)

3. Without inserting the memory card into the device follow the steps as suggested in this video:

Once you have a map on the internal memory then insert the memory card to install the other map.

Regards
    Vikram

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,189 Superuser
    Hi @cursor

What size memory cards are you using. You probably need a 16gb or maximum 32gb card Class 10. Maps are not split across memories.

Doug
  • corsurcorsur Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
    Okay, thanks, guys. Heres what I got. it’s a Tom-Tom VIA 130 Device is showing 3210 Mb Free on the device. The card has only 132 Mb free. I got the UK map back on device But why does it install on the memory card and not the device. ?? Yes, its only 4 Mb card that is in it. But when I try to put a bigger card in it. Even with doing all that has been said I can't get it to recognize the card. So is the only way to get my USA map on it. To remove uninstall the UK and then put the USA on it ???
    Hi @cursor

The small memory card is your problem and the UK map that you have is too big to fit on the internal memory so has gone on the extra memory card as there is just enough room for it. The unit needs 400mb of free internal memory for use by the operating system.

I assume if you take the 4gb card out the unit will not start up because you have no map in it.

You need the help of @vikram to see if he can offer you a smaller map that you can load onto the unit. If he can it will by default go on the internal memory and once there you can then take the 4gb card out and put the new one and format it for maps. Then you will be able to load both maps on your account .

Doug
    If I can get it to recognize a new 16gb card I have ordered. Will two maps go on it? And if so then can I switch between maps Thanks Corsur
    edited July 24
    Hi @corsur

Yes that should be big enough for your current Uk map and USA. You will be able to switch between them via Settings

You should not need to format the new card on your OC before you add it to your Via 130. Vikram was only suggesting that to make sure the card was okay and the formatting of it would restore it to its original condition. When you insert the card into the Via 130 you should be asked to Format it for the Tomtom.

Doug
    Thanks, Doug all done. Put in a new memory card. Had a bit of trouble at first getting the device to recognize it. But a soft reset and then it formatted card. So all working now both maps on the card.
    Hi @corsur

Glad all is sorted.

Doug