Maps deleted after failed update — TomTom Community

Maps deleted after failed update

July 12th I tried to update my map as the device has prompted me several times to do so. The only map I did have was the map that came with the device when it was bought. I havn't spent money on a map after the purchase of the device. I tried to update a "smaller map" (?) as it looked free. The device started updating but a couple of minutes in to the update it stated "update failed" and the map disappeared from my device.
When I boot the device it says "no maps found". When looking at MyDrive Connect it says that I have to buy a map to proceed and that my device is updated.
I've tried resetting the device with the 20 second power button hold down and the 3 taps on the power button, but it hasn't worked.
Is it true that by updating I lost the map that came with the device?

Comments

• ChristianFHFChristianFHF Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Device is TomTom Start 25.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,100
    Superuser
    Hi @ChristianFHF

When you do an update the new version is downloaded to your device then the old map is deleted to provide space for the new one. If there is a problem at some stage the No Map situation can arise.

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard can sort out the map for you on Monday.

Meanwhile have a look at the following to see if it will work for you.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

Doug
    Thank you, Doug! - I've already attempted what you link to, so that hasn't worked, unfortunately. Thank you for your support, and I hope something can be figured out on monday :)
    Whats the normal response time?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,414
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @ChristianFHF

Now that Doug has used '@ Username' for Vikram & lamplard
    They will receive Mail on Monday and should pick up the post...

ATB YFM
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,837 Moderator
    Hi @ChristianFHF

First of all, sorry about my late reply! There's a back-end outage today due to which we won't be able to make any changes on your account. Do not worry, I'll post back here once this is resolved.

Regards, lampard
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,203 Moderator
    edited July 2019
    Hi @ChristianFHF

A map has been activated for your device now!

Just follow the steps in the video below:

Regards
    Vikram
    Thank you so much! It is now working :)
  • triolfitriolfi Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi all,

I had a similar problem yesterday (23rd July) after having tried to update my TomTom Start 25: failure of the update, "no maps found" on the device, MyDrive Connect showing that the map (I have a Europe - Lifetime Maps, Current Version: v10.30) on the device needed to be either repaired or uninstalled. I firstly chose to fix the issue, but then the device got stuck on a loop of unsuccessful updates. Finally, the loop stopped somehow and I was able to remove the corrupted map from the device, as shown in the first part of the video posted by VikramK (how to clear downloaded data). The device was ok, I mean without the map installed, but MyDrive said that everything was updated, I just needed to install the available map.

However, this morning I started the installation of the map without clearing the data on the PC (I didn't know that I had to do that!), the updated failed once again (I guess that the file on the PC was corrupted), but now I can't remove the corrupted map on the device anymore (which always shows "no maps found"). Whenever I connect the device to MyDrive Connect, it starts in a loop of unsuccessful updates. MyDrive Connect does not even give me enough time to go to the map and to press the button "uninstall", it immediately starts the update, which ends with an error message, and then it restarts again.

I don't know how to stop such a loop. I re-installed MyDrive Connect on my Mac, reset my TomTom (following the "resetting your navigation device" tutorial, not yet the further steps which restore the TomTom software on the device through the recovery mode), but nothing worked.

Thanks for the help you can provide!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,203 Moderator
    @triolfi

The download log show that the map is in the process of downloading.

I would suggest that you keep the device connected as there are jobs running in the back ground.

Regards
    Vikram
    Dear Vikram,
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Ok, I'll try to keep the device connected and let you know what happens, but I fear what happened yesterday (almost 3 hours of update loop without the possibility at any time to uninstall the corrupted map and restart properly the process).

Many thanks again for your help.
    Regards.
    Dear Vikram,

Unfortunately, it happened what I feared. I connected the device to MyDrive Connect and the update started (time expected 1h 34 min). When 29 min were left (strangely it said to have done only the 4%!), the update failed and on the screen of the device a message said that an error occurred and to check the PC screen, where it was said "sorry, some elements have not been updated, go back and try again".

I went back and tried to uninstall the corrupted map: the device restarted (of course always showing "no maps found") and on the computer screen there was a message saying that an update of the device was in preparation.

The update never started, MyDrive Connect froze and I had to kill it via the Terminal. The CPU of the PC was around 103%, because of MyDrive Connect (actually this overheating started during the very end of the failed update).

In the following days I might try to use MyDrive Connect with another computer (I have to ask to some friends, I have a Mac and a couple of PC with Linux only), but if you have other suggestions, thanks.

Regards.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0