TomTom Home "operate" broken after Rider K4 update — TomTom Community

TomTom Home "operate" broken after Rider K4 update

JosepsJoseps Posts: 21 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited July 23 in RIDER
Hi,
I updated my Tomtom Rider 2013 (K4) to version 9.501, aiming to solve WNRO problem. And now when I try to use the "Operate" menu in Home 2 it only shows this warning:

28s66af.png

I use that remote operation a lot to create all my routes and trips in the device (typing destinations is way easier), as Tyre is just dead since the last update.
Could somebody please report this Home issue to the development team. Hopefully it requires only to allow the new version to be accessed in some config file.

Thanks,
Jose

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,407 Superusers
    edited July 20
    Hi
    @Joseps

Maybe worth a try....
    Modify Tomtom Home to use older version of tomtom Home... (Mabe usefull for End of Life TomtomDevices with No further map or other updates)

(1)… Uninstall TomTom Home
    (2)… Download last "good" version from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe

(3)… Install it without running....
    ie, un-check the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes

(4)... Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    (5)… Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.99.99.999"
    (6)… Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.99.99.999 and therefore not pull the update

ATB YFM
  • JosepsJoseps Posts: 21 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thanks a lot @YamFazMan. I have the Rider in the bike but I'm trying this as soon as I have it back in the computer.

Regards,
    Jose
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 228 [Exalted Navigator]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    (2)… Download last "good" version from
    Problem is, there is no "good" version. I believe the current TTHome doesn't know how to handle the newer NavCore. So even an older version of TTHome would have this problem.
    Hi
    @tiljes

Well if it doesn't work you're no worse off
    If it does work... Well its a Bonus ;)

ATB YFM
    True. But how to decide what is the 'good' version? So which one to download?
    edited July 21
    Hi
    @tiljes

If the latest version 2.11.6.125 isn't working
    Then I'd try the version 2.9.91.411 from my Link...
    Download last "good" version from... http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe

Note... Remember the Application version in the .INI file needs modifying before it will run... See https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660427/#Comment_1660427

ATB YFM
    Hi
    @YamFazMan Unfortunately I'm afraid the old Home 2 still won't work with the updated Rider. I still think somewhere in the code it might be checking "valid" navcores to operate.
    edited July 21
    Hi
    @Joseps

User @dhn made the original post... Maybe he will pick this up and comment

The latest Tomtom Home version 2.11.6.125 installs and runs on my Win10 PC
    Unfortunately I haven't got a NAV2 Device to connect and check it out

ATB YFM
    edited July 21
    Hi
    @YamFazMan

This problem is not Home 2.11.6.125 not working. It installs and runs all its features nicely but one.
    The "Operate your Rider" option fails to run after the last navcore update, and I assume that is specific to the K4 Rider series.

This whole problem has terrible timing for me as I have a big 9 days trip to the Alps next Saturday, and I need to type in the device all the routes. Remote operation is a live saver for that.

Do you know a way to cheat the Navcore to report a previous number to Home?
    I've only located a file mentioning the new .501 version but editing it hasn't rung a bell.

@Joseps Well, you could probably downgrade to 9.500, plan your tour from TTHome, then do the update. Or stay on the previous 9.500 with my unoficcial patch until the tour is over and hopefully TT will have released a new version of TTHome till then.

@YamFazMan Yeah that's the problem, there is no good version. No version of TTHome ever worked with the new 9.501 NC.
    @tijes, I'm totally doing a rollback to work on those routes. I had forgotten the automatic backup feature completely.
    Thanks!
    @tiljes , Sorry, I totally misspelt your name in my previous message.

I was about to follow your advice but sadly in the process of uninstalling and installing and testing that old Home version my backups seem to have been erased. I only have one of the 9.501. Lucky me.

Thanks anyway, your idea was just brilliant. Cheers
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,380 TomTom Moderator
    edited July 23
    Hi Joseps

To give you a little background, functionalities like these require development/maintenance throughout every release. As time goes on we cannot continue to support all functions to the same level :disappointed:

We have moved the support and focus more towards the new devices using this feature via MyDrive. We will not shut down TomTom HOME altogether as we continue to support all our customers with active running subscriptions.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Hi @VikramK

I'd love to say that losing support makes me happy but I'm afraid wouldn't be an honest statement.
    I have confirmed that the difficulty to fix this particular issue is close to none, as you can see in the following paragraph.

SOLVED - workaround to use "Operate my Tomtom Rider"

Procedure to use Operate with the 9.501 navcore
    1. connect the Rider to the computer and close Tomtom Home if auto-starts.
    2. locate and backup the file ttgo.bif from the Rider to your computer.
    3. edit the file in the device and replace this two lines with the following values:
      ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9500
      ApplicationVersion=1161701.2
    4. save this new ttgo.bif file in the device and optionally copy it to some place so you can use it in the future without editing anymore.
    5. open Tomtom Home
    6. use Operate (and ONLY that feature). No need to restart.
    7. when finished, close Tomtom Home and just place back the original ttgo.bif file previously saved.

As long as Tomtom Home is closed, you can change the file without issues. No need to restart or disconnect.

** Warning: the modified file must be used only to Operate. Updating or using any other feature could lead to unexpected results. The same goes for restarting the device keeping the modified .bif file. No idea what could happen.

I strongly recommend backing up the 9.501 original working file every time, as it stores information that might change over time. I also recommend editing a new modified file after any big update or switching maps.

This is just a temporary workaround. Hopefully, we will have someday a new Home version making this unnecessary.

Cheers,
    Jose

Hi
    @Joseps

Glad to see you're sorted :)
    Good workaround

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,380 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Joseps :)

Thanks for sharing. I hope that others reading would find it helpful.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Joseps

Glad to see you're sorted :)
    Good workaround

ATB YFM

+1

:)

Regards
    Vikram