Via 135 April update destroys GPS — TomTom Community

Via 135 April update destroys GPS

Why is tomtom offering an Update that bricks the device?
MANY MANY people have reported this issue and yet no word from TOMTOM.
Its July and apparently it's the same update that kripples the devices, still being downloaded.

The server overload at weekends now makes sense because thousands of people are trying to download again and again. People reporting that only after the 20 try, managed to have their device in working order BUT many more report this problem of the disconnect after 30 or 50% download. (Corrupting the map for then next try, basically if people arent smart enough to uninstall the map, then they finish the download with a corrupt map and have to do it all over again.)

How much are you paid per month? dirty money I say
Tagged:

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,245 Superusers
    edited July 23
    Hi
    @Nostro

I have a GO Live 825 and a Via Live 120 (The 4" version of your Via 135)

The latest update to fix the GPS Week Number Roll-Over for the NAV3 devices has been available since... Version 12.075 Released on 26 July 2018

This update applies to: GO 1000, GO 1005 / GO 2050, GO 1050, GO 1050 World, GO 2405, GO 2435, GO 2505, GO 2435, GO 2505 LIVE, GO 2535, GO 2535 TM WTE, GO LIVE 1000, GO LIVE 1005, GO LIVE 1050 / GO LIVE 2050, GO LIVE 1535, GO LIVE 2050, GO LIVE 2535 M,GO LIVE 820, GO LIVE 825, GO LIVE Camper & Caravan Edition, PRO 5150 Truck, Start 20 / Via 220, Start 25, Start 60 (2012), Via 110, Via 115, Via 120 / Via 160, Via 125, VIA 130 / 135, VIA 1400 / 1405, VIA 1410 / 1415, VIA 1430 / 1435, VIA 1500, VIA 1505, Via 1530 / 1535, VIA 160, VIA 1605, Via 180, Via 220, VIA 260 / 280, VIA All Blacks Edition, VIA LIVE 120, VIA LIVE 125, VIA LIVE 160, VIA LIVE 180
    •Bug fixes and improvements: Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.
    • This update prepares your navigation device for the week number rollover in April 2019 which has an impact on GPS.

Here Tomtom FAQ...What's new in the latest software for my navigation device?
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/navkit

My NAV3 Via120 Live & GO 825 Live updated without a problem
    Both work fine with NavKit Version 12.075
    Both devices have all of the latest Maps etc...

To check NavKit version....
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Left Cursor once for next page
    Tap (Me and my device)
    Tap (About my device)
    Second line... App Version
    Follow on screen prompts to exit

Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
  • NostroNostro Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It's not the first time that I update my device so I only can conclude that with all the other people having the same issue after this controversial update, the blame can only go to TOMTOM.
    It's NOT normal when a company starts to blame the firewall, antivirus AND even the USD selective suspend.

The IT department of TOMTOM are a bunch of incompetents that designed a flawed system. If It's known that after a failed instalation (due to a disconnection) then the next automatic step of the Mydrive connect app, should be to UNINSTALL the map and reinstall it. But what we got is that this piece of crap of app ignores such previous failure and keeps installing like it's non of it's business and in the end, if it reaches 100%, you got a corrupted map.

Now after reset the device, EVEN THE reset FEATURE GOT CORRUPTED.

Instead of going from 0% to 100% "repairing device", it just shows straight away 100% and the windows start flickering (hard to explain)... I just know it's stuck "Repairing".
    RIP tomtom: Hello Garmin.
    wish of the year: Bankruptcy for tomtom in 2020
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,368 Superuser
    edited July 23
    Hi @Nostro

I think you should know that like most of the contributors on this forum @Yamfazman is not a Tomtom employee but a customer like you and me but very knowledgeable about how to resolve difficulties that can arise. The problems are not always as you intimate Tomtom's but are sometimes caused by Settings that PC manufacturers apply to try and give long battery life which result in the downloads you are making being interrupted before completion.This is why he suggested you look at the USB settings.If you want to ignore that it is down to you.

If you had asked reasonably what to do about stopping continually getting a corrupt map download then someone could have suggested how to possibly avoid that but based on your response to Yamfazman there is no point in trying to help you . .

Doug
    edited July 24
    Hi
    @Nostro

Check your serial Number the first 2 characters
    Most of the NAV3 Via 130/135 have 4GB of on board memory

x47bqgkzw20f.jpg
    Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses....
    See... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB

The latest NAV3 Full Europe Map is 4.895GB
    If you device is a 4GB Model...
    You can't fit a quart into a pint pot
    You will need to install a Branded Class10 Micro SDHC Memory card
    I use a 16GB Memory card

NAV3 Memory Card Slot locations
    1alug4s8im7d.jpg

P.S,,, I just finished 4 updates on my NAV3 GO Live 825....
    Mapshare
    QuickFixGPS
    Speed Cams Europe 1 year
    Speed Cams + (2 week extra)

All updated without a hitch

ATB YFM
    edited July 24
    Hi
    @Nostro
    Nostro wrote: »
    It's not the first time that I update my device so I only can conclude that with all the other people having the same issue after this controversial update, the blame can only go to TOMTOM.
    There's nothing controversial about he latest update to fix the GPS Week Number Roll-Over for the NAV3 devices
    It has been available since... Version 12.075 Released on 26 July 2018
    Any problems with the 12.075 update were with users who hadn't updated and were caught out by the GPS Week Number Roll-Over bug
    Nostro wrote: »
    It's NOT normal when a company starts to blame the firewall, antivirus AND even the USD selective suspend (Snip)
    Anti virus or any port monitoring can affect performance
    I used to run Bitdefender and the firewall is a right royal PITA
    I would set-up MyDrive Connect in the Bitdefender Whitelist... When I logged out MyDrive and logged back in... Bitdefender would arbitrarily decide to remove MyDrive Connect from the whitelist and block access through the firewall
    Bitdefender Support even sent a custom fix to install but nothing worked for me

I now use Avast and have not had a problem with the firewall

Microsoft regularly reset some of the Windows firewall features back to default during Windows Updates

Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

Random Disconnects on Surface Pro 3 & 4
    Do you have or have access to a 'Surface Dock', if so plug your device into a USB port on that. Others have found that to work
    On the Win10 tablets, Microsoft has hidden the "USB Selective Suspend" menu
    You will need to edit the Registry for the USB Selective Suspend menu to show

Laptop users also see Note (1) & (2)
    Note... (1) My Linx 10/10 Win10 Tablet is exactly the same... I had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu
    Note...(2) Recently a User with a Dell XPS 9360 Laptop also exactly the same problem ... he also had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1234855/#Comment_1234855

Note... You may have to re-edit the registry as Microsoft may reset the Windows USB Selective Suspend features back to default (Hidden) during Windows Updates

P.S,,, I just finished 3 updates this morning on my NAV3 Via Live 120....
    Mapshare
    QuickFixGPS
    Speed Cams Europe 1 year

All updated without a hitch

ATB YFM