Memory card and map — TomTom Community

Memory card and map

Hi. I bought a Tomtom 6250 professional truck. It has not cost cheaply. I've put it into operation and installed the map of Europe. And I forgot to insert the memory card before.
Can I copy the browser map to the memory card? How could it be done?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,364 Superuser
    Hi @eva_nieto

I see you are in Spain so I assume that when you have first got the G6250 it had the European Map on it and that maybe you have now downloaded an Update of the map. When you download an update the old map is removed to make space for the new one and so this will be on your internal memory and there will be plenty of the 16gb internal memory still available for more maps.

If you Tap Menu
    Tap the ? in a blue circle then Tap About if you scroll down you will see how much free memory you have on the Internal memory.

Generally maps are loaded on the internal memory unless there is not enough space. It is a good idea to have at least 2 maps on the unit so that if you have a problem updating one of the maps and so lose it then you still have the other map so you can start the unit and reinstall the lost map.

Doug
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    I installed the UK and Ireland Map internally (It boots up first) then the European map with UK on microSD, so you could (if there is a map) install Spain only ? internal, then EU external? Takes a bit of messing about, mostly having to delete something :)
  • eva_nietoeva_nieto Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    edited July 17
    It can not be done.
    When you start the browser for the first time, the map of "europe truck 1030.9532" is automatically installed and stored internally.
    That map is from all over Europe, you can not install "parts" such as: France, Germany ... etc ... no ...
    The map of all European countries is installed.
    I try to restore the "factory" browser but even so, the map is not deleted.
    Neither can be deleted manually.
    edited July 16
    Hi @eva_nieto

The GO6250 comes with the Truck map installed and a lifetime of updates. When you do an update the old map is removed and the new updated one is loaded in its place.

By default maps are loaded on the internal memory if there is enough space and when you only have one map you have no option to delete it or move it to the Extra memory. If the map was on the Extra memory card and you remove the card and insert it in another Tomtom as the map is linked to the Serial number of your unit it will not work..

Doug
    edited July 17
    Hi.
    Thanks for your reply.
    The question he posed was because of the space of internal memory.
    Since the map is stored in the internal memory, it leaves a free space of about 3 gigas.
    If we think that when updating your products, and the maps, more and more is required, with more storage space, there will come a point where the space available for the system, maps and updates will be no space.
    WITH WHICH THE USEFUL LIFE OF YOUR PRODUCT WILL HAVE COME TO END.
    Not only that, because having little storage space, your product will slow down and you will need more time to "calculate routes or itineraries"
    I do not raise this question or doubt, with the intention of "hacking" or "hacking" your products (I am a computer systems technician).
    I only show the reality.
    If you leave the possibility of storing the maps in a "removable" memory with greater capacity than the internal memory of the "TOMTOM" THE USEFUL LIFE OF YOUR PRODUCT WILL EXTEND MORE IN TIME AND WORK WITH GREATER SPEED IN THE CALCULATION OF ROUTES AND ITINERARIES.
    Now I ask and I ask you this question DO YOU INTEREST THAT ONE? DO YOU ONLY MATTER THAT THE USEFUL LIFE OF YOUR PRODUCT IS SHORT SO THAT THE CLIENTS BUY MORE PRODUCTS FROM YOU?
    THAT'S WHAT IS CALLED "PROGRAMMED OBSOLESCENCE"
    IT IS NOT ECOLOGY
    IS IT A DECEIT?
    THANK YOU.
    edited July 17
    Hi @eva_nieto

Your GO 6250 has 16gb of internal memory and I am sure will be able to accept updates for your current map for a long time especially as you have about 3gb still free. The unit needs 400mb of free internal memory for operational purposes. It has taken a number of years for the original map on my old GO5000 (2014) which was 6gb to increase to circa 9gb. This increase is the addition of new infrastructure and the adding of significantly more details for some countries some of which only had major through routes mapped.

When and if the Map becomes too big for the Internal memory of your GO6250 then you will need to insert a Micro SD Class 10 memory card either 16gb or maximum 32gb. With the extra memory fitted when necessary the device will load the updated map on to the Extra memory card when it recognises that it will not fit on the internal memory.

If for any reason you need to add a further map say of the USA for a holiday then you will need the Extra memory and the map which is too big to fit alongside your current map will be loaded on the extra memory. Maps are not split across memories they are fully loaded on either memory with the default of the internal memory if there is space.

By the way I am a customer like you as are most of the contributors to this forum.

Hope that helps

Doug

edited July 19
    Hey, Doug, thank you so much for your answer.I thought so.I thought you were a "TOMTOM" worker or technician.I also have to say, that I don't speak English very well, and I use the "google translator" that doesn't have much precision. Already knowing, that automatically, if the system is scheduled to run out of memory, and moves the map from the internal memory to the micro SD memory and I am more relaxed. I bought a "Tomtom Professional" for trucks, and these browsers cost quite a lot.It cost me 500 Euros.Thank you again for your answer Doug.

Best regards.
    edited July 19
    Hi Eva

Glad you are happy that you can rely on the GO6250 to download maps in the right place when you need them to. I suggets if you have got a Spare 16gb or 32gb micro SD Class 10 card available that you could add it now and then the unit will be ready for when it is needed.

I do not have a GO6250 so i am not sure if you can download any more maps to your unit without having to pay for them. If you can will you let me know on here as I can recommend something you might like to do.

Doug