Why does not TomTom feature elevation?

One feature that I miss from my GARMIN GPS is elevation
Tagged:

Answers

• dmulvdmulv Posts: 609 Superuser
    Yes... that is a bit of a shame. I've not seen examples in any of the software implementations, so I can only come to the conclusion that it's not in the underlying map data.

Happy to be proved otherwise though.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,098 Superusers
    Agree with you.
    GO6200
  • bigbig Posts: 1,551 Superuser
    It doesn't have to be in the map data. The elevation is part of the satellite triangulation. (Not as accurate than the Lat and Long but still plenty accurate for driving purposes.)
  • NockertNockert Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Yes, and in GARMINs implementation you can calibrate it on a known elevation to get more accurate reading near you.
    /olle
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 609 Superuser
    big wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be in the map data. The elevation is part of the satellite triangulation. (Not as accurate than the Lat and Long but still plenty accurate for driving purposes.)
    ...but surely that's only going to tell you your elevation at the position you're currently at?

It's not going to tell you - for example - of an upcoming gradient.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,810 Superuser

What benefit to a motorist is that ability of a GPS to tell you what height you are at?

Doug
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,098 Superusers
    I have a garming foretrexx 201 ( a sport watch of 2004 with elevation by GPS), i have free altimeter application on my smartphone ( a 200€ model) and the indication of elevation are very accurate.
    With panel in mountain pass or at the seashore, only beetween 0 to 5 meters of difference. It is a pity that Tomtom don't give this indication.
    GO6200
    "What benefit to a motorist is that ability of a GPS to tell you what you are at?"

I have friends that claim that paper map is superior to GPS, I strongly disagree with them, but I will not challenge them. I have used GPS as long as it has been available for public use and have seen its development and learned to make the most of it. There are features that I do not find useful to me but know that other users appreciate them. One feature that I have valued all the time is height, not for navigation as such but similar to se buildings lakes and other thing on the screen that is hard to argue that they add benefit to motorist but add help you to se the landscape you traveling in, just like when you look at a paper map.

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,810 Superuser
    I am not challenging that someone would like Elevation available on their Tomtom device my interest was what benefit do they get from that. I thought that the GPS units that do have it will only tell me what height I am at where I am I was not aware that they could also tell me what height I would be at at a particular point on the map or route.

Doug
    Right! Just to orient me in the landscape and answer the question, at what elevation are we at, not for London but driving in the Rockies or the alp this question come up frequently in my car.
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 113 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    sigh long ago the tomtom use to tell you how steep the hill was :)
    Electronics, Electrical Engineer, Radio Ham, Microsoft Certified. Network Engineer. 50 years, now retired.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,551 Superuser
    dmulv wrote: »
    ...but surely that's only going to tell you your elevation at the position you're currently at?

It's not going to tell you - for example - of an upcoming gradient.
    Right. If you want elevation of someplace else that's a whole different issue.