Why is the new Go Camping so user unfriendly

We bought the new TomTom Go Camping in April 2019. It is the worst TomTom unit we have ever had to use and is not user friendly like the previous model Camping and Caravanning 1005 version. On delivery we had to update it straight away. Within a few days of receiving the new unit in April it locked up after just one trip. On contacting the supplier I had to do a reset to get it working again. To do the reset I had to hold down the button for over a minute.
On our most recent trip it worked fine for a couple of days and then one morning refused to work even after trying to do a reset. Of course this was the morning with the caravan on the back going to a new destination. I had to use the “in car sat nav” which is not geared for a caravan being towed. Eventually I got it working again. The next trick was for the voice to disappear and the only way to get it back was to go to "Voices" select another one and then you had voice.
Although set to "Car with caravan" and all dimensions for caravan inputted, it took us down an unsuitable road on the way to a CL. On setting it back to "car" and trying the same route again without the caravan it took the correct route using a decent road and other trips back to the caravan site without the caravan. Tried it again in "Car with caravan" setting and it avoided the unsuitable road in question? Voice still disappears.
Another issue is that you cannot change or adjust destination while moving and have to come to a complete stop which is a hassle especially when it is the passenger is setting up the unit and you are on a motorway!
Lastly at the bottom there is normally a banner showing the speed restriction and your speed even when no destination has been inputted. This banner now only comes up on occasions.
We are very disappointed in this version of the TomTom Go camping which we only bought because TT told us that our old Go Camping 1005 unit could not be fixed. We have since had it fixed at a cost of under £25!

Answers

• Ovalball03Ovalball03 Posts: 289 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I have found the secret to keep the unit performing something like it should is to regularly perform a soft reset, especially aftervany updates or changes to settings.This is done by holding down the power button and keep holding it until the system reboots and you hearva drum roll sound.I know you shouldn't have to do this but it is the only way I know which improves it's performance and stops me hitting it with a hammer.
  • SurferSurfer Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Sometimes doing the soft reset will not reboot the system and you should not be doing this on a system that is not even 3 months old.
    edited July 14
    Like I said in my post I I know you shouldn't have to do it,but that's another topic altogether.It seems to work for me👍
    A another big issue is not being able to input new details unless one is stopped. Considering we paid well over £300 for the unit it is very disappointing that it should have so many issues within the first 3 months. This is our third TT and probably our last as will be asking for a refund and looking at the Garmin Camper 770LMT-D. Thanks for you input.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,809 Superuser
    Hi @Surfer

I note your comments and would advise the following.

It is only to be expected that you need to update on purchase, which I have had to do with all my GPS including Garmin, considering the time between manufacture and actual purchase. This is made more likely now they are now updated maps 4 times a year .

Regarding not being able to change whilst moving I trust if you do go for the Garmin, which from experience I would not, then I trust you will comply with Garmins recommendation for the units operation which is as follows:-

"Do not input destinations, change settings, or access any functions requiring prolonged use of the device controls while driving. Pull over in a safe and legal manner before attempting such operations."

Doug
    edited July 15
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Surfer

It is only to be expected that you need to update on purchase, which I have had to do with all my GPS including Garmin, considering the time between manufacture and actual purchase. This is made more likely now they are now updated maps 4 times a year .

Regarding not being able to change whilst moving I trust if you do go for the Garmin, which from experience I would not, then I trust you will comply with Garmins recommendation for the units operation which is as follows:-

"Do not input destinations, change settings, or access any functions requiring prolonged use of the device controls while driving. Pull over in a safe and legal manner before attempting such operations."

Unless it was your passenger who was operating the unit,as is often the case in a motorhome.

Doug

Unless it is your passenger who is operating the unit as is often the case in a motorhome.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Surfer

Doug

No issue with updating however why does it have to be continually reset. I can understand after an update, but why does it randomly require an update?
    It is my passenger that inputs destination data and if this is required on a motorway I cannot pull over especially if towing a caravan.
    On out Camper & Caravan 1005 version, if an alternative route was available due to traffic conditions I was given the option. This does not happen with the current Go Camper.
    I am now wondering if the unit bought off Amazon was perhaps one of the original units and "old stock" however doing the updates should have resolved the problems.
    Hi Doug a very useful answer and I did do the factory reset which was a PITA as had to reload everything again. It did seem okay for awhile but then started the nonsense again.
    I am in the UK and have selected Serena however when her voice disappears to get her back I select one of the other voices and then Serena again. No issues for a couple of days and then without warning the voice disappears again.
    besides all these annoying glitches the big issue is the unit not starting up and it does this randomly even after the factory reset. You use it a couple of days with no issue and then for no apparent reason it will not start no matter what you try. Leave it a couple of hours, do a soft reset and magically it is working again.
    TBH I suspect there is a fault with this unit and it needs to be returned to Amazon. If I do buy another TT Go Camper I will buy direct from TT and hope their after sales service is just as good as Amazon.
    Hi @Surfer

Definitely sounds like a problem unit and I would return it to Amazon as faulty and ask for a replacement. I got my GO Camper unit from Amazon, in fact I got a GO5200 from them last week that was £90 below what they are quoting for a new one today. I assume it was a returned unit or a refurb either way it is unmarked, in fact the only thing is the box was a bit bashed about, and it works perfectly.

I am surprised you had to reload everything again. That suggests it is not connecting to your Account from My Drive in the unit. If you Tap Menu, Tap Settings, Tap My Drive does it say Log in bottom right or does it say Stop Syncing. If it says the latter then it is logged into your account.

All the best

Doug
    It is possible that I never thought of using My Drive to reload etc. Unit has been accepted as being faulty and is being returned. Probably get the replacement direct from TT however not sure if CRA 2015 will still apply as TT are based in the Netherlands.
    HI @surfer

What is CRA 2015

I would just get Amazon to replace it If I was really cheeky and they had offered a refund I would reorder it at the £300 they are currently offering it for Prinme or even £258 for the returned ones like the GO5200 I just got.

Doug
    CRA 2015 Consumer Credit Act which protects consumers when something goes wrong. A bit wary purchasing again from Amazon the reasoning being that buying direct from TomTom I will get a newly manufactured unit and not one that has been lying in a warehouse for several months. Reading the reviews on Amazon there are 47 reviews and over 20% are poor reviews (2 stars or less). The Garmin 770 LMT - D is not much better in comparison but does have a lot more reviews.
    Hi @Surfer

Its up to you. I would speak to someone at Tomtom and tel l them about the problems you have had and they may offer you a discount. Regarding the reviews whilst they can be useful I am fairly suspect of many of the poor reviews as to whether they really knew what they were buying or how to operate it fully. I got my GO5000 years ago from John Lewis because someone had returned it because it did not do something they expected it to do. If they had been looking on this forum beforehand they would have known that the option was not then available.

I have the Garmin 660 and would not buy another. There are some good features on it but its routing has been diabolical. Over the last 2 years the routing has improved but it still directs me through a Shopping parade car park before turning back to the turning I need but it ignored when it passed it. Also it traffic is not as good. The later units are using the same mapping but just have extra features such as Wifi connection etc.

Hope you get sorted.

Doug