Map update issues (GO LIVE 1535 keeps disconnecting or losing communication) during update process — TomTom Community

Map update issues (GO LIVE 1535 keeps disconnecting or losing communication) during update process

jthafejthafe Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
edited January 31 in Map installation
First off...I solved my problem on my own. (Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 Anniversary update, GoLive 1535m)

Every time there is a big update or upgrade to Windows it undoes all of the registry edits in the areas that are being upgraded/updated so these steps will need to be checked every time we get a new version of windows. The average update will not change these edits unless they are specifically geared toward power management.

This was a frustrating issue that I've had several times in the past and I had hoped it was over, however, with the latest map update (v9.75 North America and Mexico) it reared its ugly head once again. Unfortunately, the forum on here and customer service was little to no help. In fact, most of the advice I got only set me back and increased the amount of time I had to spend solving the issue. I was finally able to locate my issue(s) on a Windows forum. On the Surface Pro (all versions with Windows 10) and I'm sure a lot of laptops out there and lets face it a lot of people don't have desktops at home anymore, all have new power management features and have removed some of the options we used to have to customize our devices. This is all in an effort to increase the battery life which is well meaning but removing the options all together is a little short sighted in my opinion, especially since we have to use our laptops and tablets pc's to update and manage our other mobile devices such as our cell phones and GPS devices oh and not to mention these power saving efforts interfere with external hard drives too. Anyway...

The issue I had with my GoLive was that the update failed...repeatedly...and would not complete. In fact, on one occasion the map on my GPS was erased and the new one was not installed and it wouldn't complete the process which made it absolutely useless. Without a map these devices will not even tell you the time. I was flummoxed. I looked and looked in the forums on here and contacted customer service several times to no avail. That's when I decided to check out general issues associated with peripheral devices disconnecting while they were in use. Turns out the root of the problem is the power saving steps that Windows 10 no employs. If you look at the power management options in the settings for Windows 10 you will find that on some devices like the Surface Pro you only have one profile option for power management. The high performance option has been removed. I had to find how to get this back if I could. As it happens it's a registry edit in HKey_Local_Machine to get it back. Here is a link on how to do it...

http://www.lovemysurface.net/windows-10-power-settings-for-surface/

As it happens on this page is where you'll find the other settings and edits that are necessary to get the TomTom update to work. You need to disable the Connected Standby feature, at least for the update. This feature does save you power but it kills the update because it turns the power to the USB port off and without that the update will fail. So you'll have to follow the simple registry edit to turn that off. All you need is to start the RegEdit program and find the correct registry and change a 1 to a 0 and restart and you're done with that part.

You will also need to turn off the USB Selective Suspend for the update. This feature has also been hidden in an effort to keep people from monkeying with it which can adversely affect battery life but it also messes with peripheral devices. This can be done by another simple registry edit or by downloading a file that does it for you. I realize a lot of people would be nervous (or at least should be) downloading and installing a file from a source they don't know and trust, but the following link has both options.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51294-power-options-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend.html

Just remember if you do not have the USB settings tab or Selective Suspend option (which is under USB settings) in the Advanced Settings for your power management profile, you will need to do this edit or install the file.

Once these simple things are done the map update/upgrade should go off without a hitch other than the lengthy download and install process which seems very unnecessary. I downloaded the Windows 10 anniversary upgrade and installed it in far less time.

Reminder: because this is important

Every time there is a big update or upgrade to Windows it undoes all of the registry edits in the areas that are being upgraded/updated so these steps will need to be checked every time we get a new version of windows. The average update will not change these edits unless they are specifically geared toward power management.

Comments

• jthafejthafe Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    I felt it was important to write this up with some detail for the community as this is a recurring problem and there is little to no guidance from TomTom or Windows. In fact, Windows isn't helping because they don't want you editing these features. They just say these things were removed as options to increase battery life. TomTom doesn't test their programs on all versions of pc's out there but they should start including the Surface devices because they represent a completely different class of computer with different eccentricities that affect whether we can use them or not.

As I stated, I ran into these problems before and had to figure all of this out from multiple sources that weren't even related to an update for a TomTom or other GPS device. These "fixes" also solved my problems with my external harddrive and cell phone.
  • DebroDebro Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Jthafe had a lot of time on his hands to write a post this long, but it definitely is the solution on a Surface, and probably will be the case on other computers as well. TomTom should just add this solution to its very short page on connection issues. Actually, you do not need multiple powerplans, just one is enough. What you need is to be able to control is the suspend state of your USB port.

To save you from further reading

If, in advanced power options you see things like sleep, display, and battery, but not USB settings you need to run the following script (copy into notepad, and save it with the extension .reg):

; Created by: Shawn Brink
    ; http://www.eightforums.com
    ; Tutorial: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51294-power-options-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend.html

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3\48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000002

;end script

Restart, and now you should have USB settings/USB selective suspend setting. Disable when running plugged in. The problem will now be gone (if you are not running on battery)

Indeed TomTom/MS probably do not want us to mess with these settings, so they first make you lose all your hair over the problem, and eventually tell you this solution.

Cheers!
  • dgulliver75dgulliver75 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you jthafe, I was having the same issue until I stumbled upon your post. I nearly went and bought a new TomTom as I thought it was the that rather than my surface pro, saved me a few £££££.
  • mehdiali98mehdiali98 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks to you first, l had this issue for a while , sorted in 10 minutes.
  • mehdiali98mehdiali98 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to add l thought it was the cable, ordered a new one online, now I will have a extra to use, :-)
  • Adrian001Adrian001 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    really helpful. Many thanks
  • Carl4242Carl4242 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Thanks for this - solved my disconnects problem.
  • Dan95Dan95 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Thanks. Only thing that worked. I don't even have a Surface laptop, just a regular Dell laptop with windows 10. Crazy that this is the "official way" to update the damn thing.