Dangerous alternating "time & distance remaining" option — TomTom Community

Dangerous alternating "time & distance remaining" option

jcwackyjcwacky Posts: 39 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
I am very concerned that TomTom hasn't taken any action over a significant safety oversight regarding a specific option within the TomTom Go iOS app.

All the other main satnav apps, including Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps always display both the time and distance remaining (plus the ETA).

However, in what appears to have been lazy programming, without any concern for safety, TomTom has instead an option to alternate the time and distance remaining, every few seconds.

Not only does this make it hard to know which metric is currently being displayed at times (as the difference between the very small "mi" for miles and "min" for minutes is hard to see), but even if you can make it out there is a 50% chance that it's not the metric you're interested in. So you either have to stay staring at the screen for a few seconds to wait for it to change to the metric you're after, or you have to keep looking back at the screen several times to make sure you catch the correct metric before it vanishes again. I'm sure you will agree having a feature which needlessly causes the driver to take their eyes off the road longer than necessary is inherently dangerous. Having alternating data on a sat-nav screen isn’t a good idea at all.

It’s not like this is a difficult issue to solve. There is plenty of space in the top bar to just display the remaining time and location at the SAME time, just like every other iOS sat-nav app. Give each it’s own icon and it’ll be easy to see either metric at a single, quick, safe glance.

I've even mocked up how this could look:
1814e3de-4e3f-4deb-a27b-87eb78510a03.png

I’m disappointed that despite many users reporting this safety issue, you have done nothing about it in the 2 years since the app has been available. I trust you will look to resolve this issue ASAP to avoid TomTom GO iOS users being a danger to other road users.

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Agree that this needs to be implemented as soon as possible as it is very dangerous. Also once the remaining distance is less than 100 miles the distance should be shown with decimal points to one place, and two decimal places when the distance is less than 10 miles.

Unfortunately this problem has been mentioned to TomTom many times (and years ago) so I can't see TomTom fixing it.

In fact the last update to TomTom was in May 2018, i.e. 6 months ago (as I write this reply), so the iOS GO Mobile is in desperate need of an update ...

... either that or it would appear that the iOS GO Mobile project is dead! :tired_face:
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I believe that the iOS app is dead now. No updates, dangerous features as mentioned not rectified, the continuing lag, the poor contrast on the traffic bar. Nothing ever gets sorted. I was told two years ago that the advanced planning feature from the previous and far superior app would be implemented. Two years ago. I really think it’s time to move on and find something better. Only things in this apps favour are the traffic is really good and it’s the only app I have found to implement relative volume correctly.
    other than that it’s total garbage and I will have to decide whether to pay in a few months time as the three years grace will be up. Will probably move on
  • robik130robik130 Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    jcwacky wrote:
    I am very concerned that TomTom hasn't taken any action over a significant safety oversight regarding a specific option within the TomTom Go iOS app.

All the other main satnav apps, including Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps always display both the time and distance remaining (plus the ETA).

However, in what appears to have been lazy programming, without any concern for safety, TomTom has instead an option to alternate the time and distance remaining, every few seconds.

Not only does this make it hard to know which metric is currently being displayed at times (as the difference between the very small "mi" for miles and "min" for minutes is hard to see), but even if you can make it out there is a 50% chance that it's not the metric you're interested in. So you either have to stay staring at the screen for a few seconds to wait for it to change to the metric you're after, or you have to keep looking back at the screen several times to make sure you catch the correct metric before it vanishes again. I'm sure you will agree having a feature which needlessly causes the driver to take their eyes off the road longer than necessary is inherently dangerous. Having alternating data on a sat-nav screen isn’t a good idea at all.

It’s not like this is a difficult issue to solve. There is plenty of space in the top bar to just display the remaining time and location at the SAME time, just like every other iOS sat-nav app. Give each it’s own icon and it’ll be easy to see either metric at a single, quick, safe glance.

I've even mocked up how this could look:1814e3de-4e3f-4deb-a27b-87eb78510a03.png

I’m disappointed that despite many users reporting this safety issue, you have done nothing about it in the 2 years since the app has been available. I trust you will look to resolve this issue ASAP to avoid TomTom GO iOS users being a danger to other road users.

it's also frustrating for me.
    It should be solved a long time ago.
  • Clint989Clint989 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I agree. This, plus the dangerosuly difficult to see low-contrast red-on-grey traffic delay data, is a terrible accident and law-suit waiting to happen.
  • kgskaugkgskaug Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    FWIW now with TomTom Navigation 2.0 - still the same issue.
    Can't see more than 1 metric at a time. Of course the ETA is always there from which you can deduce the time remaining.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi @kgskaug

Whilst I agree, I'd prefer not to do mental maths, whilst driving, to work out the time remaining from the ETA and the current time. Anyway, as @jcwacky the OP says, you cannot easily distinguish between the very small "mi" for miles and "min" for minutes.

It is safer for each metric to have its own unique location so that you get the information you need with a sub-second glance instead of two or more seconds to wait for the display to alternate plus the time to mentally distinguish between the very small "mi" for miles and "min" for minutes.

That two seconds plus id very dangerous to take your eyes off the road!

Regards,