Rider 400 changing map display while navigating — TomTom Community

Rider 400 changing map display while navigating

GortsBudGortsBud Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
My Rider 400 has basically become an expensive brick.

While navigating on a route, the map changes to a zoomed out display instead of turn-by-turn navigation. Today it zoomed out and displayed an entire 300 mile route in one half inch square block in the center of the screen. Cancelling the route and selecting it again worked...for about 5 minutes...then the screen changed again. The only way to navigate is to punch the + key about a dozen times so I can at least see the turns. Problem is, since north is always "up", the route rotates up, down, sideways, left, right, etc. Lane guidance and etc. are lost also.

Like I said, it's become an expensive brick.

Is this a software bug? Hardware defect? The unit is up-to-date as of last night.

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 295 [Supreme Pioneer]
    You can try Recovery mode to reset your Rider;
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=SKOo8izV03M
  • GortsBudGortsBud Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    Maybe your device works that way but mine certainly doesn't. 4 tries and not once did it go into "recovery mode." Instead, on the second "tap" it either reboots or shuts down completely.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,086 Superusers
    edited June 24
    Hi
    @GortsBud

Is Automatic zoom.... Set to Zoom in to next turn ???

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Automatic zoom.... Is it set to 'Zoom in to next turn'

I find that zoom 'Based on road type'... is better option when I'm on the Bike

Also try....
    Tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png

Note... the Images are from a Tomtom Car SatNav

Edit... Just an after thought... I was wondering if when you were tapping the
    the ' + ' sign whether you may have tapped the direction of Travel Icon by mistake and the the Map switching to the North-up overview map (With a zoom level view like the view from International Space Station)

Also see... More info on Automatic Map Switching
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1624541/#Comment_1624541

ATB YFM
  • GortsBudGortsBud Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    @YamFazMan

Wow, lot of good info.: stuff I didn't know. Forced me to pull the manual out again and go through it.

The strange part for me is that it starts out showing route guidance view and it switches to overview on it's own without input from me. I still see the giant You are Here arrow but it's useless (particularly when you're looking down from the space station :) ) Also, the "Zoom into next turn" that I usually see doesn't work.

I tried changing to Zoom Based on Road Type. I also turned off automatic screen rotation since that will definitely cause the view to change to Space Station Mode.

I'm leading a 600 mile ride this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,086 Superusers
    edited June 28
    Hi
    @GortsBud

You're welcome, looks like excellent weather for a weekend Ride out :)

ATB YFM