No maps found on Start 25

GPS was not working so connected to mydrive, updated the software which also had a tick against maps. I didn't want the map, but it obviously tried it anyway and failed and now I have no maps. Why would it not check to see if you had free map updates before screwing up the device? How do I now fix it without buying maps, especially as I don't know if the original problem of GPS is resolved?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,795 Superuser
    Hi @mbus

Have s look at the following video and see if that helps

https://tomtom.vanillacommunities.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

On Monday @VikramK or @lampard will see this and hopefully add a small map to help you get the unit working again.

Doug
  • mbusmbus Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for a quick response. I will also add that as the GPS failure occurred whilst out on holiday, that I had to purchase a new device (Tomtom 52) which cost me £120. Another reason for not wanting to throw good money after bad, if you know what I mean.
    I followed the link, could not repair the corrupt map, so did as video said and uninstalled. Restarted Mydrive connect and plugged the tomtom back in. Clicked on the map and then install. It ticks the PC box then starts update.....something has gone wrong.....sorry some items weren't updated.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,765 Superusers
    edited June 22
    Hi
    @mbus

Did you also clear the MyDrive Cache ??? if not you will only re-install the corrupt Map again instead if a Fresh Download & Installed Map

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Welcome to the Community! I've removed the corrupted map now now and you can resume the download on your device by following the steps here: Re-downloading a map

Whenever there are multiple updates available to download, please download them 1 at a time, not all together.Best order to update 1 by 1: (if offered)
    • QuickGPSfix / Navcore
    • Map
    • Speed Cameras
    • Voices
    • Mapshare update (recommended to update last)
    Thanks, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

Thank you for a quick response. I've followed the instructions but I still get "sorry, some items weren't installed" and the device says "something has gone wrong".
    I've been through the procedure 3 times now and still getting the same failure messages.

Of the 3 TomTom devices I've bought the 25 is by far the best one, even given the new one I had to buy.

I really want this one working again, is there any help that can be given?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,765 Superusers
    edited June 25
    Hi
    @mbus

Did you Clear the MyDrive Connect Cache ???
    The MDC Cache is deleted Manually, the cache does not Auto delete... At 9.13GB for the Full Europe Map... Each download soon mounts up

With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the Downloads Tab
    Empty download folder
    Save settings

Also if you don't clear the MyDrive Cache ??? You will only re-install the corrupt Map again instead if a Fresh Download & Installed Map

Or

On the rare occasions that I have problems with MyDrive connect, I delete the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in MyDrive Connect Program...

Using the latest MyDrive Connect on the NAV4 Devices like your Start 25 you can Stop the Download to MyDrive Connect you can't Stop or Clear an Update Queue

But you can Delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders in the MyDrive Connect Program and force a reload of the Cache Data

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom > (HOME3 & MyDrive Connect Folders)
    Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    If you delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders it removes the Cache Folder & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml

A new Home3 Folder and MyDrive Connect folders and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect

Method…..
    (1)... Disconnecting the Start 25 from the PC and Reset it by holding down the off button for 20 secs until you hear the ‘drumbeat’ release the button
    (2)... Opening ‘Run’ on the PC (click on the windows symbol bottom left – type ‘run’ in the search box – open ‘run’.
    (3)... Type into the ‘run’ box %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter
    (5)... A new window opens
    (6)... Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    (7)…Close all windows
    (8)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC
    (9)... Open/Run ‘My Drive Connect... You will have to login as if MyDrive Connect was a fresh install... And hopefully all should be well

ATB YFM

edited June 25
    Hi
    @mbus

I've just noticed
    Check the first 2 Characters of your Start 25 serial number
    If the serial number starts ' BK ' the device Is End of life

hxcqac3u1gl3.jpg
    Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB

ATB YFM

I'm not sure what's actually going wrong but seems as I can see that the map download on your device has failed due to connection time-out. In most cases, this is related to an interrupted connection. If possible, please use a Network Cable(hardwired connection) > WiFi may work but can be slow and then cause a Time-Out.

See the public FAQ here:Advise for downloading updates

For the last time, follow the steps in the YFM's comment to empty the download the folder and restart the download again. Otherwise, please get in touch with our support.

Regards, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!