Massive Calorie burn difference - why? — TomTom Community

Massive Calorie burn difference - why?

DLR2017DLR2017 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have a Tom Tom Multisport and have noticed that on the same run when I always wear my garmin vivomove hr, the calories burned difference is massive and I don’t know why? I have been through all of my personal setting to make sure that they’re identical and they are yet this morning my 8km run tracked at burning 497 calories on my Garmin and my Multisport at 1049 calories burned. Does anyone know why this happens and if I can do anything to resolve it. Thanks in anticipation!!

Best Answer

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,677
    Superusers
    Because they are using completely different methodologies. Garmin uses FirstBeat technologies which looks at RR values and other data (which is always low in my opinion) while TT is making a straight calculation based on calorie burn tables, taking into account age, weight etc. If you go to an online calculator and put is your stats and GHR you will find it matches TT.
  • DLR2017DLR2017 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks tfarabaugh for your response.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but please could you explain what your abbreviations mean - the RR and GHR ones.
    Also what calculator could i look at please?
    Many thanks
  • DLR2017DLR2017 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for your very detailed response once again, much appreciated.

I didn’t realise there were so many different methods employed in monitoring the exercise that we do!

Thanks again