Age ranking in Sports App — TomTom Community

Age ranking in Sports App

mbreummbreum Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have for several years been a happy user of a TomTom running watch

One of the best facilities is actually one TomTom (as far as I have googled), doesn't tell much about

After uploading a run to the the mysports app you get the message

"This pace ranks you in the top x% of men your age"

It is fun competing against people my own age, but I have a couple of questions to this ranking:

1)
Does the ranking come from some scientific material outside of the accumulated TomTom user database or should it be read as

This pace ranks you in the top x% of men your age, who have tracked their run using a TomTom watch?

The difference being, men using a sports watch to track their runs, are probably more serious about running and might have a better pace than the general public.

2)
And another question about the ranking:

Is the ranking dependent of the length of the run? If my run has been 7 miles, should the ranking be read as

This pace ranks you in the top x% of men your age, who have been specifically running a 7 miles run.

Hope for an answer and perhaps a link to a page, where this ranking is discussed

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,630
    Superusers
    There is scientific basis at all for the rankings and is based on TomTom users only. It is fairly meaningless as it does not take into account training load, fitness, distance, terrain run on or anything else. Enjoy it is you find it useful but bear in mind it has no relevance to reality.