How To Not Design Software And Aggravate Customers — TomTom Community

How To Not Design Software And Aggravate Customers

I have just had the extremely unpleasant experience of dealing with a failed SD card in my TomTom device. Thanks to some completely inappropriate design choices on the part of TomTom and its no doubt illustrious software development staff, my GPS navigation has been reduced to a box that lights up. And not much else.

Apparently, someone decided that if a TomTom device does not have a map installed internally, and does not have an SD card inserted, the user will not -- under any circumstances -- be allowed to insert an SD card and format it so that it can be used to install a new (or recently purchased) map. My map purchase is for the USA, and is too large for the internal memory. Since a replacement SD cannot be accessed or formatted, I was trapped in a real-life Catch-22. Luckily, I was able to spend a significant portion of my evening figuring out a workaround and downloading an alternative map without 3D buildings that was just barely able to squeeze into my device's internal memory.

I don't enjoy wasting my time, and this is a completely unacceptable situation. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to prevent the user from formatting a SD card when no maps are installed. I find it very, very, very hard to believe that anyone can justify causing your PAYING CUSTOMERS this sort of aggravation and frustration. This is my device. I bought it. If I want to boot it up with no maps and click and tap through every single menu item THAT IS MY DECISION, NOT TOMTOM's. Preventing the user from correcting a situation similar to mine only conveys a sense of contempt for your customers.

Now, I know that no one from TomTom management will read this. No one will care. I'm just some nameless Internet midnight poster who was dumb enough to give TomTom hundreds (actually thousands) of dollars over the last decade or so.

But I won't be making this mistake again. Hear me now, TomTom: you have lost a customer -- for life. I will never pay you a single cent again. This was the last straw.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @queensgirl96

Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account then this situation will not happen again.
    But I agree with you, that this Catch22 should not arise in the first place. Perhaps there should be a dummy map in MyDriveConnect to avoid this.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @queensgirl96

A smaller map has been activated for your device.

It should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect, which can be installed on the internal memory of the device.

Regards
    Vikram