Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure.

Answers

• chen_algerchen_alger Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    edited June 19
    MY GO 40 show "No maps available"
    Find a new map (Europe map) with TomTom MyDrive Connect
    I deleted all the DATA but my GO 40 space is still only 6509 MB. The minimum map requires 6575MB.
    So I am using 16GB mircoSD for a new map to be installed, but it is not to find this device.
    Is there an older map that can be restored?
  • radek68radek68 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Hello,

I have the same problem as @chemk75 , I have checked my account but I can not find the smallest map of Europe. please help. @VikramK
  • itsbrickeditsbricked Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Alright... Same problem with my GO 600. The SD card is busted, the Europe map I own won't fit in the device's internal memory, and without a map the thing is fully stuck, not letting me to the setup menu to reinitialize the card.

So, as there seemingly are admins reading this thread, how about adding a small "rescue" map to my account that I can install in the device and get over with this.

BTW, it seems that in Finland the situation with TomTom support is particularly disastrous: the phone number only plays back a recorded message referring to a live chat on the TomTom website, but no such chat can be found on the site, nor does the "send us email" page work, as it asks a "Chat Transcript" as a mandatory input, while there's no way to get one (no chat), and no field on the page to fill in such a transcript, even if one could somehow be obtained. So, there's absolutely no way to contact support through an "official" route...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,795 Superusers
    edited June 18
    Hi
    @itsbricked

8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    Maybe Tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    (Snip)So, there's absolutely no way to contact support through an "official" route...

Suomi (Finland)
    Now Chat only
    Keskustelutunnit on lueteltu alla.
    Maanantai - Keskiviikko: 11:00 AM - 02:00 PM, 03:00 PM - 06:00 PM EEST
    Torstai: 12:45 PM - 02:00 PM, 03:00 PM - 06:00 PM EEST
    Perjantai: 11:00 AM - 02:00 PM, 03:00 PM - 06:00 PM EEST
    Lauantai - Sunnuntai: Suljettu

Email....
    Scroll to the bottom of this page
    From the Support Menu list
    Click 'Contact us'
    Or
    Click Here for a direct link to 'Contact us'....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/locale/en_GB

Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Drill down through the appropriate links
    You will eventually get to....

FAQS --- FORUMS ---- EMAIL US---- PHONE US

OR

Email Direct Link...
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4692/p/2986/es/0
    After Clicking on the Link
    Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Note... You need to be logged into the site for the Email Direct link to work

ATB YFM

@chen_alger

8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    Maybe Tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM

Hi, this exact same situation has happened to me. I moved the only map I had to the SD card, which seems to have mysteriously failed. Now the device won't allow me to format a new SD card. I was able to download an alternative USA map without 3D buildings. This is quite ridiculous.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,019 TomTom Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @chen_alger

Welcome to the Community! I've added a smaller (Greece & Cyprus) map on your device, please connect and download the map. After this, Soft reset the device and when the map screen shows, insert the SD card and format the SD card on the device when prompt shows. Once the format completes then Check for EU map update and download it on SD card when recognized.

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• TrikaaTrikaa Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi
    I´m in the same situation. GO 5000, no map, Europe maps available are larger than internal memory. May I also get a small map activated on my account?
    Thank you.
    edited June 19
    Hi
    @queensgirl96

Tomtom are offering a small (Local) Map to your Account to fix the problem

I've been using a small UK&ROI map to to pad out the memory on my NAV4 devices for years... I hate the 3D Building, But back then, if there was enough space on the device to install the full Europe Map, MyDrive Connect would not allow the option to install the Full Europe Map (Without 3D Building)
    I purchased the small UK&ROI map to pad out the Memory on my NAV4 devices, then MyDrive Connect would allow me to install the Full Europe (Without 3D Building) onto a 16GB Micro SDHC Memory card (I never bothered to update the UK&ROI Maps, just used them for padding)

ATB YFM

Trikaa wrote: »
    Hi
    I´m in the same situation. GO 5000, no map, Europe maps available are larger than internal memory. May I also get a small map activated on my account?
    Thank you.
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up

ATB YFM

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been added for your device.

It will be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram

Hi Vikram

it helped - thank you very much for your support. After installing the smaller map and insertig the micro-sd card it immediately showed me the option to format it. :)

I hope this will be fixed in a software upgrade so that you don't have to do it manually anymore. A dummy map would probably be the quickest fix possible.

However - thanks again for the quick help.

Regards

MT
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,785 TomTom Moderator
    @queensgirl96

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1653899/#Comment_1653899

@nijsbert @itsbricked @Trikaa

Smaller maps have been activated for your devices.

Should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,785 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @chemk75 and @radek68

I have added smaller maps for download. Should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    edited June 19
    Hi
    @nijsbert @itsbricked @Trikaa

Don't delete the small map after use, keep it installed on the 'On-board Memory' of the device... The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card

ATB YFM

I have added smaller maps for download. Should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram

@VikramK I have appeared the option to install UK, but I need Spain and Portugal. And I do not see any option to install europe by zones.

Help plisss .....
    edited June 19
    Hi
    @radek68

It doesn't matter What or Where the small Map is... The small Map is only a keeper to avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card

When the Small Map is installed on the 'On-board Memory' of the device....
    You will be able to Format and use a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card and install the Main Maps onto the Micro SDHC Memory Card

Don't delete the small map after use, keep it installed on the 'On-board Memory' of the device... The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card

ATB YFM

The problem is that Europe maps do not enter the internal memory of the browser, there is the option to install it in the sd but it works much worse.

There is an option to install smaller map areas, they indicate it in the forums and in tomtom helps. But I do not get the option, so VikramK has to activate it, but it still does not appear, today I saw the UK map of 850 megabytes, with an acceptable size.
    I hope that @VikramK reads me and I can add a smaller area of europe with the map of Spain.

Thank you.
    edited June 21
    Hi
    @radek68

On my three NAV4 Devices, I have the Full Europe Map installed on Class10 16GB MIcro SDHC cards, I haven noticed any speed or performance difference
    But saying that, any lack of Free working space on the on-board Memory, certainly does effect speed and performance

ATB YFM

Looks like this will be a problem for a lot of TomTom owners trying to update maps before summer vacation.
    Why can't you add a small map for all TomTom accounts, so we don't have to ask for help individually. It could be a small dummy map, like a world map without zoom options or details.

Moderators, please add a small map to my account, I don't want to spend £30 purchasing a Scandinavia app to make my TomTom operational again.
    Hi
    @FroBe
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up

ATB YFM

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been added for your device.

It should be available for download in MyDrive Connect.

This should get installed on the internal memory of the device which will allow you to format the memory card on the device and install a larger map.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
  • asiakasiak Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 20
    I found myself in the same situation after a SD Card failure.

Can you be kind enough to also assign a small map to my account?

Thank you!

Sorry for posting again, now i have seen that its already aktive in my account.
  • SandruSandru Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi have a Go 6000 and it is not possible to download the new map update even if I remove the current map on the unit first. All the types is to big. I do not want to buy a SD Card in order to make room for the new map. Is it possible for you to give me an opportunity to download a smaller europa map with fewer zones (Scandinavia and Germany e.g.)? I do not need the whole map and therefore I dont want to buy a SD card. This model wasnt cheap when I bought it, and I think it is reasonale to ask for a map with fewer zones/countries. Please let me know if you need any further information. (I have tried to contact the support center in Denmark, but the answer I got could not be understood. I think it was a translation from a machine, it didnt make sense. Furthermore it was evident, that my letter wasnt understood as well. I am very sorry it isnt possible to call to a danish support phone anymore, and I do find it strange, that the mailsupport apparently isnt available in danish as well. Ans in that case it would be better if you let os know. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best Regards Kirsten
  • edd200sxedd200sx Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Request for small map here too
    SD card fail here too.

Widespread problem!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online47

Bembo
Bembo
CJO
CJO
Dagobert
Dagobert