GO 6200 another week another issue — TomTom Community

GO 6200 another week another issue

MrDJMrDJ Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
following on from my last issues > https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112453/6200-fais-on-all-updates-maps-and-cameras/p1?new=1

last week i had a new map update. i loaded it which took roughly 1.5 hours and for the first time it actually succeeded and i got the green tick instead of the usual red fail screen.

problem now is the whole screen was white except for my home icon and my journey end icon.
couldnt check any settings as couldnt change screen. tried the usual off/on and on bootup the map showed faintly in the background but as soon as it was fully loaded it goes white screen again. tried this 4 times then had to do a factory reset and that sorted it.
i am now running map europe v1030.9618 released 4/2019 but there is now no new map in sight to try to download again.
do i now have to wait for the next new map to come out in a few months.

im honestly not liking the way TT is going with this wifi upload only malarky and much prefer the trusted connection to computer with my previous 4 tom tom back to the first one ever released.

any advise appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,063 Superusers
    edited June 16
    Hi
    @MrDJ

Pinch the zoom the Map right down and swipe around the screeen, see if there are any map details at all... Check your default Map
    I had the Same after updating my GO 6200 the device set Australia Map as the default Map instead of Europe MAP

For USB Update see Option... (2)

I have Virgin Media 110Mb/s connection Fibre Optic Broadband ....
    My GO 6200 shows Wi-Fi connection... 72Mb/s
    I chose the 110Mb/s hard-wired connection

I Installed the 9.13GB Full Europe Map over USB with MDC running in the background
    The Map installed and device ready to use... 20 Minutes 15 seconds (Stopwatch)

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 620 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • MrDJMrDJ Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi YamFazMan and thank you for the reply.

i did scroll around the whole map and it was all white screen and only the two icons home and destination were visible.
    i have BT+ 60mbps and usually have no issues downloading and the signal strength always shown excellent.

i only have the one map loaded which is Europe. i had attempted twice in the past to update map and it failed each time. this time it actually worked but then when it started it was white screen.

as i done a factory reset it had returned to the map update from April v1030.9618 and i have no idea where i can download the latest one from which i received on the TT on Saturday 8th June as the update page is now empty.
    i dont use the device much at all. bought in december and used about 3 times so far but i do plug in every 3-4 weeks to charge up the battery.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,564 Superuser
    I don't understand though -- the latest maps ARE v1030. You already have the latest ones.
    thanks for the reply.
    big wrote: »
    I don't understand though -- the latest maps ARE v1030. You already have the latest ones.
    im confused myself now. the map version says April 2019 v1030 but isnt the last digits 9618 the updated roads or such like and if it is the latest how come i only received the download last saturday. and then after it white screened wouldnt a factory restore put it back to the previous map. just guessing as i have no clue.

DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @MrDJ

You state that you only have one map on your unit. I would suggest therefore that you add at least one more map for 2 reasons. I would suggest that you try any map that is small enough to fit on the internal memory alongside the Europe map that you have at the moment. The UK and ROI or if that is not your country then your specific country if possible. If you are not sure then Venezuela as it is only 29mb and so takes up next to nothing memory wise.

1 To see if when you load this second map whether or not you can see the map on the screen when you select the map in Maps

2 If you have a problem trying to sort the European map out and you finish with No Map available or Found then you will not be able to start the GO6200 properly. By having a second valid map you will be able to start the unit and it will be easier to sort the problem out

Doug
    thanks Doug.
    im in the UK. i did have Cyprus map on there last month but ive sadly just lost my best mate who i go to Cyprus with so deleted it a few weeks ago as i cant see myself going on my own.
    i have 4.22gb internal and 31.03gb sd card so plenty of space.
    im adding the UK and Ireland map now as dont think ill be visiting europe any time soon so might as well add a map that i could use if the Europe one fails again.

thanks for all the advise so far everyone. much appreciated.
    even though not supported now i think i may well go back to my trusted 930 if this keeps messing up on downloads.
    edited June 17
    thanks all. understand now.
    as i said ive loaded the uk map now as well as the europe so will see how we get on after the next future map update.