Problems losing guidance map screen on my Start 25

I have a problem with my Start25. When I set a destination and select the route type all is well and the map screen shows the route and I get voice guidance OK. This can be OK for almost 200 miles or maybe only 10 miles but suddenly the map screen disappears and I get the Main Menu up but voice guidance continues OK. If I press DONE quickly the screen showing the map guidance return OK but the after a short time the same thing happens. If I dont press DONE the Main Menu screen goes into SETTINGS and the if I leave it it the goes into VOICE SETTINGS menu and then the some of the tick-boxes get a tick put in them, or removed, totally at random but all the time I still get voice guidance. My Start25 is up to date and I am usig latest MyDriveConnect. I have another Start25 which is OK..
I have tried doing a "Drum Roll" reset which does not help.
Any ideas please.
Thanks & kind regards

Answers

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Could try this one, but maybe wait a couple of days, as it seems like some people are having issues with connecting to MyDrive Connect.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898
  • TrunmijTrunmij Posts: 22 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks! I will wait until messages on TomTom site say that some people are having problems with My Drive Connect disappear.
    By the way, do all POIs downloaded to my TomTom and proximity alerts for POIs etc remain or do they have to be downloaded again please?
    As far as I recall, it all stays.
    Sorry to be so long coming back but have been waiting to carry out the fix you suggested on 18 May. I carried out the fix and it seemed OK on a few short (<30 mile) trips all was well, so I though problem closed.<br>
    However, on Sunday, I did a 150 mile trip and all seemed well but after the end of a 50-mile motorway section, approaching some junctions, it started misbehaving again. Initially, just going to the Main Menu allowing me to press "Done" but then going to the original problem; ie into MAIN MENU, SETTINGS and the if I leave it it the goes into VOICE SETTINGS menu and then the some of the tick-boxes get a tick put in them, or removed, totally at random but all the time I still get voice guidance. In addition occasionally it did a "Clear route".

It was a bit of a problem as I am in France towing a caravan so needed accurate navigation.

Have you any other suggestions please? Would a "Factory reset" help?

I have a spare TomTom START and I use one for my home (UK) maps, POIs, UK Speed Cameras etc and the other, the one that is playing up, for foreign trips so I have reverted to using my UK as it also has full Europe maps on it and so adding some of my French POIs etc to the UK one to enable me to navigate. So a Factory reset would not be a big gamble.

Also how can I contact TomTom support in the UK please? Is there an email address I can use? I don't know if t is because I am in France but I find the UK website is a maze and finding how to raise a support request in an impossibility (maybe IP issues)!

Thanks and kind regards.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,656 Superuser
    edited May 29
    HI @Trunmij

I think I would go for the factory Reset option. If I remember correctly you may be offered a Reset without affecting your data or a full. Try the no data affected first then try the full if that does not work. I appreciate you may not know for a while whether you have sorted it.

Can you advise the first 2 characters of the Serial number so I can give you the correct contact details.

Charge the unit for 2 hours before doing the reset or have it on a mains charge.

Doug
    Hello Doug

Thanks for the reply. I will try the Factory Reset, initially without affecting my data etc if that is available.

It will take a few days use after doing this to see if the problem is resolved.

The serial no of my TomTom Start25 starts with BQ

Many thanks

Regards

Jim
    Hi @Trunmij

The following hopefully is the page where you can start the process to Email Tomtom

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4754/p/2701/es/0/sno/BQ

Here is the Customer Support Number for UK.

02079 490 134

Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug
    Doug
    Sorry not to have come back sooner but I have done the Factory reset with the option to save my settings etc. However, have not done any long trips since I updated it; maximum 10 miles; and problem has not reoccurred so far. On Saturday I have a 200 mile trip so will see how it goes then. Previously, the problem seems to happen on long journeys and/or with junctions close together.
    I will keep you posted.
    Regards
    Jim
    The SatNav failed almost immediately on starting on a 240 mile journey so I abandoned using it. I have used it in the last 48 hours and find I am back to the original problems; reverting automatically into menu options or clearing route.
    I am now trying to raise a support request with TomTom but having difficultly getting through their maze of a website.
    I wonder if a full Factory Reset would help and/or can I download and reinstall the TomTom's internal operating system or firmware. (If so, how?).
    I will ring TomTom when I am back in the UK but, in the meantime, have you any further observation.
    Regards
    Jim
    Thanks, but I tried this way back as yo suggested previously on 18/5/19.

I am having difficulty raising a support request with TomTom; links don't work or seem to be a maze looking for am email address for Support, UK preferably.

Regards

Jim
    Hi @Trunmij

Did the email link I gave you in my post not work?

Also can you find the memory information on your device particularly the amount of free memory on your internal memory.

Also do you have any extra memory fitted.

Doug
    Doug

Thanks for the reply. I could not get the link to work.

I have 2,800 MB free on my device. The Start 25 has no capability of adding extra memory (i.e. no SD Card slots).

Jim
    There is a memory card slot on it. It is on the back, either next to the USB plug or on the back cover.
    Wow! Sorry, never noticed it and hadn't missed one in view of free memory available in unit's internal storage
    Jim
    edited June 11
    Hi @Trunmij

Ok. Odd as the link still works for me.

Go to the bottom of this page and click on Contact us in the Support column.

This will take you to a request to confirm the type of product. If you work your way through the questions you will eventually be able to enter the Start 25 and also the first two characters of your units serial number . When you get the option to describe the problem select Troubleshooting and then you will get a page with the Email option or Phone details.

My reason for asking the available memory space was to check whether you had very little free memory which can cause problems.

Doug
    Despite several attempts I cannot get through the maze of the TomTom website to raise a support request. Maybe it is because I am in France and there is an IP clash stopping me accessing the UK site from here. I am returning home in the UK late tonight so I am abandoning this until I am back home and have time to pick it up again.
    Thanks to all for help so far. I will update again with progress, or not, when home.

Jim
    FINALLY!!
    Back in the UK tried this again with no success. I called the UK Support number and have worked out the issue with them.
    It transpires that with my laptop running Windows 7 PRO and using Chrome browser it does not work.
    BUT!, the agent suggested trying another browser so tried Firefox and it works fine.
    Who would have thought that TomTom Support does not work with Chrome.
    So I have now raised a support request with TomTom for the problem I am having with my TomTom Start25.

Thanks to all for their comments and advice.

Will comment further when I receive the advice of TomTom UK!

Jim
  • electronickelectronick Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issue, so if you get a resolution, it would be great to know how to fix
    Electronick
    The fix that TomTom gave me ie a Full Factory reset has not worked so I have gone back to TomTom. I will update this case as and when I get a response.
    Electronick

Sorry to be so long coming back on this. TomTom told me to do a "Recovery" following the instructions at https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898/~/navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross/track/BvPOdwpqDv8a~ZuUGjC_~yQrxs0qey75Mv~u~zj~PP8n

I think that this is the same as Zsolt gave me on 11th June which did not work, see above. However, I tried it again. After I did this the TomTom could not find any GPS satellites so I connected to MyDriveConnect to download the latest Quickfix. In addition it offered me a Navcore update too which it said must be applied.

I updated Navcore and downloaded Quickfix. This resolved the GPS satellite issue.

So, just have to test the TomTom in my car to see if this has, finally resolved the original problem..

I will keep you updated.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,548 Superusers
    Hi
    @Trunmij

When you initiate the Recovery Mode it usually rolls the NavKit back to the previous version i.e... Without the The GPS Week Number Roll-over (WNRO) fix

And as you found you needed to install the latest (fixed) 12.075 version....

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1654017/#Comment_1654017

If your still struggling to get a GPS Fix
    Try... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1654018/#Comment_1654018

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

The latest update to fix the GPS Week Number Roll-Over for the NAV3 devices has been available since...
    Version 12.075 Released on 26 July 2018
    This update applies to: GO 1000, GO 1005 / GO 2050, GO 1050, GO 1050 World, GO 2405, GO 2435, GO 2505, GO 2435, GO 2505 LIVE, GO 2535, GO 2535 TM WTE, GO LIVE 1000, GO LIVE 1005, GO LIVE 1050 / GO LIVE 2050, GO LIVE 1535, GO LIVE 2050, GO LIVE 2535 M, GO LIVE 820, GO LIVE 825, GO LIVE Camper & Caravan Edition, PRO 5150 Truck, Start 20 / Via 220, Start 25, Start 60 (2012), Via 110, Via 115, Via 120 / Via 160, Via 125, VIA 130 / 135, VIA 1400 / 1405, VIA 1410 / 1415, VIA 1430 / 1435, VIA 1500, VIA 1505, Via 1530 / 1535, VIA 160, VIA 1605, Via 180, Via 220, VIA 260 / 280, VIA All Blacks Edition, VIA LIVE 120, VIA LIVE 125, VIA LIVE 160, VIA LIVE 180
    •Bug fixes and improvements: Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.
    • This update prepares your navigation device for the week number rollover in April 2019 which has an impact on GPS.

Here Tomtom FAQ...What's new in the latest software for my navigation device?
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/navkit

My NAV3 Via120 Live & GO 825 Live both work fine with NavKit Version 12.075

To check NavKit version... Version 12.075
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Left Cursor once for next page
    Tap (Me and my device)
    Tap (About my device)
    Second line... App Version
    Follow on-screen prompts to exit

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1654017/#Comment_1654017

If your still struggling to get a GPS Fix
    Try... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1654018/#Comment_1654018

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Note your comments and I can confirm I have latest software etc.

Howvever, I am still having the original problem, i.e.:-

Where the map screen disappears, and I get the Main Menu screen up, but voice guidance continues OK. If I press DONE quickly the screen showing the map guidance return OK but the after a short time the same thing happens. If I don’t press DONE the Main Menu screen goes into SETTINGS and the if I leave it, it then goes into VOICE SETTINGS menu and then the some of the tick-boxes get a tick put in them, or removed, totally at random but all the time I still get voice guidance. The fault will reoccur after a few moments making the TomTom virtually useless.

So, back to TomTom for advice (again)!

Kind regards to all
    TomTom have come back to me and say that my Start25 would need to be sent n for repair. I guess it is a hardware malfunction.
    They have said it will be £70-75.
    Unfortunately, I guess it is the end of the road for this TomTom. I don't think that £70-75 to repair the TomTom is worth it. It is now beyond economical repair. I bought the unit new in August 2013 and with a retailers special off only paid £89 for it. As the device is almost 6 years old I think I would be better spending the cost of repairs on a new device.

Does anyone know of someone who may be more economical that TomTom?

Otherwise, I will sell it on eBay marking it for repair or spares.

Kind regards to all